Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSV hull/draft changes over the years

dew.man

I'm looking to buy a used 2001 WSLSV Biggrin.gif , and am having a hard time finding information on how the hull has evolved.

The specs I found show that all 23' WakeSetters run on a v25, but while 2001 only drafts 18", that number goes up to 20" for 2002, then up to 22", 24", and all the way up to 27" for 2007 Crazy.gif . So is this a progression in hull design, or simply different measurements methods?

Can anyone with a 2001 23LSV tell me how much water it REALLY needs? I know I will need to be carefull in anything less than 4-5', but some of the launches around here get pretty shallow, and I do spend some time at the sand-bar hangouts so...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by dew.man

Common - somebody's gotta know!

I've seen discussions about how the numbers have changed to measure draft while on plane or sitting still, but am looking for specifics:

Getting ready to buy an 01 WS LSV, but am concerned that it may draft too deep for the shallow lakes around SE Michigan...

So what do you really wanna know?

Sounds like you've got the specs.

The hull changed in 2004.. not sure that it changed between 2001 and 2002.. there were interior changes between 01/02

I know with Alvie on the back deck my draft is prolly 30". Crazy.gif

Keep in mind your real milage may vary so err on the long side.

Most lake bottoms aren't really flat anyway so keep with your plan and be very cautious in shallow water.

There we go - thanks for the input!

It's not so much how shallow my lake is, but rather the launch areas, as well as the sand-bars I like to hang out at. And in those situations, there is a BIG difference between the advertised 18" draft, and Brad B's measured 30"

And I know there was a hull change in 04, but there also seems to be a progression in draft in the years around that. I'd like to know if that is from changes in the way they measured, or the way they built them Dontknow.gif

So Brad, what year is your LSV?

Brad has an '03, which is very much, quite similar to my '02 (in terms of draft)

I don't see that many changes in the data.. looks like it was 18" in 2000/2001, and then went to 20" in 2002/2003.. that could be due to the ballast tanks being added, or other interior setup changes..

in 2004/2005 it was 25" or something like that, and then bumped up again in 2006.. etc..

Buy what you like - if your launch is shallow - back out further..

Oh, and the <2004 boats typically sit lower in the trailer because of their narower beam. This will help get the boat out in shallower water

BradB's boat with Alvie on it. Thus the 30" rule...That'd be Alvie on the back. Surprised.gif

gallery_26_317_71513.jpg

That's hillarious! I'd like to see the wake behind that!

dew.man,

Draft is a measurement that has been hotly debated over the years (I was even asked by one member to put a tape measure on an RLXI at the boat show a few years ago :lol:). Anyway, in putting together that database of information, I pulled those numbers directly from Malibu's promo material & brochures. Now, is the draft measurement accurate? I have no way of knowing for sure, but after putting that database together, my suspicion is that the most recent years are pretty accurate & that the farther back you go, the less accurate it gets. That hull didn't change at all until '04, so I don't see how the draft could change at all if they used the same standards to measure it each year (which they should have been doing). Anyway, I would take the most recent measurement & go with that one. Honestly though, when it comes to this kind of specification, variances between boats can create enough of a difference that you should learn your boat & how deep it sits rather than trusting what a website or piece of paper tells you it should be. And that doesn't even touch on the differences in gear & loads that different people carry with them.

Draft is a measurement that has been hotly debated over the years (I was even asked by one member to put a tape measure on an RLXI at the boat show a few years ago :lol:).

I read that thread - that's how I knew the topic has been discussed, but if memory serves me correctly, it did not specifically address the LSV with the V25, but was rather focused on the RLXI.

...my suspicion is that the most recent years are pretty accurate & that the farther back you go, the less accurate it gets. That hull didn't change at all until '04, so I don't see how the draft could change at all...

That's where it gets a little foggy for me: I know there was a major re-design in 04. I also know that there were also some major changes in 02 which included a different material for the floor. But even in years before and after those 2 specific changes, Malibu not only listed different drafts, but even the boat weight itself was different. Knowing that this could be due to different accessories, I was wondering if there were other changes that I was not aware of yet.

Anyway, I would take the most recent measurement & go with that one. Honestly though, when it comes to this kind of specification, variances between boats can create enough of a difference that you should learn your boat & how deep it sits rather than trusting what a website or piece of paper tells you it should be. And that doesn't even touch on the differences in gear & loads that different people carry with them.

Well, I'm busted! Truth be told, I'm overly anxious to pick the boat up, and am trying to fill the void by reading about it Crazy.gif

I sold my last boat shortly after my twins were born as I wasn't getting any use out of it, and after 5 long years, am ready to get back on the water. The kids were both up on snow skis this year, and one of them has even started boarding. So I think they're ready (and I know I definately am). So now I just need to pass the next month waiting for the ice to melt off the lakes Biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for all the input!

I don't think that I would quantify the changes in '02 as major, even with a weight change. Fundamentally the boat is the same until '04, but like you said accessories may play a role with that. What I don't like about that is that things like ballast were still optional & they shouldn't be taking measurements like that with options in the boats - it should be a straight up base model boat with no options to get a fair comparison across the years. But I suspect that isn't the case. Dontknow.gif

In any case, good luck with the purchase & keep us posted on that. BTW, nice use of the multi-quote feature. :)

BTW, nice use of the multi-quote feature. :)

Yea, while you're waiting for your boat, you could do a training class for some of the regulars on here ;)

BTW, nice use of the multi-quote feature. :)
Yea, while you're waiting for your boat, you could do a training class for some of the regulars on here ;)
:lol: You read my mind. :lol: