Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Optima Batteries Buyer's Remorse

ffdawg

Yep I agree 100%, but the recharging is being done with the car Alt. Do you work in the battery world? From what we are guessing the battery's are being drained to the 10.8 once a day and after 3 months they start to take a dump. One of the things are looking at doing is every time the car comes in for service (every 40 days or so) we would take the extra trunk battery out and install a freshly charged one. We would have 5 battery's sitting nn a maintaining station waiting to be used.

Cop cars have always had problems with batterys because of all the junk and crap they want running all the time.

disclaimer. Alt are maintainers not chargers.

The battery should charge to whatever the voltage regulator is set to...13 to 14 volts. If it is not charging to that point then there is a voltage drop across something else in the circuit. If you are using an ACR to decide when to charge, that device might be the problem. Maybe your setup would be better served using an old school relay wich does not have a voltage drop across the diode junction.

I don't work in the battery world, I am an EV racer so I know about batteries, DC motors and controllers (My real job I am a EE at WPAFB)

Voltage drop is only .5 (normal) and they are working just fine. Some thing I didn't say up front is the radio equipment has a 2 hr timer after the car is shut off. This way a cop can shut off the car, fill out reports, head into the office or take care of things away from the car with out having to re log in every time they get back into the car. I think the equipment draw with out emergency lights on is some thing like 28 amps.

edit: At my work I'm the #1JAEMII. Are you saying your an Electrical Engineer at West point Air Force Base? :unsure:

Edited by D-GOOSE
Voltage drop is only .5 (normal) and they are working just fine. Some thing I didn't say up front is the radio equipment has a 2 hr timer after the car is shut off. This way a cop can shut off the car, fill out reports, head into the office or take care of things away from the car with out having to re log in every time they get back into the car. I think the equipment draw with out emergency lights on is some thing like 28 amps.

edit: At my work I'm the #1JAEMII. Are you saying your an Electrical Engineer at West point Air Force Base? :unsure:

Wright-Patterson

Wright-Patterson

I had some 24v i think battery setups from F-16C s that were rewired to 12v for the hot rod. but they took up space and weren't worth the trouble, charging etc.

Wright-Patterson

I had some 24v i think battery setups from F-16C s that were rewired to 12v for the hot rod. but they took up space and weren't worth the trouble, charging etc.

Was that an electric Hot Rod?

Wright-Patterson

Was that an electric Hot Rod?

No I had a trunk mounted battery set up in my 70 chevelle and I would switch off my alternator for less engine drag on 1/4 mile runs.

I had an electric fan NOS solenoids a bunch of electronic ignition stuff so a guy in the Electrics back shop at my base hooked me up with his custom battery. I had a lot of spare time in those days.