Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is Dewinterization Really This Easy?

The people who wrapped my boat this winter said when im ready to get back on the water just reinstall the bilge plug, reconnect the battery, put it in, and start 'er up.... this seems too easy....sure they dont take any hoses off or anything like that?

It's almost 75 degrees and my boat is still in shrinkwrap (granted water temp is prob like 40 degrees and its a fluke that its this warm today)

Needless to say i wanna throw my boat in the water and go for a spin around the lake....

-Mark

Depending on what they did to winterize, it could be that easy. Check your hose connections and all drain plugs to make sure they are in. Check your trailer tires for proper inflation and hit the lake. It is also a good idea to let the boat run at the ramp while still on the trailer for a few minutes and check for leaks.

Ahem... :blush:

Check my recent thread. ROFL.gif

Always a good idea to run on the trailer, whilst still at the ramp for 20 mins or so and get up to operating temp, etc. checking for leaks and such. Then...BAM! Hit the water and have fun!

It does depend on what your guy did to the boat, but if they are the ones telling you it is OK, then I would take the aforementioned advise and get rolling! Thumbup.gif

That is pre-sactly how I plan on winterizing my boat this next time. I will drain everything and then put it back right then, so as to NOT forget a hose. :blush:

It is also a good idea to let the boat run at the ramp while still on the trailer for a few minutes and check for leaks.
That is pre-sactly how I plan on winterizing my boat this next time. I will drain everything and then put it back right then, so as to NOT forget a hose. :blush:
It is also a good idea to let the boat run at the ramp while still on the trailer for a few minutes and check for leaks.

That is the way I leave mine--ready to turn the key. But because you didn't winterized yourself, you should definitely look for any disconnected hoses/plugs. Also, I run mine in the driveway (using garden hose) for the first start-up each season to check for leaks or anything else that might be askew.

HAVE FUN!

Yep, just plug, gas, and go. That's how we leave ours anyways... although this year is going to be a bit more of a shake-down run. We had to have a prop, strut, and shaft replaced at the end of last season and never got the boat back on water... Bad ending to last season. :(

Find out if antifreeze was used in it when it was winterized. if it was, make sure that is out of the system before you get it in the water. Sometimes the environmental guys hang out waiting for you, and you'd get a nice hefty fine...

That is the way I leave mine--ready to turn the key. But because you didn't winterized yourself, you should definitely look for any disconnected hoses/plugs. Also, I run mine in the driveway (using garden hose) for the first start-up each season to check for leaks or anything else that might be askew.

HAVE FUN!

Ok, this might sound like a NewB question but.... Where do i connect a garden hose to on the boat if i want to fake lake it just to get her running and all tested out.... there is still a little ice towards land on the lake im on so they have not dropped their boat launch docks into the water yet.... i give it 2 or 3 more days of this 70 degree weather and we will be OK... but on my 5.7L 350 Mag EFI Tournament Ski Motor where do i connect a garden hose i can not figure it out!!!!??? Lame.gifNotworthy.gif:unsure:

Find out if antifreeze was used in it when it was winterized. if it was, make sure that is out of the system before you get it in the water. Sometimes the environmental guys hang out waiting for you, and you'd get a nice hefty fine...

It seems they used the Pink (biodegradable) RV/Marine Antifreeze which is meant to go into the lake, however im gonna fake lake it which should get it all out of there anyway.

HAVE FUN!

Ok, this might sound like a NewB question but.... Where do i connect a garden hose to on the boat if i want to fake lake it just to get her running and all tested out.... there is still a little ice towards land on the lake im on so they have not dropped their boat launch docks into the water yet.... i give it 2 or 3 more days of this 70 degree weather and we will be OK... but on my 5.7L 350 Mag EFI Tournament Ski Motor where do i connect a garden hose i can not figure it out!!!!??? Lame.gifNotworthy.gif:unsure:

You "fake a lake" with either a real fake-a-lake (looks like a plunger, and you can attach a hose to it - can actually be home made) or via the flush pro, which is an inline piece that lets you attach a hose directly to it.

It seems they used the Pink (biodegradable) RV/Marine Antifreeze which is meant to go into the lake, however im gonna fake lake it which should get it all out of there anyway.

watch out, even though the pink is environmentally friendly, many agencies still frown upon direct dumping into the water!

Edited by jgouveia3
Check my recent thread

Always a good idea to run on the trailer, whilst still at the ramp for 20 mins or so and get up to operating temp, etc. checking for leaks and such. Then...BAM! Hit the water and have fun!

Don't sit on the boat ramp for 20 mins. do yourself and everyone else a favor, get a fake lake and do it at home.

HAVE FUN!

You "fake a lake" with either a real fake-a-lake (looks like a plunger, and you can attach a hose to it - can actually be home made) or via the flush pro, which is an inline piece that lets you attach a hose directly to it.

watch out, even though the pink is environmentally friendly, many agencies still frown upon direct dumping into the water!

Yup. Fake a lake or flush pro. Other option is you can make your own fitting to install in the main intake line.

Ditto on the AF going into the lake. Not a good thing.