Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

leaking water

took the bu out for the first time this year today. it is a 1995 sunsetter with the 454. after driving the boat for about 15 minues i noticed that there was water dripping from the front of the motor. i am not sure where it was coming from but it looked like it was coming from behind one of the pulleys. i was unable to locate where it was coming from because it would dripp on the belt and then throw it everywhere. does anyone have any idea what it could be. much help appreciated.

If I had to guess...the engine circulating pump. Mine went out at the end of last season...same symptoms as what you describe. The good news is that it's only about a $100 part and not that big of a deal to replace. I did mine in about 45 minutes.

To double check if this is actually the problem loosen the alternator and remove the belt. Then remove the pulley that's on the front of the pump. Once you get it off you should see a "water trail" from the leak. There is a weep hole on the pump that allows water to leak out if it getting past the seal on the pump. If there is no water trail there...look for it elsewhere. After leaking for just a short time a trail will be left behind.

Good luck. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu
took the bu out for the first time this year today. it is a 1995 sunsetter with the 454. after driving the boat for about 15 minues i noticed that there was water dripping from the front of the motor. i am not sure where it was coming from but it looked like it was coming from behind one of the pulleys. i was unable to locate where it was coming from because it would dripp on the belt and then throw it everywhere. does anyone have any idea what it could be. much help appreciated.

If the pulley that the water is coming from behind is the "center" pulley, it is probably the water pump. If so, you don't have to get a "boat" water pump, just take off the old one & have NAPA match it up to its automotve counterpart.

i just want to say how much i appreciate everyones input about what the problem was. no matter the problem someone on here knows exactly what it is.

i went up and took the pulley off and sure enough water was coming out of the hole. it took 15 minutes to take off and put back together and 2 hrs to find a new pump. the problem is solved and i am ready to hit the water again.

this is the best site ever, thanks

joeyd

Glad you solved it. Even NorCaliBull gets one right occasionally. ;)
:lol: Hey...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. :lol: You're just upset that I diagnosed the problem correctly and you guessed wrong. Tongue.gif Hose clamps... Crazy.gif

Glad you got it fixed Joey. Thumbup.gif Just ignore Jack, everyone else does.