Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need advice.

Willy

Well my new VTX came in and it has the wrong color dash. I really wanted the all black and it came in black with the grey around the guages. No offense to anyone who has this color combination but I am not all that wild about it.. I havn't taken delivery yet. What would you do, anybody??

ALL RESOLVED!!!!!! THANK YOU Everbody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Willy

I'm sure your dealership can swap out the dash pretty easily. Don't take delivery of the boat until you are %100 satisfied. You put down the $$ for the boat you ordered, if they screwed up that order you either need to be compensated or have the dash replaced. Which ever is more appealing to you.

Edited by DRAGON88
I'm sure your dealership can swap out the dash pretty easily. Don't take delivery of the boat until you are %100 satisfied. You put down the $$ for the boat you ordered, if they screwed up that order you either need to be compensated or have the dash replaced. Which ever is more appealing to you.

i agree 100%. get it right before you take delivery. Biggrin.gif

Plus1.gif

Playing the other side of the coin -

- I don't believe you can easily "swap out" a dash surround in a VTX.

- Was there a color scheme signed off on with the order?

- Was it a misunderstanding between customer and dealer, was it assumed, did the dealer order it wrong, or did Malibu build it wrong?

Lots of variables there before we all make statements.

Peter

How long do you ointend on keeping the boat? Do you feel strongly enough to have them build you another boat and wait for that one? I personally would not be that upset about a mistake like that and I think I would just live with it and make sure they get it right on the next one I ordered and maybe get the dealer to throw in some extra warranty or something like that.. (at least I would give it a try) Some pictures would help though.. I can't picture the gauge surround being black... Dontknow.gif

How long do you ointend on keeping the boat? Do you feel strongly enough to have them build you another boat and wait for that one? I personally would not be that upset about a mistake like that and I think I would just live with it and make sure they get it right on the next one I ordered and maybe get the dealer to throw in some extra warranty or something like that.. (at least I would give it a try) Some pictures would help though.. I can't picture the gauge surround being black... Dontknow.gif

that is a good point. if you do not plan on keeping it long you could just get it like it is and maybe get something like some titan board racks or revolution racks or something that is not cheap to make you happy about the dash. talk to your dealer and see what they will give you. Biggrin.gif

I had issues with my first bu. I didn't have to make a big fuss. Just let them know of my concerns and the dealer tried to make it right. Might be better to wait and see what they want to do for you before you make any demands. You are going to need that relationship so don't burn the bridge over the wrong colored dash.

I thought the dash was always two tone???? Can't imagine it looking that bad to break off a deal. I am with Peter, see who's at fault. Good Luck!

Yabetcha's dash - black on black is a scheme that you can get.

My .02 - give your dealer & Malibu a chance to make this right for you, see what they say about it before making a decision on taking delivery. I know that it is possible for a dealer to change a dash out (I've known one that has been in this very situation & had to change a dash because it was wrong), although I don't know how easy it is. Anyway, if that's what you ordered, give them a chance to make it right. But....the way that you worded your post leads me to believe that maybe you thought you were getting something without specifying or communicating it, maybe assuming that the boat came with that (which is easy to do). Is that the case? If so, you may be out of luck.

Playing the other side of the coin -

- I don't believe you can easily "swap out" a dash surround in a VTX.

- Was there a color scheme signed off on with the order?

- Was it a misunderstanding between customer and dealer, was it assumed, did the dealer order it wrong, or did Malibu build it wrong?

Lots of variables there before we all make statements.

Peter

Peter, not that I'm questioning you, because you would know far better than I would but:

Dash swap difficult? Remove the windsheild, remove the gauge pod and switches, remove dash surround, reinstall everything. I've honestly never had to remove the dash off my VLX, so I really have no idea, but it doesn't seem that it would be all that bad nor would it be an unreasonable request if they did in fact install the wrong dash.

Either way it doesn't seem like the customer should be the one paying for Malibu's mistake. (Assuming that Malibu is responsible for this mix up.)

Dragon, I was the same way about changing a dash until I actually did it. On paper it sounds extrememly easy but doing it not so easy. One major part that you left out and was a problem with my boat was pulling the steering wheel and system out. Even with a steering wheel puller it did not want to budge. Also I do not know how the windshield attaches to the boat on the VTX so that may be different.

