Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ski/binding upgrade, but to what ?

uk_exile

I current ski on a 2002 Connelly Hook as shown in

http://ridecwb.com/connelly07/skier_support/02perf.jpg

It's got the lace adjustable as seen in bottom right of this

http://ridecwb.com/connelly07/skier_support/02pair.jpg

Over the last year I've learnt to slalom on it and can now consistently run the course, including gates at 40kph & sometimes run it at 43kph on 18.25m line.

But I know the binding is letting me down as it sometimes folds open while skiing. I twisted my ankle a few days ago so decided it's time to upgrade.

A short line skier at lake suggested the ski itself is still ok for my level but binding has to go. The ski doesn't have inserts but he thought it would be ok to drill & tap into the ski to attach a plate type binding. He thought it would have aluminium plates under the surface I'd be able to screw into. I've contacted Connelly via their website contact but they've not replied if it's ok. The ski was also sold with plate binding so they must have had inserts ?

However I've checkd prices for bindings & it looks better to sell the Hook as is and get a whole new setup. But what ? Budget conscious do I go for an older triumph ?

http://www.wileyski.com/waterskis/skis-1138.htm

or get something with more potential like an older system 8

http://www.wileyski.com/waterskis/skis-1365.htm

Or do I go all out and get a latest Sixam, System 8 or similar ? Would going to too high end ski actually slow my learning progress ? I want stay ahead of my 13yr old son ! He's recently upgraded to a 2007 HO Revolt & loves it. Revolt is from identical mold as System 8 & Monza so perhaps I too should be able to handle jump to top end ?

I'm 5'7" and 150-155lbs.

We ski exclusively in the dyked off local tournament site, no open lake stuff. Conditions aren't always perfect though as it gets the wind somtimes. http://www.lakehood.co.nz/the_lake.html

There are a lot of pics of the site at http://www.skishotz.co.nz/aquafest/index.htm

Even shots of me skiing at the Malibu New Zealand sponsored Aquafest tournament http://www.skishotz.co.nz/aquafest/pages/EDSC01360.htm

Also lots there of my orange/grey Response LX. It was a Malibu sponsored event & we were pickup boat for the two days :-)

Any comments regarding ski / binding options (or my superb Malibu !!!!) greatly appreciated

edit 23rd March. Connelly have replied. The ski has resin capsules where current bindings screws are. Has no metal in it. They said can get adaptor plates so can could use existing holes. Doesn't sound good to me so decided, whole new setup required Thumbup.gif

Edited by uk_exile

If you have any opportunity to demo...do it. Last spring I purchased a System8 based on a lot of recommendations that it was the right ski for my level. I purchased it without demo'ing. I would eventually regret that decision but got lucky and scored a Monza shortly thereafter. The Monza is way more ski than I need but I like a very stiff ski and the Monza is that. It's all personal preference. Demo, demo, demo,.... Thumbup.gif

What NorCaliBu said. Demo, Demo, Demo if at all possible. There are 2 schools of thought on the shaped skis vs as much perf as you want to buy. What is your goal for skiing in the next 2 years?

Also, based on the fact that your speeds appear to be 25 & 27 MPH, many would recommend one of the shaped performance skis. Since you're already on a perf ski, you may not like the way the shaped perf skis behave, so once again - demo. The perf shaped skis will work well from your current speed through 34 MPH (54 KPH) and into short line. The top of line skis don't really start performing until 34 MPH (54KPH) or so. There is a review of the shaped performance skis at Rec Waterski Tests & in the new issue of Waterski. It's a little light on details, but will give you some feedback on many of the skis. You can also go a little shorter with these skis & at your weight, you should already be on a pretty short ski - 65 or 66".

I really wish demos were an option however only one store within 2hrs drive has any sort of demo program and even then they are Obrien only and have very limited range. I very much doubt they would even have a demo performance ski for my weight. Most NZ slalom import their skis due to lack of decent stores in NZ & also save $$$$.

I questioned one other store who used to demo & they said canned it due to damage and the fact once people are in a course they develop their own likes and dislikes and it's not possible to truly demo a ski with just a couple of runs. Said you need it for a few days to realise if you actually like it or if it feesl wrong just because it's different than you're used to.

Club members can't help much either since they're all much heavier than me. I am think of trying my sons Revolt as it may hint at if I'd like a System 8. It's 63.5" so is too small but perhaps worth a try.

The better club member all seem to ski the Sixams. Due to limited demos etc I think that's just copy cat behaviuor 'they do good so it'll suit me too'

My aim in next 2 season is to get up to 55kph and 16m. More would be nice but I need to be realistic as my 40th is coming up next year & due to family, house renovations & maintenance, adventure mountain biking racing & the lake being 1hrs drive away we only tend to get out once per week from Oct - April & once per month May - Sept.

