Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Epic Boats

OLDGUY

I've seen them up close and personal. They are huge boats with itty bitty interiors depth wise (all that ballast below the floor)

Fit and finish not so good, and the speaker thing in the transom while it's agood idea, not well executed

Anybody seen one of these boats in person? What do think about the dual rudders and 4100lb factory ballast.

i have not seen one, but once they have a couple of years to get the bugs worked out they might be nice boats. Biggrin.gif

i rode in one late last year here in austin. we tried to weight it on one side for surfing, and probably had too many people on board as well and it seems the volvo engine took on some water and we had to be towed back to shore. i felt bad for the owner as it wasn't a great showing and lots of people were interested in seeing how it surfed... not really well in the end... although the wakeboarding wake looked to be HUGE although i didn't see anybody ride. i wish epic luck, but agree with mikeD - they probably have a few years to work out some of the bugs...

i rode in one late last year here in austin. we tried to weight it on one side for surfing, and probably had too many people on board as well and it seems the volvo engine took on some water and we had to be towed back to shore. i felt bad for the owner as it wasn't a great showing and lots of people were interested in seeing how it surfed... not really well in the end... although the wakeboarding wake looked to be HUGE although i didn't see anybody ride. i wish epic luck, but agree with mikeD - they probably have a few years to work out some of the bugs...

and one of those problems would be the volvo engine. i have 2 volvos in my 28ft crusing boat and they suck. not a good engine for a wakeboard boat. Biggrin.gif

and one of those problems would be the volvo engine. i have 2 volvos in my 28ft crusing boat and they suck. not a good engine for a wakeboard boat. Biggrin.gif

Interesting, when I was looking a new run about, all I looked at were Volvo equipped boats because IMHO they were light years ahead of Mercruiser. Funny, they all start with the same generic GM block, but go in different directions from there.

I have never seen, but a friend who skied behind it said that he wouldn't own one even if it was given to him...

I have never seen, but a friend who skied behind it said that he wouldn't own one even if it was given to him...

did he ski it or board it?

Yah, that boat is a skier's nightmare its built solely to put out the largest stock wake possbile. I agree that they have some issues to work out, but I wish them all the best. I have seen one in person. I did not get a chance to really crawl around in it, but the hull seemed extremely strong. My rationale for this is the typical flex you see when pushing on a hull. Typically you can take any other ski/wake boat and push right in the middle of the hull underneath the driver (or pass) and watch the fiberglass flex. I rocked the junk out of the epic and it felt super solid, like a tank comparitively.

Note: I dont know how much more they plan on working with Volvo as their newest development does not require gas, or so a little industry birdie told me! I have also confirmed this with other sources as well, they could very well revolutionize the market, based purely on power plant options.

Malibu revolutionizes the industry. If you're talking about diesel, there's a lot of things to get worked out before that'll work. Anything else isn't practical.