Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternative to new Boat Trailer?

lib135

The dealer wants almost 6k for a new boat trailer for a 2007 LSV 23, this just seems so outrageous to me, not to mention its not even galvanized, if I were to ever use it in saltwater, which i don't plan to do. Are there any suggested alternatives to ordering a new trailer from the dealer? Thanks

what kind of trailer is it. i got a new 07 trailer for 4k. it is aluminum. it works perfect

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder

Unfortunately there aren't any good alternatives. The problem is that when you order your boat (or buy one from the dealer), the trailer that it sits on is built & fit specifically for your boat. Loading & unloading at the ramp is when you'll appreciate having a trailer that fits your boat well - I've been around a few that are off a bit & it's a problem that in most cases there isn't an easy remedy for. It can be a tough pill to swallow, but there you have it. Sometimes you can get a deal on a used trailer, or one that was mis-ordered, but the thing that you have to ask yourself is if you really want to cut a corner like that when you're spending $60K+ on the boat? It may just be me, but I wouldn't.

EDIT: LSV & VLX will take different trailers, subsequently cost will be different. Not to mention that different regions use different manufacturers, so that's hardly an apples to apples comparison.

Edited by WakeGirl

Curious - did you buy your boat without a trailer?

If you did and now you're back to buy the trailer, I'd hope you could use the good faith in the fact that you just bought a boat to negotiate a good deal on the trailer.

If you're buying a boat, trailer, equipment from his pro shop, etc.:

The price of anything is negotiable. If the dealer is telling you that a particular piece of equipment costs X as part of the entire package, it just means he's looking to get a percentage of profit out the the entire deal.

If you're worried about the price of the entire package, then I'd worry about the whole price, not about a particular piece of equipment. This is how the dealer looks at it, you should too. Buying a boat gives you the leverage to negotiate. Looking to buy a boat at the beginning of the boating season gives him the power to not negotiate.

If you don't like the package price, go look at the competition and take that info to your dealer in hopes of negotiating a better deal. Ultimately, 'Vote with your wallet.

Yes I ordered with a trailer, negotiated a price, and now I am removing things I don't want. Thanks

Sounds like what I did as well.

Well, actually it was me having to stick to a price set by the CFO - so things had to go. In the end though, you'll be happy.

Good luck.

These trailer, like the boats that sit on them, are rising in price. Not only has the steel they use to make them gone up up dramatically over the last couple years (the price of stainless steel has almost doubled in a year), they are adding features and improving them, thus driving the cost up. I saw an '07 Boatmate under a new boat recently and you'd hardly recognize it as being the same manufacturer as my '02 Boatmate.

Have you priced a "generic" trailer you could sit your boat on? If so, what kind of price difference are we talking about?

When we got to the trailer ordering part, I think there were almost as many options as there were for the boat itself. Smooth welds, cage rollers, wider fenders, 14" or 15" alloy wheels, LED lights, spare tire mount, laser cut backlit "Malibu" logo, swing tongue...................

Just deleting a few things I really didn't need (like the ground smooth welds) knocked about $500 off the trailer while still having some great options like the cage rollers and LED lights.

Hey lib, you have a few things to consider -

First - Price of steel has gone through the roof in the last 3 years. Off hand I would say that it has almost tripled in raw cost.

Second - I don't know of any fitted trailer for a 23 LSV available for $3500. Generic as you mention is somewhat of a tough concept. Generic as in adjustable bunk trailer like a Load Rite or Shorelander? A Tandem Axle (required) trailer with single adjustable bunks and 5400 lb capacity is $4026 (sale price), plus $35 for a tongue jack, and $50 delivery from the distributor. If you want brakes on both axles you'll need to add $300. (Required by law in NY state) So for a generic trailer that has no prop cage, so in reality it won't work on a 23 LSV anyhow...cost is $4411 from a sheet dated 9/8/2006.

A trailer made for your boat with disc brakes for excellent stopping power, guide poles, prop cage, swing tongue, matching paint and pinstripes.....to me no other trailer compares, especially in future resale value. I wouldn't take a tournament boat on trade on a I/O (generic) trailer. Without a trailer? Sure, but trade value will be less the cost of a new trailer to put under it.

...Just my viewpoint, ya know?

Peter :)

It's funny to see this topic right now, because I have been looking to find a decent used trailer, and have been shopping around a bit. Here is what I have found. Basic, Brand New 4100lb Galvanized tandem axle trailer, surge brakes, lighting some other basic items, like jack stand with castor etc., (I don't have the whole list) $2,275.00 Remember, this is not custom fit to the boat, but good enough to get you into the water and out for storage at the end of the year, which is what I was looking for.

Secondly I was quoted $3,250.00 for an Eagle trailer.. Don't know much about them, but it's what was suggested by location selling the boat.

The trailer was quoted for a 2001 Sunsetter LXi. Anyone with a used trailer that would like to get rid of it, please let me know.

