Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shower Install w/ Heater

mlange

For those of you with both a heater and shower, are you tapping into a single location for the hot water and y-ing off of it for both the heater and shower? Or are they tapped into two separate spots?

I guess I'm concerned about not having enough hot water if I y-off of the same spot.

Thanks,

Mike

For those of you with both a heater and shower, are you tapping into a single location for the hot water and y-ing off of it for both the heater and shower? Or are they tapped into two separate spots?

I guess I'm concerned about not having enough hot water if I y-off of the same spot.

Thanks,

Mike

The standard install has the shower & Heater in two different locations.

My hot shower line comes directly off the block drain hole on the passenger side. I don't have the boat here, but I'm pretty sure the heater taps into the intake manifold on the Monsoon. Edwin has a pic of a 325 Monsoon here.

There was this thread where liquidmx discussed moving his shower line to a T off the heater line. Haven't heard any results, but might be worth PMing him if he doesn't see this thread...

If you are installing both now, go with quick release fitting to make it easy to disconnect the heater when the core craps out.

Thanks for the responses.

My heater is already installed and getting the hot water from the intake manifold. I'm adding the shower this weekend, so I think I'll do the "standard" install and get it from the block on the passenger side.

Hopefully I'll get it done good and quick on Saturday so we can un-numb ourselves on Sunday during our first time out.

Thanks again.

Mike

I'd suggest using the port side engine drain plug. I don't have any clear pics of it, but I've installed a quick release where the hot water line connects to the block. Drains in no time and makes it easy to blow out the shower line. Can't recall which Northerner to credit for the suggestion but it works like a champ.

I'm planning on doing my shower install this weekend and I'll write up a DIY article on it along the way.

Oh, and I'll reference Jerry's article, too. :)

Mike

No use yet, its still tax season and my doc hasnt cleared the knee yet.

I was having problems running off the block drain due to silt and crap from the Derty Delta. When I looked at a friends Sanger he had the shower coming off the intake where the heater is (and he was running both as well). I instantly thought, Duh a higher location = less junk in the lines. Then I started thinking about the whole starving the heater, and or shower when they are both in use. The reality is, the shower only gets used when pre-heating a suit or the like before or after a set while the heater wouldnt do much good during that short idle anyways. Provided both are pulling hot water, the heater wont be starved under power since its doubtful anyone would be sitting on the back washing down. And the same can be said in reverse for the shower. I also think the shower pulls VERY little water in comparison to the heater. I will say this is all speculation until I actually get on the water and give it a real world test. As an FYI when I first installed the shower it worked great with the fake a lake, but it was clogged immediately upon real world use.

Note to anyone with a strainer on their RAW water pickup: I am debating whether to install the strainer I bought inline with the raw water pickup, has anyone done this with good results? I am afraid of two possible issues: either a starving of water to the raw water impeller, or having to change that strainer every 15 seconds because there is so much junk running through the water anyways.

Ok, I got it in and working, but I've got two questions...

1. What switch is everyone going off of that corresponds to the "Shower" breaker on the breaker panel?

2. How loud is the water pump when it's running? Mine is pretty loud.

EDIT:

Regarding the noise... I'm wondering if I have the rubber grommets in the wrong direction. I have the "fat" part of the grommet currently between the pump mounting place and the closeout panel. Anyone know if I should reverse them?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mlange

Pump is a noisy beast - no doubt about it. Not sure that the grommet orientation is going to make much difference.

Regarding the switch, you might consider mounting a new one back in the trunk near the mixing valve - much more convenient there than at the helm. I haven't moved mine yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
Pump is a noisy beast - no doubt about it. Not sure that the grommet orientation is going to make much difference.

Regarding the switch, you might consider mounting a new one back in the trunk near the mixing valve - much more convenient there than at the helm. I haven't moved mine yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

Good idea regarding the switch. Hadn't thought of it. I may need to add that to the list.

Thanks for the confirmation on the pump noise. Makes me feel much better.

Mike

Just saw this http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=S110S that looks like it would be nice for getting a switch back there.

Mike