Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rewired Extreme Trailer

Bobby Light

Just got done re-wiring the extreme trailer. The wiring harness had a short in it so I didn't have a right turn signal, everything else worked but kept blowing the trailer turn signal fuse in my truck. I called up extreme and told them what was up so they sent me out a complete new wiring harness for the trailer. It was terrible getting the old one out of the trailer, it was all twisted around the brake tubing and such. Putting in the new one was pretty easy, if I never have to do that again it will be to soon. However they did say the would pay me we'll see how that goes, I have to send them the old harness first.

Sweet! Wonder what the going rate for your labor is? I bet they give you $100 or so. Couple hrs of labor, I would think. Dontknow.gif

Just got done re-wiring the extreme trailer. The wiring harness had a short in it so I didn't have a right turn signal, everything else worked but kept blowing the trailer turn signal fuse in my truck. I called up extreme and told them what was up so they sent me out a complete new wiring harness for the trailer. It was terrible getting the old one out of the trailer, it was all twisted around the brake tubing and such. Putting in the new one was pretty easy, if I never have to do that again it will be to soon. However they did say the would pay me we'll see how that goes, I have to send them the old harness first.

If I remember that's what they said $100. If I had to do that for a living at $100 pop I wouldn't own a malibu that's for sure. It took me about 5 hours or so. I definetely made sure I did a better job than they did at the factory.

One other thing I discovered doing it was that they didn't bother wiring up the 3 lights on the part of the trailer under the boat just in front of the rudder, is everyone elses lights working under there?

One other thing I discovered doing it was that they didn't bother wiring up the 3 lights on the part of the trailer under the boat just in front of the rudder, is everyone elses lights working under there?

Yup, you should go back to these guys and make them fix it! It sounds to me like you are getting hosed here. Sorry.

Greg

I ran some additional wires for white back up lights and used a plumbers snake to fish it through.

It was a real PITA just to run a couple of single wires.

• 6 months later...

I am having the exact same problem on mine. I was hoping that the problem could be detected at the "easy to get to" front part of the trailer in the fold away tongue. I havn't looked into it yet at length, but I do remember that the wiring looked pretty shotty where visible. I was planning on just rewiring the front part with a 7 round plug instead of the 5 flat, splicing into the existing wires as far back as I can access. Hopefully that is where I will find my problem. I'm the second owner of the boat / trailer so don't know if it would be covered under warranty.

-Jared

I know exactly what you are talking about. I rewired my Extreme trailer as well not too long ago. However, when I did mine I used the old wires to "fish" new wires through the entire trailer. I marked everything w/ masking tape where they enter and exit the trailer so I (or the next guy to work on it) know what all the wires are for. Took me around 4 hours as well. And yes, you do need those lights under the trailer. I believe it is a law that any trailer over 85" Dontknow.gif must have center clearance lights.