Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Billet Glove Box Door

db252

This topic has been approved by Wakegirl to post.

I am checking to see who would be interested in a group buy for the Billet Glove Box Door. I have approval from a dealer to do this and all that is required is to get at least 5 in for the buy.....well, actually 4 cause I'm gettin one. I have the cost that it will be delivered to your door which I will send in a PM to interested parties if the numbers are met. If you have the type of boat that this will work on and you have been considering it, this might be the time. For general info, the retail cost from Malibu for this is just over $200 and the group price is considerably cheaper.

As a side note, if the numbers for the group buy are met, this will then be posted in the group buy section. Also, please post here if you are interested for now since the dealer has the ability to view this post.

Thanks,

Dave

I guess I was just too anxious. Been waiting for group buy for a couple months and couldn't wait any longer. I got mine from UPS last week. Thanks skicrave. When installing this on my 06 VLX I had to drill out the rivits from the old door hinge to remove the hinge from the door. You will have to buy 10 new stainless screws to remount this hinge to the billit door. The new door is drilled and tapped for screws not rivits. The logo in the center of door will have to be transfered also. It is screwed to the inside of the old lid and you have to seperate the 2 sections of the lid to get to the screws. Actually it has 2 small hex head screws holding it on and you will need to replace them with flat head screws to fit the counter sink on the billit door. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it's not bad if you know ahead of time what you need. I didn't know, and tried to pry logo off as I thought it was held with adhesive which it is not. If I can remember, tomorrow I will post the sizes of the required screws.

Denny

Dave: Count me in the SS Glove box group buy, I just went to my dealer last week and they couldnt give me a price for it so I didnt want to order it. I tried to buy some MALIBU cleats and they wanted $ 99.00 a piece. So I said Ohh Hell Nahh. Tease.gif

Ronnie - Thanks and I figured that. Hopefully those will already know so I don't have to do that much homework.

dalt1 - Good info. My plastic door happens to be screwed in so hopefully that will match up but good info for others that may have this issue as well as the info on the emblem. Thanks again.

burbanized - I got you. I will PM you as soon as we get 3 more.

Everyone, please feel free to hand out information if you have done this mod that will help others with this process.

Thanks,

Dave

Ronnie - Thanks and I figured that. Hopefully those will already know so I don't have to do that much homework.

dalt1 - Good info. My plastic door happens to be screwed in so hopefully that will match up but good info for others that may have this issue as well as the info on the emblem. Thanks again.

burbanized - I got you. I will PM you as soon as we get 3 more.

Everyone, please feel free to hand out information if you have done this mod that will help others with this process.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

My door hinge was screwed into the dash but rivited into the door itself. The hole patterns did match up though.

I guess I was just too anxious. Been waiting for group buy for a couple months and couldn't wait any longer. I got mine from UPS last week. Thanks skicrave. When installing this on my 06 VLX I had to drill out the rivits from the old door hinge to remove the hinge from the door. You will have to buy 10 new stainless screws to remount this hinge to the billit door. The new door is drilled and tapped for screws not rivits. The logo in the center of door will have to be transfered also. It is screwed to the inside of the old lid and you have to seperate the 2 sections of the lid to get to the screws. Actually it has 2 small hex head screws holding it on and you will need to replace them with flat head screws to fit the counter sink on the billit door. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it's not bad if you know ahead of time what you need. I didn't know, and tried to pry logo off as I thought it was held with adhesive which it is not. If I can remember, tomorrow I will post the sizes of the required screws.

Denny

Forgot to mention that I also had to make a new latch bracket to mount to the dash due to the new box catch entering deeper into the box than original. Couldn't latch new one without about 3/16" slop and door rattling bach and forth.

Am I out of luck with my 2004?? I seem to recall that they changed the glove box design radically in 2005.

Yes you are out of luck. In 05 with the redesign the old flat top style glove box was removed in favor of a front opening larger glove box. Sorry but no can do on the 04 and older boats. The redesigned 23 from 04-06 also are not compatible.

Okay, so far there is:

Me

burbanized

sgtsandbagger (possibly)

srab (possibly)

aoblak

68Slalom

I'll have this moved to the 'group buy' section and contact the above and any others with the price that respond via PM.

Edited by db252
Okay, so far there is:

Me

burbanized

sgtsandbagger (possibly)

srab (possibly)

aoblak

I'll have this moved to the 'group buy' section and contact the above and any others with the price that respond via PM.

I'm too late aren't I, Let me know if I can still get in. I have a 06 XTI wakesetter and would like to upgrade to that glove box.

Thanks

Tony

I've now made a new post in the 'group buy' section to continue this topic. Please post further interests or questions there. Thank you.

CLICK HERE

Edited by db252
  • 3 weeks later...

Denny

Forgot to mention that I also had to make a new latch bracket to mount to the dash due to the new box catch entering deeper into the box than original. Couldn't latch new one without about 3/16" slop and door rattling bach and forth.

Okay, I finally had a chance to get up to the lake this past weekend with my new Billet Glove Box door. Happy

to replace that chincy plastic one. Exchange was fairly straightforward except for the latch bracket issue. Fabricating

a fix for that little problem has been a PITA, at least for me. Hate doing something half-fast, and I

haven't come up with anything that I'm entirely thrilled with. Any suggestions?

Also, the keyed latch mechanism didn't really want to fit in the Billet Glove Box hole. Had to cram it in, buggering

some of the plastic threads, and was never able to get it fully seated/flush. Almost, but not quite. Anybody else

had this problem?

Denny

Okay, I finally had a chance to get up to the lake this past weekend with my new Billet Glove Box door. Happy

to replace that chincy plastic one. Exchange was fairly straightforward except for the latch bracket issue. Fabricating

a fix for that little problem has been a PITA, at least for me. Hate doing something half-fast, and I

haven't come up with anything that I'm entirely thrilled with. Any suggestions?

Also, the keyed latch mechanism didn't really want to fit in the Billet Glove Box hole. Had to cram it in, buggering

some of the plastic threads, and was never able to get it fully seated/flush. Almost, but not quite. Anybody else

had this problem?

I Swapped out to billit a month ago. Had to make a new latch to hold door tight and not rattle. New latch made from .060" stainless and modified so screws mount outboard of latch tongue. I have some pics that I will try to post soon. It may help explain better.

• 8 months later...

BBLSV, this in response to your PM.

DSC02098.jpg This pic is hard to see due to glare. I will try to get a beter pic later. This is looking up at the latch. It has 2 slits in it from the front to halfway to back of the bracket. The tongue is bent down for the door latch to catch. The screw holes are outside the tongue and slotted so the door can be pulled tightly closed to prevent rattling. The original latch was screwed in behind the tongue if I remember correctly, and it left way to much slop for the door to rattle. This design allows the tongue to be positioned toward the rear of the box. Hope this helps.

Edited by dalt1