Like stated above just find out whether it was a dealer error, malibu error, or just simple confusion on why it happened and let malibu or the dealer make it right. For one thing if you did not specify that you wanted a black/black dash stroud the default is graphite/light graphite.

Ok, Sorry to get everybody "rhiled" up but I was just looking for some opinions on the "right way" to handle it. I should have given a little more background. This will be the third boat I have bought from this dealer.(the first one I have ordered). They are cutting me a "semi promo deal" ( I don't want to disclose to much but it is beyond the average 10%) I will need to have the boat available for a few Dealer events this year since I order the VTX with the Diamond cut hull. They are really good people to deal with so I don't want to put my relationship in jeopardy with them. I saw the dash right as they were closing so we did not have an opportunity to discuss it till this morning. I asked them if they remembered what color dash I ordered and they said black on black. and then you could tell the concern in the voice when they asked why I was asking and I told them that it was Black and grey. They said a few choice words and said don't worry about it we will just order a VTX for stock and with black on black and swap it out.

So again I appoligize for an early post on the subject but I just wanted to be prepared for the conversation when I had it.

Thank You everybody!!!

Ok, Sorry to get everybody "rhiled" up but I was just looking for some opinions on the "right way" to handle it. I should have given a little more background. This will be the third boat I have bought from this dealer.(the first one I have ordered). They are cutting me a "semi promo deal" ( I don't want to disclose to much but it is beyond the average 10%) I will need to have the boat available for a few Dealer events this year since I order the VTX with the Diamond cut hull. They are really good people to deal with so I don't want to put my relationship in jeopardy with them. I saw the dash right as they were closing so we did not have an opportunity to discuss it till this morning. I asked them if they remembered what color dash I ordered and they said black on black. and then you could tell the concern in the voice when they asked why I was asking and I told them that it was Black and grey. They said a few choice words and said don't worry about it we will just order a VTX for stock and with black on black and swap it out.

So again I appoligize for an early post on the subject but I just wanted to be prepared for the conversation when I had it.

Thank You everybody!!!

Well there ya' go then, no worries right? It sounds like you've got a good relationship with your dealer, so I have no doubt that they'll make it right for you. And no need to apologize, we're like one big dysfunctional family here - if we don't have something to argue about then we're just not in our comfort zone. :lol:

Thank You everybody!!!

Well there ya' go then, no worries right? It sounds like you've got a good relationship with your dealer, so I have no doubt that they'll make it right for you. And no need to apologize, we're like one big dysfunctional family here - if we don't have something to argue about then we're just not in our comfort zone. :lol:

Just the off season blues. :)

If they order another, will it be the same colors???? We don't want another just like yours floating around, now do we!!!!

If they order another, will it be the same colors???? We don't want another just like yours floating around, now do we!!!!

I'm thinkin he means they are going to swap the dash not the whole boat. Whistling.gif

I'm thinkin he means they are going to swap the dash not the whole boat. Whistling.gif

Right, but I think that Malibuman means that hopefully the dealer doesn't order another VTX that looks exactly like the OP's in color scheme.

My dealer just finished replacing the dash in my 06 VLX. Malibue insltalled my speakers for me at the factory and they put a cut in the vinyl around the speaker so I waited for the off-season and the dealer switched it out. They did a great job on it (looks great), I'm sure that it was a pain to do though. ANy good dealer will take care of you, I know mine does!

My boat came with the wrong color dash. it was Tan and should have been Black. Mad.gif

They fixed it with in a week Biggrin.gifBUT every time I've had to order a replacement item like a replacement engine cover(wrong carpet color underside) or side graphics that came with the tan color scheme they always had the wrong color, so I was wondering WTH is going on!

So my dealer finally figured out that MALIBU needed to change my build sheet in their computer so I get the correct colors in the future.

Right, but I think that Malibuman means that hopefully the dealer doesn't order another VTX that looks exactly like the OP's in color scheme.

ya i think that is what he meant also. i would feel the same way..i would not want another Bu just like mine. Rockon.gif