Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Please help me pick the right ski!

supergoose

Hi Bu Crew, I'am 6'3, 175lbs, 51 yrs old and a slighty above avarage skier looking for a new ski . Because of hand injuries I can't release the rope if necessary while being dragged during a deep water start, therefore I take off from the dock and can't use a double high wrap. I'll probably have to get a front hi wrap and a rear toe plate, any suggestions? Thanks and Think SUMMER!!!!!

Hi Bu Crew, I'am 6'3, 175lbs, 51 yrs old and a slighty above avarage skier looking for a new ski . Because of hand injuries I can't release the rope if necessary while being dragged during a deep water start, therefore I take off from the dock and can't use a double high wrap. I'll probably have to get a front hi wrap and a rear toe plate, any suggestions? Thanks and Think SUMMER!!!!!

I take it you're not a course skier & pretty much a free skier? Some clarification on that point may be a good thing.

Interesting.

I am similar age. Have tried double high wraps.... and they just don't work for me. Yes, I can get up on them..... but my off side wake-crossing is impossible. I am not a regular course skier. (Although I just bought a course to try and become one.)

All that to say, I bought a CDX from Wiley's 2 years ago with a front Animal binding, and a RTP (rear toe piece). My deep water starts are with my free foot at my side. Folks laugh.... but that's just the way it is. Two foot starts cause too much water to collect in my face, which leads to my left ear, which is a no-no.... because I have a left ear perforation that can't get water in there. (Another long story.)

PS. I had originally bought the HO Truth..... a very wild ski..... too wild for me..... kept the Animal bindings, and replaced with the more civilized and forgiving (yet fantastic) CDX.

NET: Wiley's in Washington sells the CDX with Animals VERY reasonably. A great ski for a good to very good to very very good skier.

Edited by doughickey

What's your old ski? Do you ever ski the course or are you exclusively a free skier?

What speed do you prefer to ski?

What's your old ski? Do you ever ski the course or are you exclusively a free skier?

What speed do you prefer to ski?

My old ski is a very old Obrien 68": don't even know the name. Also I probably won't be skiing "the course",just free skiing at 28-32 mph. Thanks for the reponses and the information!!!

Take a look at the HO Freeride series, either the 67in. Burner or the 69in. Charger. I've been skiing the HO

Rival for the past several years and it's even been a great ski for free skiing. The Freeride skis are heavier

and more tapered to the rear and probably more suitable for what you are looking for.

Having said that, I'm 48 yrs. old and also a slighlty better than average free skier with little to no opportunity

for course skiing, and I just recently purchased the HO Triumph instead of the Burner or 65in. Venture (I'm

20 lbs. lighter than you so I was looking for a shorter ski). The Triumph is narrower than the Freeride skis,

but still a wide-bodied ski, and without the center-line ridge. It's intended for faster skiing (maybe 32-34mph)

and apparently prefers to be on edge. Anyway, just another option.

Coming from your "very old O'Brien" (mine was a 66in. World Team Comp, circa late 1970's, before I bought

the Rival), I think you'll be very pleased with any of the above.

Supergoose,

I have a 2005 67" HO Truth for sale. The ski is set up with a front HO animal binding and rear HO toe plate. The only drawback is it has medium bindings, and by looking at your height and weight I assume you are probably a large. The ski is posted on WSR if you want to take a look at it.

Supergoose,

I have a 2005 67" HO Truth for sale. The ski is set up with a front HO animal binding and rear HO toe plate. The only drawback is it has medium bindings, and by looking at your height and weight I assume you are probably a large. The ski is posted on WSR if you want to take a look at it.

RR', Your right, I'd need a large binding but thanks for the post.We went to see our new lxi today and our dealer is a Connelly dealer also. Any imput on the connelly concept with draft binding?

Supergoose,

RR', Your right, I'd need a large binding but thanks for the post.We went to see our new lxi today and our dealer is a Connelly dealer also. Any imput on the connelly concept with draft binding?

I don't know if its still the same ski, but I had a 1990 connely concept that I used for years. It was a very forgiving ski, but also very course-capable. I managed to run 32 off on it at 36 mph without a wing after I got the fin drilled and set up the way I wanted it. I absolutely loved that ski. Then some bastard broke into my garage and stole it. Mad.gif Anyway, my guess is they have't made the ski any worse over the years, so you should definately try it out.

Supergoose,

What is "WSR"?

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting.

I am similar age. Have tried double high wraps.... and they just don't work for me. Yes, I can get up on them..... but my off side wake-crossing is impossible. I am not a regular course skier. (Although I just bought a course to try and become one.)

All that to say, I bought a CDX from Wiley's 2 years ago with a front Animal binding, and a RTP (rear toe piece). My deep water starts are with my free foot at my side. Folks laugh.... but that's just the way it is. Two foot starts cause too much water to collect in my face, which leads to my left ear, which is a no-no.... because I have a left ear perforation that can't get water in there. (Another long story.)

PS. I had originally bought the HO Truth..... a very wild ski..... too wild for me..... kept the Animal bindings, and replaced with the more civilized and forgiving (yet fantastic) CDX.

NET: Wiley's in Washington sells the CDX with Animals VERY reasonably. A great ski for a good to very good to very very good skier.

Doug, don't worry about getting up the way you do. I am a course skier who skis into 32 off not as good as some but not bad and I am a back foot out rtp skier also. No shame in that.

I'm not the same age, but I second the CDX. I had and still have that ski, I updgrade to the Truth for several reasons, the CDX was much more forgiving around the turns and choppy water and much easier to get up on while still enjoying a very responsive rec. ski.

Supergoose,

I have owned and skied on a Connelly Concept for about the last 10 years (changed about 2 seasons ago to a Goode and F1). I skied the course on it for several years with success. Anyways, I have always liked the Concept. It is a good performance ski with a fair amount of forgiveness to it. My set up it a Stoker binding with RTP. I recently purchased a Concept for my wife with Draft bindings. The bindings seem quite nice, though she has not had the opportunity to try them yet. The one thing that I don't like about the Concept is the fin because it does not have any vertical adjustment to it, only forward or backwards. I had Connelly put the same fin block that they put on the F1, much more flexible for fine tuning.

I normally like to deal with Lake Elmo Sports. I have always gotten very good service and competitive prices from them. Chuck has always been willing to special order something for me that they do not stock (like the modified Connelly)