Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing the Law

WaveMake'nLSV

I was pontificating in the showa a few mins ago and it occurred to me, that in AR at least...no one is allowed to sit on the sunpad whilst the boat is underway. Is the attitude different from MISTER LAW in the event that your surfing? The answer is likely..."state to state, it depends"...but thought I would throw my question into the ring of knowledge and see what spins out. Tease.gifTongue.gifTease.gif

In Cali. everyone's arse has gotta be in a seat while the boat is moving.

Now in TX, they go hog wild and hang off the side of the boat and whatever else you can think of.

Now in TX, they go hog wild and hang off the side of the boat and whatever else you can think of.

Thank God for Texas!

Who would ever hang off the side of the boat? Beer.gif

Thank God for Texas!

Surfing.gifSurfing.gifSurfing.gif TEXAS Surfing.gifSurfing.gifSurfing.gif

Sometimes we will sit on the trunk (with feet inside the boat) while surfing. But thats is only if there are no cops around. Mad.gif When boarding, skiing, or cruising we all sit down inside the boat.

The GodFather showing Pistol Pete how it is done TEXAS style.

I was pontificating in the showa a few mins ago and it occurred to me, that in AR at least...no one is allowed to sit on the sunpad whilst the boat is underway. Is the attitude different from MISTER LAW in the event that your surfing? The answer is likely..."state to state, it depends"...but thought I would throw my question into the ring of knowledge and see what spins out. Tease.gifTongue.gifTease.gif

At Heber Springs we have not been questioned by a Ranger for surfing but typically if we see one everyone is in a seat. We were stopped by one guy when we were severly overloaded but explained what was going on, prop under the boat etc and he thought it was pretty cool actually. I also carry a set of rules that that I found online last year that says wakesurfing is different than teak surfing and is allowed behind inboard boats and that never hurts. Best thing is to be smart and polite if ever stopped.

At Heber Springs we have not been questioned by a Ranger for surfing but typically if we see one everyone is in a seat. We were stopped by one guy when we were severly overloaded but explained what was going on, prop under the boat etc and he thought it was pretty cool actually. I also carry a set of rules that that I found online last year that says wakesurfing is different than teak surfing and is allowed behind inboard boats and that never hurts. Best thing is to be smart and polite if ever stopped.

Do you still have a link or can you post the info?

The GodFather showing Pistol Pete how it is done TEXAS style.
They don't allow suntans in TX? Whistling.gif

Tanning is for girls Tongue.gif

LMAO... Tease2.gif to NorCaliBu

Edited by RiverRunner

DGoose here it is courtesy of krakdaddie (SP?)

http://www.nasbla.org/pdf/Model%20Acts/new...rts%2092105.pdf

Boat-Towed Watersports – Approved Sept. 21, 2005

Boat-Towed Watersports 92105 1

NASBLA MODEL ACT FOR SAFE PRACTICES FOR BOATTOWED

WATERSPORTS

This act originally was adopted by the membership of the National Association of State

Boating Law Administrators on Oct. 29, 2003. However, an original provision

prohibiting the use of a tow rope of 20 feet or less would have precluded the popular

sport of wake surfing. In response, during 2004, the NASBLA Committees on Law

Enforcement and Boats and Associated Equipment revised the language and narrowed

the act to apply to teak surfing (platform dragging) and body surfing – water sports that

pose potential dangers to the participant both because of proximity to the boat’s

propeller and because of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. The amended act

was approved by the NASBLA membership on Sept. 15, 2004.

However, in 2005, those committees reviewed, approved and recommended to the

NASBLA membership this revised version as part of the Association’s Model Act Review

and Standardization Project. The act was approved in revised form by the membership on

Sept. 21, 2005.

Section 1. [short Title.] This act may be cited as the Safe 1 Practices for Boat-Towed

2 Watersports Act.

1 Section 2. [Applicability.] The provisions of this act apply on all waters within the

2 jurisdiction of this state.

1 Section 3. [Definitions.] As used in this act:

2 (1) "Body surfing" means swimming or floating on one's stomach or on one's back on

3 or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway.

4 (2). "Motorboat" means a recreational vessel propelled in whole or in part by

5 machinery, including a vessel temporarily equipped with a detachable engine.

6 (3) “Operate” means to navigate or otherwise control the movement of a vessel,

7 including control of the vessel’s propulsion system.

8 (4) "Teak surfing" or "platform dragging" means holding onto the swim platform, swim

9 deck, swim step, swim ladder, or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a

10 motorboat for any amount of time while the motorboat is underway at any speed.

11 (5) “Underway” means the motorboat is on the water and not moored, anchored,

12 docked or aground.

13 (6) “Watersports” means activities that involve being towed by, or riding in the wake

14 of, a vessel such as, but not limited to, water skiing, wake boarding, wake surfing, and

15 tubing.

1 Section 4. [Requirements.]

2 (a) No person shall operate a motorboat or have the engine of a motorboat run idle

3 while a person is teak surfing, platform dragging, or body surfing behind the motorboat.

Boat-Towed Watersports – Approved Sept. 21, 2005

Boat-Towed Watersports 92105 2

(B) No person shall operate a motorboat or have the engine 4 of a motorboat run idle

5 while a person is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or

6 swim ladder of the motorboat.

1 Section 5. [Exemptions.] The provisions of this act do not apply when a person is

2 occupying the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder while assisting with

3 the docking or departure of the motorboat, while exiting or entering the motorboat, or

4 while the motorboat is engaged in law enforcement activity.

1 Section 6. [Penalty for Violation.] A violation of this act constitutes a [insert offense

2 and penalty(ies)].

1 Section 7. [Effective Date.] [insert effective date.]