Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Graffiti - how to get it off gelcoat

chathamsolutions

I was driving by my dealer last night, and my Bu was sleeping there - getting some work done. So I decided to stop by and see what was up. The Bu had been there for a few days, and I hadn't heard anything - another reason I wanted to check in.

Interestingly the whole store crew was there. Man, they had a lot of boats there. The place looked different, but felt like the dealer - hard to explain. I spotted the service manager and headed towards him. He was diligently giving orders to others and took a while to talk to me. I asked how things were going, a little small talk, and then asked about my Bu. He said there were 'some complications' and it might take quite a while before I could have her back.

I was alarmed.

"Wait, I only brought her in for a routine 50 hour service. What complications could you have had?"

"Well, it wasn't anything our service crew did. Errr, ummmm." He was stalling; I could tell he didn't want to say what had happened. I waited.

"Well, you see, we had some vandalism here at the shop last night. Apparently someone broke in and has vandalized a few boats, including yours."

I was pissed and asked to see my boat immediately. But he kept stalling. A few other service guys had arrived and were listening to our conversation by now. I was getting a bit excited, so can understand why people would be paying attention.

The service manager started asking questions about my boat insurance - saying something to the effect that I'd signed a release of liability and that my coverage would be responsible. Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Then one of the other guys was saying something about how insurance carriers weren't covering these type of problems. They'd had customers that were turned down by their carriers for these claims - the service manager wasn't happy when he said this and neither was I.

Apparently someone had taken one of those wide Magic Markers and tagged the side of my boat with their gang logos. They'd also gotten into the interior of the boat and knifed my cushions.

I was very upset now, to the point of boiling over rage. I wanted to see my boat now. They pointed in the direction of my Bu, but I couldn't see it. I started walking through the maze of boats. It wound all around, the lighting was terrible - but I knew I was headed in the right direction.

I finally got to the corner of the lot and looked up to see my baby...

That's when I sat bolt up in bed in a sweat at 5:59am this morning.

Man, that sucked. Fortunately my baby was still sleeping outside under the covers and no problems. But it was hard to shake the feelings of being violated by people who thrashed my Bu for no reason - and being so angry at my service guys.

I've had dreams like this about loosing family, friends and waking up all disturbed. This was the first time it happened with the Bu. Think I'm obsessed? :)

It's just crazy how worked up you can get in a dream. Normally I sleep like a baby, but on occaision I'll have one like this that'll get my goat.

I was sure thankful 'it was all a dream'.

As I read your report I remembered how open my boat dealer's lot is and how easy it would be for someone to get to boats that are sitting therer. I also remember signing the release that you referred to basically stating that I had better have insurance because the dealer's policy doesn't cover any such damage. Although I am glad it was only a dream it has reignited my concern about this issue.. :-(

Jeff/AirChair1

i thought story was kinda weird when you said gangs. i started thinking "oooo, those computer nerd gangs of the rough areas of silicon valley are really bad. they hold themselves to a higher(or lower) standard than the LA gangs." Biggrin.gif

crazy dream, i guess i'm glad i don't remember my dreams.

Rivetting story Andy. Nice to have a reality check now and then and I'm off to my bloke-shed right now just to check that the RLX is still mint. Might even give it a quick polish to show I care!

As I read your report I remembered how open my boat dealer's lot is and how easy it would be for someone to get to boats that are sitting therer.  I also remember signing the release that you referred to basically stating that I had better have insurance because the dealer's policy doesn't cover any such damage. Although I am glad it was only a dream it has reignited my concern about this issue.. :-(

Jeff/AirChair1

You know, I think it's this fact, along with my love for my Bu (obviously) and the thread I read recenlty about that guys boat that sank and his insurance wouldn't cover it. Kind of like the Bermuda Triangle - all bad things leading to my Perfect Storm nightmare. :)

Never had that dream. Until tonight...........

My nightmares are of shallow water with a rookie at the helm laughing as we bump over stumps and rocks........

I was getting ready to go run down some random gang members. Mad.gif

What the heck is wrong with you!

I think it's time for your 50hr check up.

Good one Andy. My question after reading that is, how many of you guys have dealers that require a release like that to be signed? Mine has never asked for that, & I have no doubts that he'd take care of me if something happened.

Theft is a common thing in CA - especially with stereo equipment. If you drive by the dealer's lots you'll see barbed wire, etc. And a release is common.

Andy,

Sorry to hear about that. I can't believe they would do that to your boat. I was so pissed (and scared) that I immediately left work and went and picked my boat up from the dealer after reading your post. He was kinda freaked out when I told him what happened....he has hardly any protection at his shop (except for his cocker spaniel). I even called my insurance company. He's thinking about hiring a security service until he gets some cameras. I'd be sick if someone vandalized my boat. Keep us posted on the outcome with your insurance company.

Andy,

Sorry to hear about that.  I can't believe they would do that to your boat....Keep us posted on the outcome with your insurance company.

Ummm, Superjet, I think you may have missed one very important line in Andy's post... :lol:

That's when I sat bolt up in bed in a sweat at 5:59am this morning.   

:lol:

Andy,

Sorry to hear about that. I can't believe they would do that to your boat. I was so pissed (and scared) that I immediately left work and went and picked my boat up from the dealer after reading your post. He was kinda freaked out when I told him what happened....he has hardly any protection at his shop (except for his cocker spaniel). I even called my insurance company. He's thinking about hiring a security service until he gets some cameras. I'd be sick if someone vandalized my boat. Keep us posted on the outcome with your insurance company.

I REALLY hope you are joking with that post!!!

Let us know what you dreamed tonight? I am curious how they will handle it. I am thinking it will involve a supervised and assisted detail on the boat by the Hawaiian Tropic bikini girls, and a beat down by the service guys that catch the bangers tonight! Sweet dreams! KC