Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perko Wiring

ffdawg

Did a search to get some info on wiring a dual-battery setup, but came away a little confused. Does it make a difference if the accessory items (amps, etc.) are wired directly to the Perko switch, or directly to the second (or non-starting) battery? Seems I was reading about systems wired both ways and am not sure which would be ideal. Thanks.

Not sure it matters, so long as you know which way it is. Personal preference.

I have always, and will do my Bu the same...wired everything to the common RED on the Perko and that way everything will work regardless of which battery I am using. The trick still will be to remember to switch to ONE battery whilst sitting still for a long time so as to not run both bats down. Whistling.gif

Hope this helps,

Did a search to get some info on wiring a dual-battery setup, but came away a little confused. Does it make a difference if the accessory items (amps, etc.) are wired directly to the Perko switch, or directly to the second (or non-starting) battery? Seems I was reading about systems wired both ways and am not sure which would be ideal. Thanks.

I always connect all my electronics to the thumb screw post on my 2nd battery to keep grounding issues to a minimum.

Your referring to the ground, I take it? Since both batteries share the common ground via the GROUND JUMPER. Good idea, by the way. I will use that on mine. But the positive should be at the MAIN positive take off for the PERKO, otherwise you would only get power when switched to battery 2, correct?

Been since last season when I messed with a Perko, but I think that is right? Dontknow.gif

I always connect all my electronics to the thumb screw post on my 2nd battery to keep grounding issues to a minimum.

I like the idea of keeping the stereo and accessory stuff seperate from the boat battery, and if you get an isolator you dont have to worry about switching back and forth to charge your batterys. Here is a diagram of my set up.

Boat_Battery_set_up.doc

I like the idea of keeping the stereo and accessory stuff seperate from the boat battery, and if you get an isolator you dont have to worry about switching back and forth to charge your batterys. Here is a diagram of my set up.

So with your setup, you have an isolator and 2 perko swithes? I like the idea of two batteries, but I don't have a monster stereo to worry about draining one of them, and I have a portable jump start unit, but dislike the idea of being stuck on the lake with a dead/bad battery.

In your setup, it looks like you could use your stereo battery in an "emergency parallel" situation to start the boat by switching the "boat" perko to both. Is that correct?

And do you know which battery in your setup the boats voltmeter is monitoring?

Edited by rts

So with your setup, you have an isolator and 2 perko swithes? I like the idea of two batteries, but I don't have a monster stereo to worry about draining one of them, and I have a portable jump start unit, but dislike the idea of being stuck on the lake with a dead/bad battery.

In your setup, it looks like you could use your stereo battery in an "emergency parallel" situation to start the boat by switching the "boat" perko to both. Is that correct?

And do you know which battery in your setup the boats voltmeter is monitoring?

You nailed it.

I used to carry a portable jump unit before I put this system in. One battery is just for the stereo, and one is to power the boat. They way they are wired to the Perkos I can use the stereo battery to start or run the boat if I have a problem. The boat battery voltage is monitored off the boat gauge display and the stereo is monitored off a digital read out distribution block.

Here's one more option attached. Instead of reaching for a Perko you can mount the swith at you finger tips if you like to switch the batteries manually.

I use the selenoid connected to the ignition switch, key on both batteries connected and charging, key off accessory batteries isolated. pretty simple and idiot proof.

post-149-1174351477_thumb.png

I use a Perko also. It's easy enough to just flip the switch if we sit for an extended amount of time.

post-144-1174632972_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sunsetter95
BigD - Are you using the Stinger SR200 or something else?

It's Stingers, I don't remember what the model is.

How easy is this to wire in to your ignition? What is that toggle switch you show in your diagram, something you have to do manually? Thanks.