Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Differences in Response LXI

grnautique

I am looking at several different model year Response LXIs, 2004, 2005, 2006. I know the hull hasn't changed until 2007 but does anyone know the changes between model years? I know the 2006 has the new display and Malibu Cruise but I can't seem to find any differences between '04 and '05. Thanks

'06 was the big one, with TBW & Malibu Cruise standard & the power wedge as an option. There was a GPS speedo that was an option in '05 & of course the change from the 350ci Hammerhead in '04 to the 383ci in '05 (both optional engine packages), but I think that other than those things the differences will be mainly aesthetic (such as SS cupholders & the chrome dash). IIRC, '04 was the last year that they offered a carbereuted model, & '05 was the last year for the LS-1.

I am looking at several different model year Response LXIs, 2004, 2005, 2006. I know the hull hasn't changed until 2007 but does anyone know the changes between model years? I know the 2006 has the new display and Malibu Cruise but I can't seem to find any differences between '04 and '05. Thanks

How come you are not sticking with Nautique? just curious.

How come you are not sticking with Nautique? just curious.

I love my Nautique, it skis awesome, drives and looks great. However, I have 2 young kids and when they get friends on the boat it starts to get really crowded. Although I know I won't use the open bow while skiing, I would like it for those other times. I would consider a 206 but based on price, performance and overall appearance, I like the LXI better.

• 1 month later...

A couple of questions: I'm looking at a loaded 04 RLxi right now that I really like. How big of a deal is a tuneable rudder? How useful is this feature really? Also, are there any realiablility or other issues with the LS-1? Is this a big upgrade over a Monsoon? The boat I am looking at has a Monsoon, but there is an RLxi for a similar price and similar options with the LS-1for sale if I want to drive a couple extra states away.

Edited by jjackkrash

In regards to the tunable rudder... I would consider that something that you may want to set once and then would probably never touch again. However, if you cared that much about tuning the rudder you can always file it by hand. In short, I woudn't by one boat over another just because one had a tunable rudder.

In regards to the engine... I don't have the 2004 option list, but in 2005 the upcharge for the Monsoon was $650 and the upcharge for the LS1 was $5,500, which included SS exhaust tips. So that's a hefty bunch of change right there. If you're a footer and have the option to go to the LS1 you should seriously consider taking the drive. I believe there's been some discussions in the past on this and at wakeboard and slalom speeds there was little difference between the Monsoon and the LS-1. I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Mike

The LS-1 is an aluminum engine, the Monsoon is cast iron so there will be a significant weight difference hence effect on wake characteristics. LS-1 is 350 hp / 365 ft-lbs torque for the crate engine and the Monsoon is close to 330 hp / 380 ft-lbs torque (crate engine specs for 350 HO).

Tuneable rudder is an adjustable block on the rudder that allows you to induce a constant torque on the rudder to improve control through the course.

Thanks for the info.

Does the aluminum block in an aquatic application have any downside from a durability standpoint, as opposed to cast iron? And I am guessing that an aluminum block would have a closed cooling system? I am assuming that the wake would be flatter with less weight in the boat, which is a good thing, and that the weight difference would make up for the lower torque-figures.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

jjack,

The LS1 is an excellent engine. No downside aside from initial cost. Closed cooling, quieter, rated at 375hp by Malibu/Indmar, excellent mid-range (and top end), worth the money for a long term ownership. If you're flipping the boat in less than 4-5 years I'd consider the Monsoon for financial reasons.

Engine is 300 lbs lighter. It makes a 2001 Sunsetter LXi drive and handle like a Response. Any other questions? ;)

Peter

jjack,

The LS1 is an excellent engine. No downside aside from initial cost. Closed cooling, quieter, rated at 375hp by Malibu/Indmar, excellent mid-range (and top end), worth the money for a long term ownership. If you're flipping the boat in less than 4-5 years I'd consider the Monsoon for financial reasons.

Engine is 300 lbs lighter. It makes a 2001 Sunsetter LXi drive and handle like a Response. Any other questions? ;)

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I may need to rethink my purchase target.

jjack,

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I may need to rethink my purchase target.

I have an 06' RLXi and haven't touch the adjustable rudder, I've heard of guys shaving and filing but the boat runs pretty true every time.

The Monsoon is plenty enough motor for me and my big friends. I can have two in the bow and two in the back and I can't tell a whole lot in wake difference at 15 off @32mph or 34mph.

The one complaint I do have on the SV23 hull is when the bow porposes in the lake, it took a little getting use to driving at first. No wonder the new diamond cut sticks out so much higher!

good luck on your decision!

Thanks, DK, for the input.

My last boat was a 91 Ski Brendella, closed bow. The bow pointed straight down towards the water. You could take on 50 gallons (exageration for effect) of water over the bow and over the windshield without blinking an eye if you didn't time the rollers right with the throttle. The newbies used to ask why we didn't unzip our drysuits when we were done with our cold-water sets. They only asked this question once. Not a bad feature if you like entertainment value!

Jack

my family runs a promo deal for the response, so weve had all three of those boats.

weve had the monsoon in all 3 and none of them ever had any difficulty pulling anyone up.

the adjustable rudder is a lot less effort for making the boat ride just right, but most of the time, the rudder barely needed an adjustment. other than that, the biggest change i remember is the switch from xplod speakers to the kickers in 06. all skied almost identically and all look identical except for some minor changes.

color should be your biggest dillema.