Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I NEED TRAILER REPAIR!

JDubya

I need help in finding some place to take my trailer to haave some work done.

The trailer is in need of a major overhaul, and I don't want to spend the money on a buying a new one. But on the other hand I need a reliable trailer. I have limped along since I bought the boat but, last year I replaced the axel so I am stuck with it for a while. But it needs some TLC to get back into good shape.

Any ideas on where to go or any places that would do quality repairs.

Here are some of the items I need repaired.

- New fenders

- New prop gaurd

- 2 cross member joints need to be replaced (might need whole new piece)

- New wiring, lamps and bunks/carpet.

Short of the axel and the basic frame (minus 2 cross members) everything needs work.

I figure about $1000 for the repairs and repaint. Am I dreaming? Has anyone had extensive work done on their trailer.

HELP ME!!! Frustrated.gifBlowup.gif

Edited by Ramman17

I think the trailers are pretty easy to do work on, but I imagine a decent paint job will run $1,000 or so... At least it would in my part of the world. I would strip everything down and take it to a welder and get them to do the welding and the fenders, Then paint, then last the bunks and the electrical...

Good Luck

There is a boat trailer manufacturer located halfway between Houston and Galveston in the town of Santa Fe. Sportsman Trailers is 409-925-2526 12405 18th Street Santa FE TX 77510. It is just off Hwy 6 near the so called "downtown". I called them and they do repairs.

I-45 South to FM 646 and go west to Santa Fe. FM 646 is about exit 20 so it is 30 miles south of downtown Houston.

Ramman - Be sure and get that trailer repaired before July!!! Whistling.gif

My previous boat had a trailer that was used in brackish water so I was constantly welding stuff on it.....PITA. Looking at what I spent in $ and time over the years, I should have ponied up and bought a new one. Dont know where you keep your boat, but, depending on what you need done, I would recommend taking it to a "welding shop"...much cheaper than a trailer place. That is, if you are just renewing and welding on new iron. I believe Husky Trailer (on I45 North) does trailer repair too. Call them and see.

Good luck.

I found a local guy who works for himself and had him sand blast, prime, and paint it. He charged me $475. I had the bearings repacked and I replaced the bunk carpet myself. Presto! Trailer, good as new.

I have been to the Husky trailer shop off 610 before. I will call them and see what they would charge. I also have considered Trailer Wheel and Frame here in Houston. I need rewelding somthings and replacing some tubular steel and a repaint. Right now I am more worried about the welding and replacement of metal.

I will call Sportsman and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the info.

July....I gotta get it fixed ASAP, I will go nuts if I have to wait till then to take her out. I haven't even got to try out the new tower yet. I gets me around and seems to be okay, but I just can't let if goe any more.

Gordo,

I keep it in a stall here in Katy. It makes it to Somerville but, I fear not for much longer untill I get her fixed.

• Like 1
I have been to the Husky trailer shop off 610 before. I will call them and see what they would charge. I also have considered Trailer Wheel and Frame here in Houston. I need rewelding somthings and replacing some tubular steel and a repaint. Right now I am more worried about the welding and replacement of metal.

I will call Sportsman and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the info.

July....I gotta get it fixed ASAP, I will go nuts if I have to wait till then to take her out. I haven't even got to try out the new tower yet. I gets me around and seems to be okay, but I just can't let if goe any more.

Gordo,

I keep it in a stall here in Katy. It makes it to Somerville but, I fear not for much longer untill I get her fixed.

There's a welding shop just outside the entrance to Rocky Creek Park on Sommerville. We keep our boat in those metal buildings there. That guy did some work on my old trailer - welding more steel - and he is very reasonable. See if he is there one Saturday - you might be able to leave your boat with him and he could work on it during the week.

Gordo

I took Moomba97's advice and called Sportsman. Their rate for weld work is similar to what I have found elsewhere ($50/hr). I am going to take it down there tomorrow to have them give it a once over and see what he can do and what it will cost to fix it. Depending on what he wants to charge me I will prob have them do it there. He seems fairly reasonable and a very knowledgeable guy.

Depending on what it is going to cost I might have to get in touch with your guy Gordo. As it is now, the beam that comes down from the tounge in the front and down to the first cross member is rusted out and I am afraid that it is going to crack and fail. That would be a disaster going down the road and is my biggest fear!!! So as I have mentioned that is priority #1, then I need a new prop guard with rollers. Once I have that I will be more comfortable with going a little distance to save some money on repairs.

Thanks for all the info. How in the world do I post pictures on here???? I have some photos that might paint a better picture......Anyone????

Edited by Ramman17