Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Guide Pole Covers

eubanks

So we have beaten up our guide pole covers pretty badly over the last 2+ seasons and it's time for some new ones. I saw the ones on the Malibu site but it seems a little crazy for them to be $66 + shipping for a pair.

http://gear.malibuboats.com/ProductInfo.as...roductid=CM4919

Any other thoughts? I'm not sure how much WSA charges for them.

Me 2...I got a pair but I got the 48" ones, since my boat ramp is kind of steep...I am going to get some longer PVC for the inner portion and use a longer pad. Otherwise, with the trailer at the right depth, the TOP of the pole strike the side of the boat...not good. Scuffed it up end of last season but was able to buff it all out. Going a different route this season.

Innocent.gif

$40.00 isn't bad.

I got some off E-bay from screaminsacs.com for $32.00 including shipping.

I have mine extended and it works good except you got to watch that they don't float all the way off the post. I had that happen 1 time. I put small holes in the top of the pad pole covers to let the air escape as I back deeper into the water and that seems to have helped. With the foam plus the air trapped in the tube, it had enough bouyancy to float right up and off the steel post.

I bought a set from screaminsacs.com and they barely lasted a year I will not be buying another pair from them.

I have mine extended and it works good except you got to watch that they don't float all the way off the post. I had that happen 1 time. I put small holes in the top of the pad pole covers to let the air escape as I back deeper into the water and that seems to have helped. With the foam plus the air trapped in the tube, it had enough bouyancy to float right up and off the steel post.

Attach a piece of heavy fishing line or trimmer line to the top of the pole covers (use the holes you already drilled) and run the line down the inside of the pole. Attach the other end to the bottom of the pole or the trailer and your problem is solved.

Our site is down, but we still offer guide pads in 30" or 48" - I think they're priced at 27.50/pair plus shipping, but I can check.

If you want some just email me - [email protected]

Thanks,

Peter

When you gonna get that fixed, Peter? Dontknow.gif I popped over there when I first saw this thread, but couldn't get to anything much beyond your home page.

How well do guide pads hold up? I think I am pretty gentle when I launch/load the boat, but there are some gouges in the PVC pipe from where the rub rail has gouged them. Will the pads get torn up quickly?

BTW, I let me wife try to drive the boat onto the trailer for the first time 2 days ago. It didn't work out too well. She hit the throttle a little too hard and drifted into the right guide pole with the starboard side of the boat. The PVC pipe had floated up several inches, and the weight of the boat snapped the PVC pipe. THe sharp edge of the metal guide pole underneath then proceeded to thrash the front part of the tribal graphics and scratched the gel coat a little underneath. I will be the only one loading the boat from now on. I thought we had this down, seeing that this is now our third boat. I don't think Lowes/Home Depot carries black PVC pipe for me to replace it with. Anyone know where to find black PVC pipe for the guide poles on my Boatmate trailer?

Peter-

I'm sending you an email about the guide pads, and a question or 2 about replacement Malibu stickers for that side.

Thanks

Edited by atropine

I don't remember where I got the idea, probably off of here, but I took some trailer bunk carpeting and some 3M adhesive and wrapped it around the PVC pipes. It looks really good, and it is virtually indestructable. I had a pair of the malibu covers and they were shredded within a year. I am really glad I did it, because I have not had to mess with them in over a year and a half. Also, they add just enough weight that the pipes don't bob in the water anymore. Just a thought.