Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Board?

zollcat111

This topic has probably been beat to death, but i am starting to think about a new board. I am currently riding on a '99 Hyperlite Murry HC, behind a '94 echelon w/ only the wedge. The reason i am thinking new board, is one from what i have heard the advancments are amazing, and two dad just bought '07 RLxi and with wedge and two 680lb sacs. I am super stoked to get out and ride, and didnt know if a new board would help much.

5'10''

175 lbs

working on raley's and roll's

allready landing tantrums

I like more pop and less flats...

any help would be appreciated, thanks guys...

Check out something with a three stage rocker. A board with a more abrupt 3 stage will give you a more crisp pop off of the wake, more height and a little less distance into the flats. Your Murray is a continuous rocker and a mellow one at that, most of it's pop came from the width of the board.

From Hyperlite I'd check out the new Imperial (very abrupt 3 stage) or the Premier (more mellow 3 stage)

From Liquid Force I'd check out the Watson or the Shane.

If you want another choice check out the Ronix One.

Zollcat - Welcome to the site! The new boat sounds really exciting.

Where in MI are you? There are several Crew members boating in and around MI.

I am just in the midst of the great board decision as well, let me be the first on the board to suggest "demo, demo, demo!"

Riding styles and likes/dislikes of boards are so subjective, getting advice and suggestions will certainly help get you zoned into a few boards to begin DEMO'ING.

:)

Thanks for the tips corey, i looked at the premier, and was also thinking about giving the newer murray a try once the ice finally melted.

Bill, We are in west Mi. My dad is also on this site known as boatman... I hope to demo, but the closest board shop is over an hour away... there are just too many choices out there... Surfing.gif

Edited by zollcat111

I've been PM'ing with your dad on lifts; he's been very helpful, great guy!

There are a lot of choices but remember that is a GOOD thing! Thumbup.gif

Try looking at it this way, there is more than ONE great board for you and as you develop your riding style and bag of trick you are likely going to needs different types of boards. Do your research but don't let is paralyze you, there are MANY great boards out there that are very capable of great rides. You can still find some pretty good deals on 2006's and it seems each of the last couple of years their have been pretty good advances in materials, and technology of the boards and bindings.

I used the board selector of many sites to see what repeatedly came up. I also asked advice from riders and boaters I trusted, i read many forums but a lot of the forums stuff gets into a pi$ing match about brands which is too bad, it's also one of the things that makes THIS site so good, the folks here are smart, generous and don't waste time on the "my 123 brand is better than your ABC brand and so I'm better than you, and you are stupid" stuff. Everyone is different and has different needs so that kind of nonsense is a major waste of time and energy and not what boating or boarding or skiing is about.

When you think you found the three or two boards you want to demo, go demo them. If you REALLY can't demo, then just buy one and ride it the best you can and develop your skills with what you've got. I'll share some advice I've read recently from someone I respect... your EFFORT and ATTITUDE will have a much greater effect on your riding than any piece of equipment.

Remember, having fun is the name of the game here, get out riding and have a blast! Rockon.gifYahoo.gif