Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

v-drive leaking oil

vlx wakesetter

OK I drained my vdrive to change oil and now the oil drain plug on the left side is leaking. It is tight and the threads were clean when I reinstalled. So what would you use a permatex sealant or plumbers tape to fix the problem? I would have thought the threads might be tapered fitted but I guess not; it just sucks because now I will have to re-drain the vdrive and hopefully it will all catch in a trash bag without making a mess. By the way it's a very slow leak but just one of those things that I want fixed.

Don't know anything about the V drive, but did you possibly drop an O-ring when removing the plug. If not, I would go with teflon tape,at least 5 wraps and put on in the opposite direction you would turn the plug back in.

Edited by electricjohn

Sounds like a good place for a brass crush washer. Either it was inadvertently mis-located Innocent.gif ?

Don't know anything about the V drive, but did you possibly drop an O-ring when removing the plug. If not, I would go with teflon tape,at least 5 wraps and put on in the opposite direction you would turn the plug back in.

take out the plug quickly put you finger over the drain hole, have someone wrap teflon tape around the plug, take finger off, re-install plug and add one table spoon of oil that you lost.

All the more reason to use a fluid extractor. If you are a DIY'er I know you probably don't want to spend $60 or $70 bucks to suck out the oil and trans fluid, but this thing is the Bomb. Just did all mine this weekend and not a drop spilled.

Fluid Extractor

Well it doesn't appear to be coming from the drain plug maybe the surround that bolts the output of the vdrive to the prop. I know a pic would help but there's approx. 8 bolts that connect this part of the vdrive but I would have to pull it off to further look into it. I really don't want to do this again since I just pulled the tranny due to a leak which I fixed with permatex.