Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hellroaring vs. Stinger SR200

ffdawg

The Hellroaring Isolator seems to be pretty popular here for members with a dual-battery setup, but I've also seen a few members mention they use the Stinger high current relay for their battery isolation. Are these two basically the same thing? Thanks.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Co...sid/0/SFV/30046

Edited by ffdawg
  • 2 weeks later...

Let me try here how to describe the two. An isolater is great because the with multible batteries you keep them seperate. Therefore, when you are lounging around your starting battery will remain charged and the accessory batteries will discharge. However an isolater will have voltage drop which is never good for amps/stereos. When using a combiner there is no voltage drop, but when hanging out all of the batteries are being discharged. Also when you go to recharge you charge all the batteries, which leads to longer charging times. Hellroaring is the best of the two products, I think, it is a combiner and isolater. Please don't kill me if I am wrong but that is my basic understanding and why I bought the hellroaring.

I've been running a Stinger 200 since '03 with zero problems. No problems with any voltage drop while sitting listening to 1300w of stereo. Never ran a battery down listening to the stereo either.

The Hellroaring is a solid state switch...basically transistors. The Stinger is an old school mechanical relay. I beleive the Hellroaring is good for 1 million cycles the mechanical is good for 100K cycles. You get what you pay for.

There are several of the solid state varieties on the market. The procuct is known as an Automatic Charging Relay. The low end Hellroaring is capable of providing 150 Amps of charging current which is way over kill for charging your battery.

The Orbital AGM battery has a max charge current of 35 Amps.

The Optima AGM battery is unlimited but you need to watch the heat. I charge mine at 60 Amps and it gets pretty hot.

Old school batteries, flooded lead acid and Gels charge at 10 - 15 Amps.

I like the BlueSea 7100 Isolator/ACR. It is capable of providing 60 Amps @$65.00

The Hellroaring 95150 is the current low end product, capable of 150 amps @ $180.00

Edited by MoonDawg
The Hellroaring is a solid state switch...basically transistors. The Stinger is an old school mechanical relay. I beleive the Hellroaring is good for 1 million cycles the mechanical is good for 100K cycles. You get what you pay for.

There are several of the solid state varieties on the market. The procuct is known as an Automatic Charging Relay. The low end Hellroaring is capable of providing 150 Amps of charging current which is way over kill for charging your battery.

The Optima AGM battery is unlimited but you need to watch the heat. I charge mine at 60 Amps and it gets pretty hot.

I like the BlueSea 7100 Isolator/ACR. It is capable of providing 60 Amps @$65.00

The Hellroaring 95150 is the current low end product, capable of 150 amps @ $180.00

What do you mean by low end product? and what do you mean by solid state switch/ transistors vs old school relay. Is there a DOWNSIDE to having that old school relay. last question being is it worth that extra 120 to get the hellroaring?!

Thanks everyone i LOVE this forum!

Q1:What do you mean by low end product?

They have much more expensive ACR that is capable of switching 300 Amps

Q2: and what do you mean by solid state switch/ transistors vs old school relay.

Sorry I am an Elect. Engineer .... I forget that not everyone is :) relays are an electro mechanical device. They are not as reliable as a transistor.

Q3:Is there a DOWNSIDE to having that old school relay.

The relay reliability is the downside but 100K cycles seems pretty reliable. You will have to remember to flip the switch to charge your 2nd battery, if you connect the relay to the key On position then you don't have to remember to charge but the battery could still draw down the Starter battery if you leave the key on.

Q4:last question being is it worth that extra 120 to get the hellroaring?!

I don't own one...you might want to ask a satisfied owner. If I had two secondary batteries I could justify the extra amps but 60 is good enough for my one Optima.

Thanks everyone i LOVE this forum!

In this case I believe "OLD SCHOOL" wins out. You can buy a new one every 5 to ten years for much much less $ if you have your boat that long, Also less excess crap=less problems and easier maintenance/diagnostics . AND much easier install, like 30min or less I would hope .

MoonDawg - could you provide a link to the BlueSea 7100 mentioned above? I've done a search and don't think I'm finding the right item. Thanks.

....MoonDawg - could you provide a link to the BlueSea 7100 mentioned above? I've done a search and don't think I'm finding the right item. Thanks.

Sorry that should have been a 7600 model

Link

....MoonDawg - could you provide a link to the BlueSea 7100 mentioned above? I've done a search and don't think I'm finding the right item. Thanks.

Sorry that should have been a 7600 model

Link

Wow, is it really that simple or am I reading it wrong? I had planned on using a Perko switch just because I thought an automatic version would be not worth the extra $ (eg. Hellroaring), but for around $65 this seems like the way to go. Especially since it would eliminate the possibility of forgetting to manually move the switch (i.e. one too many beers, or wife driving).

I noticed in the documentation it says you may want to set the Overvoltage value lower for Gel Cell and AGM batteries. Did you do this or leave the factory setting? If I remember, you're running Optimas.

Wow, is it really that simple or am I reading it wrong?

It is that simple...unbelievable eh?!

I noticed in the documentation it says you may want to set the Overvoltage value lower for Gel Cell and AGM batteries. Did you do this or leave the factory setting? If I remember, you're running Optimas.

I have left mine as is but what I have found is these devices could change thresholds if they get really hot. That is another benni from others on the market....these can be adjusted.