I'm going to state the obvious & hopefully re-inforce what you are thinking. I'm a little surprised none of the other swervy stickers have chimed in yet.

There is no harm in trying your son's Revolt. It will definately be short for you & probably soft too, but should give you a bit of the feeling of the S8. If someone in your club has a shorter Sixam (67", maybe 68"), it would also give you a comparison point. The Sixam is a good ski. I believe it's the current world record holder. The store owner was right in that it can take a little while to get used to a new ski - I know that it did for me when I bought a new ski 2 years ago.

Based on where you are and what you want to do, you should try to get one of the more predictable skis. If you don't want to buy a new ski in 2 to 3 years based on your goals, then go for the perf ski now. Otherwise, I'd consider one of the high perf rec skis (Radar Senate, Obrien Synchro/Evidence)

Based on the recent waterski tests & other's rantings/comments, the more predictable & less expensive comp skis are the Sixam, Jobe MPD & System 8. I would not recommend a Goode based on price and others complaints about breakage/delamination & support in those cases - particularly with you in NZ. The Monza & F1 were at the bottom of the rankings for predictability. The Fisher is BIG $$$.

The blank previous year skis from Wiley's in your size range appear to be 65" Triumph - $300, 65" S8 - $350, 66" Sixam $550. The S8 hasn't changed since the '05 other than graphics. The Sixam 2 point may fit the bill pretty well if you don't mind dropping the extra $$. Because of your light weight, the primarily complaing of the S8 being too soft shouldn't be an issue.

If you can work the schedule out, give Darren @ Wiley's a call & see what he recommends for you.

FYI - I'm on the other end of the ski weight range (6'2", 240), working on completing the course @ 48, 18.25 without gates & want to get comfortable running @ 54 this year. I do plan on changing to a 69" Radar Senate this year.

That's my $.02 and is worth about what you paid for it... Biggrin.gif

in case anyone misses my edit above 'Connelly have replied. The ski has resin capsules where current bindings screws are. Has no metal in it. They said can get adaptor plates so can could use existing holes. Doesn't sound good to me so decided, whole new setup required'

Thanks for the comments guys. It's a big help. I'm becoming tempted by your comments about shaped performance skis. Budget is tight, so in two minds about getting something now and possible chaneg in 3 years or get higher perf now.

But realistically budget is a major factor so I'd rather spend saved cash on coaching for my kids than a top end sixam that I'll realistically may never use the potential of. I'm athletic (go 50-60miles mountain bike rides) but no superman so getting to 34mph 22off will be good enough for me. The shaped perf sounds good idea although it's so tempting to go all out know there will be no need to change in future i.e. buy one, buy right

saw a synchro and a triumph in boat stores today. Man they are wide skis ! They must feel really different to the narrow ski I'm used to riding

If you think those skis are wide, don't check out the original biggest, baddest of em all....the Connelly Big Easy!!! We got one for my dad some years ago. It's definitely a unique ride!

post-99-1174739934_thumb.jpg

If you think those skis are wide, don't check out the original biggest, baddest of em all....the Connelly Big Easy!!! We got one for my dad some years ago. It's definitely a unique ride!

Hey Edwin - where is the back boot of that wakeboard? Tongue.gif Yikes!

I tried my sons 2007 HO Revolt 63.5" yesterday.

Wow, what a ride. Got up fine but I almost immediately threw the handle at the first turn island as I was worried about either not making the turn island or turning too quick & hitting it ! The ski feel so out of control. However once up again I found it great when edged but boy, was it a wiggly thing when cruising straight. Absolute straight easy but with tiniest pressure it wanted to turn. Felt a lot like a bike about to get out of control and handbar slap. Edged though just fantastic & acceleration compared to the Hook was awesome.

Guessing the responsiveness of the revolt/system 8/monza mould was assentuated by the skis being too small for me ? Would a 66" be less 'wiggly' ?

Do they always make a whistling type sound ? Son said it doesn't make any noise for him but I really noticed it. Something to do with me being too heavy & sinking it more ? 63.5" Revolt rated for up to 57kg & I'm 71kg.

Got used to it and loved it after a couple of passes. Thinking a proper performance ski may be for me but still want to seek out a shaped style to demo.

Higher-end skis do like to be on edge--they almost hunt for it. Doesn't surprise me that you found it wiggly. I'll be interested to hear how you make out trying a shaped performance ski.

Since you seem to like the perf skis, the mildly shaped skis - Radar Senate, O'Brien Evolution, HO Nitro may more to your liking than the Theory, Triumph, Synchro. I do know that there is a significant performance difference between the Charger & Vengeance (which are HO's older CSX based equivalent of the Triumph/Nitro).

The responsiveness would be accentuated by the ski being too small for you. If you really liked how it skied, then you should like one of the System 8's & they are only about $50 more than the Triumph @ Wiley's. No idea about the whistling/singing.