Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Home made board rack for the Illusion X

Jameslo

This is something I've been working for a week or so. I thought I'd put a few pictures of it here in case anyone else is hauling a lot of boards and is wondering what to do other than spend lots of money on another set of racks.

I made this so that I could carry 2 additional boards and so that the upper set can still pivot. I got the forks from an Internet place. They're a little narrower than the original equipment. I wasn't expecting that. The Roam and the States can fit in it, but not the Byerly, Syn or the Drive.

Anyway, here it is. It's not finished yet, but I thought I'd throw it out here in case it might help someone with ideas.

The one who dies with the most toys, wins. And I think I'm in second place so far :)

bkright.jpg

fleft1.jpg

fleft2.jpg

THE ONE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS! YA BUTT HE'S STILL DEAD!!!!! Tease2.gif SO THE SAYING IS HE WHO DIES YOUNG PLAYED HARDER!!! Tease.gif

Those look really good! I am in the process of making a ski rack that could be expandable to hold a surf\wake board. I have drawn up some rough sketches but nothing too definitive yet. I ordered the aluminum last week and plan to work on it in the coming weeks. I have access to a good sized machine shop. I would be interested in any more knowledge, pictures, and plans you have.

A few questions also:

What grade of aluminum (I take it that’s what you used) did you use?

Are you planning on treating or coating the aluminum in any way to reduce oxidation?

What site did you get the forks from?

Thanks,

Chad

Jameslo, nice work! Can you post more detailed picks and parts list. I have the same problem and need to add for a couple more boards.

Thanks,

Don

I'll post some pictures of the rack without the boards and from a few angles. Now that it's in place I can see where I could make a few modifications and even make it swivel, so there will likely be a Rev 2.

I'll be happy to go into the details, measurements, et al, with anyone interested in it. PM me and we can take that part of it off line in email so we don't clutter up the board too much.

The camera mount works great. The only problem is that it can't work with the top opened up. I bought a 3" bullet cam that I'm going to make a mount for to go on top of the rope mount, though. That'll plug into the camera with it on the mount. The mount itself, though, works great. No jittering, it follows the rider smoothly, even when they wipe out.

Edited by Jameslo

Does it not work with the top open becuase the top is then in the view of the camera lense, or does it block the movement of the mount?

Does it not work with the top open becuase the top is then in the view of the camera lense, or does it block the movement of the mount?

The problem is that the rope is on the top side of the bimini to atttach to the swivel and the arm that captures the rope to swivel the mount is on the bottom side of the bimini.

The rack looks good. I assume you are, or know a machinist. I am a machinist myself. I just finished a surfboard rack for my Illusion tower. I'll take some pics tomorow. Nice work dude.

The rack looks good. I assume you are, or know a machinist. I am a machinist myself. I just finished a surfboard rack for my Illusion tower. I'll take some pics tomorow. Nice work dude.

No, I'm not a machinist, but I do a little metal work. I've got most of what I need to do stuff like this, but a CNC machine and a TIG welder would sure be nice.

Please do post some pictures. The whole point of my post was to get people thinking of other ways to get what they need other than having to write college tuition sized checks and to give some ideas :)

The more ideas, the better.

INTchamp -- nice work on the surf rack -- looks great!

Did you make the plate as well? What about the emblem? Did you take that from the tower?

Made the whole thing. A CNC uses a computer program to cut with. If I can draw a part in Surfcam, I can cut it. I wanted it to look kinda factory, but kinda custom. The tower side is actually scalloped, like Mastercraft is doing on all there dash and tower pieces, but it's hard to tell from the pic. It turned out pretty good I guess.