Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cracked water pump housing (Merc Plastic) Need to replace it

So I changed my water impeller last weekend for the first time after logging 90hrs last summer.

I thought all went well until I stared it up in the drive today I noticed no water coming out of the exhaust and started looking around.

I found a crack in the water pump housing. I must have tightened it a little much. Mad.gif

So my question is do I go and fork out the $285 for the Jabsco brass one or replace it with another plastic one?

Thanks,

Shawn

Had a similar thing happen to me replace it with the stock plastic one and do not over tighten the bolts, also keep in mind it was 14 year old plastic part.

Had a similar thing happen to me replace it with the stock plastic one and do not over tighten the bolts, also keep in mind it was 14 year old plastic part.

i agree. you can just buy the plastic, not overtighten it and spend the other 200 or so odd $ on something more usefull. Biggrin.gifThumbup.gif

My housing had a hairline crack 3 years ago (I'm not sure what caused it, it was a newer housing). I used an adhesive sealant to seal it and it's been good so far.

Of course, I keep my boat on the lake and hardly ever travel with it, so it's no big deal if the housing fails.

Thanks guys,

Plastic it is going to be I think.

Ski Dim has a cost effective replacement plastic housing kit (w/ impeller) that works great. The original plastic does become brittle with age.

So I changed my water impeller last weekend for the first time after logging 90hrs last summer.

I thought all went well until I stared it up in the drive today I noticed no water coming out of the exhaust and started looking around.

I found a crack in the water pump housing. I must have tightened it a little much. Mad.gif

So my question is do I go and fork out the $285 for the Jabsco brass one or replace it with another plastic one?

Thanks,

Shawn

Yeah the plastic will break pretty easy. You just have to tighten it down enough for the o-ring to seal. I replace my impeller every year whether it needs it or not (cheap insurance). On the plastic housings you need to inspect them for blisters on the inside, when it starts to show signs replace the housing to. I bought the kit over the weekend from a Merc dealer and it was only $90.00. Kit includes impeller, housing, o-rings, SS backing plate and bolts.

Is there a torque spec I should be looking for when doing the install?

Thanks again

Not that I'm aware of.

The plastic housing is a retrofit or upgrade from the original housing that was 3 piece unit.

Use a crossing patern when you tighten them and just tighten them up ( I was going to say wrist tight) but everyone is different. I would think about 10ft lbs should be enough. If I remember right the 2 or 3 through bolts have jam nuts on them so they wont back off.