Edited by IceMelted
A trailer made for your boat with disc brakes for excellent stopping power, guide poles, prop cage, swing tongue, matching paint and pinstripes.....to me no other trailer compares, especially in future resale value. I wouldn't take a tournament boat on trade on a I/O (generic) trailer.

That is definitely something to consider. Buying a Bayliner...fine, the trailer doesn't matter. But a high end comp ski boat, the other sellers you'll be competing against WILL have a custom matched trailer with them. And your Malibu sitting on a inferior trailer will pale in comparison to all but those folks who live on a lake and don't care at all about the quality of the trailer (VERY few and far between)

First - Price of steel has gone through the roof in the last 3 years. Off hand I would say that it has almost tripled in raw cost.

Second - I don't know of any fitted trailer for a 23 LSV available for $3500. Generic as you mention is somewhat of a tough concept. Generic as in adjustable bunk trailer like a Load Rite or Shorelander? A Tandem Axle (required) trailer with single adjustable bunks and 5400 lb capacity is $4026 (sale price), plus $35 for a tongue jack, and $50 delivery from the distributor. If you want brakes on both axles you'll need to add $300. (Required by law in NY state) So for a generic trailer that has no prop cage, so in reality it won't work on a 23 LSV anyhow...cost is $4411 from a sheet dated 9/8/2006.

A trailer made for your boat with disc brakes for excellent stopping power, guide poles, prop cage, swing tongue, matching paint and pinstripes.....to me no other trailer compares, especially in future resale value. I wouldn't take a tournament boat on trade on a I/O (generic) trailer. Without a trailer? Sure, but trade value will be less the cost of a new trailer to put under it.

Brakes are going to be required in many states, & it won't matter how little you tow with it if you plan to tow at all. Which is one more thing to consider....how much you plan to use the trailer for towing. I can understand going with a cheaper alternative if you live 10 minutes from the ramp, or put your boat at a marina for the season. But if you're like us & put thousands of miles on your trailer every year (& no, I'm not exaggerating at all with the word "thousands") then you want a good quality product that fits well. So from my point of view it's not worth cutting that corner. But as always, YMMV.

UWS stopped carrying Extreme trailers this year due to Extreme supposedly nearly doubling the dealer cost from the previous year....maybe your dealer is experiencing the same pricing??

UWS stopped carrying Extreme trailers this year due to Extreme supposedly nearly doubling the dealer cost from the previous year....maybe your dealer is experiencing the same pricing??

What's an Extreme for a V-Ride going for these days? What brand are they going with now? Most dealers can get a few different brands, so that may be worth asking about.

I am looking over papers from my shopping Dec of 06. I bought 07 Rlxi. My dealer didn,t brake it down on final papers. I do have a quote from another dealer single axle Boatmate tube trailer w/brakes and swing tongue. $3,600. That of course is part of the package deal. I am getting a Eagle trailer very common around Michigan.

I almost wish I had saved the money and just got a generic trailer - you know the ones that have adjustable bolt on bunks and rollers.

Mainly because the boat sits on a lift 10 months or more out of the year and is only trailered on special occassions.

And the trailer sits in the marina bone yard the rest of the time.

My boat has 400 hours and the trailer not even 1000 miles.

But even with my very limited use I enjoy the custom fit and ease of loading at the ramp.

That said I don't like the way my trailer rides so dang low for driving - wish it were just a few inches higher - but the low look looks kewl while just sitting on the lot.

Brakes are going to be required in many states, & it won't matter how little you tow with it if you plan to tow at all. Which is one more thing to consider....how much you plan to use the trailer for towing. I can understand going with a cheaper alternative if you live 10 minutes from the ramp, or put your boat at a marina for the season. But if you're like us & put thousands of miles on your trailer every year (& no, I'm not exaggerating at all with the word "thousands") then you want a good quality product that fits well. So from my point of view it's not worth cutting that corner. But as always, YMMV.

And lets not forget, the majority of accidents are less than three miles from home. :)

What's an Extreme for a V-Ride going for these days? What brand are they going with now?

The MSRP of the V-Ride includes the trailer. My trailer was a tandem axle Extreme with a swing tongue. I don't recall if the trailer cost was even listed on the paperwork.

UWS sells 2007 Malibus on Boatmate trailers.

i am kinda in same situation. boat on lift all summer. and maybe 150 miles a year tops on trailer. i ended up with last new leftover 2006 so took the trailer as had no choice. if i were to order(and i came close) i would have called karavan trailers as they are in by back yard and bought a galvanized bunk custom made or adjustable.

I heard that one reason for the hike in the trailer price is the "luxury tax", at least here in CA. This is I believe 1 or 1.5% of the purchase price of the boat , not the trailer. This fee is due annually. So, basically they hike the price of the trailer within reason and lower the price of the boat to help out with this issue.

Edited by tmacwake

several trailer makers now make a more generic trailer that can be customized/adapted for inboard boat use. I bought a nice aluminum from Magic tilt that will hold up nice in my brackish water environment. I am like others on this site, where my boat is not on the trailer during the season. The rest of the time its in a storage shed, so no bling necessary for me.