Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 sportster many questions newbeeee

just got a 99 malibu and it was not winterized rite (michigan) i pulled the block plugs and a couple of drops of water came out each side then un hooked the manifolds and the same so i think they just drained the block and never put antifreez in it so I hooked up a hose to it and ran it for about a half hour. I did not see any problems. So then, I winterized the boat and discovered the water pump was shot. Just so happens that there was a new one in the boat. So I cleaned out the screen and winterized it. All seems fine. WHAT ELSE SHOULD I LOOK FOR??

When it's running, the oil pressure gauge will read approximately 60, and then drop really quick and then come back up, over and over again at the same RPM. What could this be?

If you ran it for 1/2 an hour...it should be OK. When you say the "water pump was shot"...you mean the impeller? Not uncommon, those should be replaced every 12-24 months depending on how much you use the boat. Winterizing without antifreeze isn't a big deal as long as the boat was stored in an attached (heated) garage...kinda risky if it's stored outside though. Check your engine oil, make sure that it's not milky in color. The oil pressure gauges jumps around a bit at idle...not sure why. Dontknow.gif

Welcome to the site and to the joys of owning a hole in the water into which you can throw all of your $$. :)

Welcome.gif to the site! You're gonna find a lot of great info/help here, no doubt. Just beware of Jack (VinRLX) - that guy's usually blathering on about something, but rarely is it on topic. Innocent.gif

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about whether or not it was in a heated garage. No question that AF would have been better in this neck of the woods, but the important thing is that the bulk of the water was drained out. The trace amount of water in there shouldn't have hurt anything - lots of room for the little bit that was left to expand. And like Michael said, check your oil - if it isn't milky in color, you're in good shape. No worries on the oil pressure - as long as it isn't pegged at zero, you're good to go.

That said, it is a bit curious that you ran it for 30 minutes, and then found you had a bum impeller. That would make me wonder if you were getting any water into the engine during the 30 minutes. Hopefully there was water coming out the exhaust?

BTW, where in Michigan?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

im in fenton ,i raped tape around the gardon hose and un hooked the pu hose and shoved the gardon hose in there so the water was being forced in by water pressure -when i put anti freeze in is when i found out the impeller was shot it would not pick up-THANKS TO YOU GUYS I FOUND THE LITTLE PICES OF RUBBER IN THE TRANS COOLER SCREEN AS WELL AS A LOT OF OLD SEEWEED

THANK YOU

I live on lobdell -as for the course i got this boat manily for the kids i need ALOT OF PRACTICE but i will get there . do you guys ski in the show over there