Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monoon 340 raw water impeller?

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Sunscape LSV with a 340 Monsoon. I am looking to purchasing a spare raw water impeller to keep handy just in case. Does anyone know the part number and/or a good place to buy one? How about the Globe "Run Dry" Impellers are they any good?

Also I was wondering about the instalation. Is it realativly simple? Can I do it out on the lake if needed?

Thanks

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Sunscape LSV with a 340 Monsoon. I am looking to purchasing a spare raw water impeller to keep handy just in case. Does anyone know the part number and/or a good place to buy one? How about the Globe "Run Dry" Impellers are they any good?

Also I was wondering about the instalation. Is it realativly simple? Can I do it out on the lake if needed?

Thanks

You'll want the plain old Johnson 812 impeller and gasket. Very common impeller -should be available everywhere for about $30. SkiDIM sells 'em here....

As the the Globe impellers....I've only read bad things about them. Biggest complaint seems to be the vanes being too flexible to move enough water and low RPMs leading to overheating at idle.

Changing out an impeller is painful on a V-drive. Likely to be all the more so if done on the water, with all that water rushing in through the intake line...

Thank you very much.

As for the instaltion, is it somthing that can be done fairly easily? Common tools in the driveway kind of job, or should I let the dealer do it?

Also how long do they generally last? Mine is only is a year old with about 50 hours on it. I pretty sure Ill be ok this year.

Any thoughts?

Hello all,

Thanks

You'll want the plain old Johnson 812 impeller and gasket. Very common impeller -should be available everywhere for about $30. SkiDIM sells 'em here....

As the the Globe impellers....I've only read bad things about them. Biggest complaint seems to be the vanes being too flexible to move enough water and low RPMs leading to overheating at idle.

Changing out an impeller is painful on a V-drive. Likely to be all the more so if done on the water, with all that water rushing in through the intake line...

Does this kit include the gasket?

Thank you very much.

As for the instaltion, is it somthing that can be done fairly easily? Common tools in the driveway kind of job, or should I let the dealer do it?

Also how long do they generally last? Mine is only is a year old with about 50 hours on it. I pretty sure Ill be ok this year.

Any thoughts?

It's a driveway job. It certainly doesn't require any special mechanical skills, but it can definitely be a PITA on a V-drive.

The kit includes the gasket. SkiDIM used to also include a little tube of food-grade silicone oil, which made insertion quite a bit easier. Many people use dish soap to lube the impeller up and rotate it into place (some kind of lubrication is necessary). I like the food-grade silicone oil because it doesn't dry out and all the impeller lubrication is still there on that first start up.

The cover bolts on the pump are brass and pretty soft. Overtorquing them even a little can snap them off pretty easily so IMHO it would be smart to order up some extra cover bolts when you order the impeller.

Additionally, you'll find that the contortions necessary to get that impeller out in a V-drive can be difficult. Because of the tight fit on the pump shaft, it has to pull exactly straight off or else it will bind. Many people use needle-nose vise-grips, but again you have to have the leverage to be able to pull straight back. If that doesn't work out for your configuration, an impeller puller can be invaluable. Another reason to consider an impeller puller is that ANY side-to-side levering on that impeller as you pull it out can eccentrically crush the pump seal, resulting in a leak and the subsequent need to remove the pump and replace the seal.

Indmar and most boat mfgrs recommend changing that impeller every year. My dealer say that's unnecessary and I know a lot of people who only change it every couple of years unless its abused and breaks.

Edited by Big Mac

Ha. I changed mine out yesterday and it was not easy getting the thing out. I should have used some of the tips others have posted such as putting in some lube and turning over the engine to dislodge it. I replaced the impeller with a new one, but ordered a new one along with an impeller puller last night from SkiDIM.

It was actually easier to get to the impeller housing than I thought it would be. The rear compartments are larger and panels easier to remove for access in my 06 VLX than they were in my 01 SSVLX.

I also change my impeller on Sunday It was easier putting it in that it was pulling it out but now I know for next year. I bought two, one for the replacment and a spare for the just in case Dontknow.gif

Good luck

I changed mine last weekend as well, and it was a piece of cake! But then, my engine if facing the correct direction. Biggrin.gif

The old impeller got a liberal dose of 303, placed in a ziplock baggy and dropped into the onboard toolbox as this year's spare. Last year's spare was discarded.

Hello all,

Thanks

FWIW, I also have a Sunscape. I removed the old impeller last Fall while winterizing and replaced it with a

new impeller the day-before-yesterday. IMHO, it's an easy job. Lots of room for me to lie down in the

port-side storage compartment, and the removable panels make engine access easy. That portion of the

panel aft of the removable panel is also easily removed (one Phillips head screw), allowing the ability to

see the plate and screws. The new impeller comes with a pouch of glycerin for lubrication. Also comes with

a new gasket.

Also, IMHO, it would be an easy job on the water, though I've never tried it. My 2006 Sunscape, and I presume

yours also, has a shut-off valve right at the raw water uptake (yellow handle; up is open and down to starboard

side is closed). This just in case you were concerned about taking on water with the impeller housing plate

removed, which I think is unlikely unless you are heavily loaded in the rear.

Tools: box or ratchet wrench for housing bolts, needle-nosed pliers/vice grips to help with removal of old

impeller

I purchased this latest impeller from skidim.com, though Overton's also carries it: $29.99. I purchased

the previous one from the dealer @ $42.00 plus tax. Big mistake.