Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sacrifical annodes on new Bu

Mike d Wakeboarder

i just bought my new 07 VLX and will be using it in the salt water. i was thinking that it might be a good idea to put some sacficial annodes on it. where would be the best place for them. i was not sure if i should drill into the transom or maybe mount them to the braces for the swim platform. any advice. thanks. :)

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder

First I would install one on the prop shaft just forward of the strut. I would not put one on the rudder yet. There are some pencil type that install in the engine block. Try westmarine.com. Unless you are going to keep the boat in the water the shaft annode should be enough.

I would only put them on if you are leaving it in in the water. when i left mine in, BU recommended the round type directly in the Wedge, if you have one. that will be the first thing to go. I still have one on my wedge (the boat is used 100% in brackish water), but it is on a lift.

If you are using a lot in salt/brakish, consider FWC. The "pencil" anodes actually go inside the heat exchanger, and it is amazing how fast they are code in my boat, so I know the FWC is doing some good.

forgot to add, hopefully you bought a galvanized or aluminum trailer. If not, trade it ASAP. My first BU trailer last 1 year from the salt, 2nd one about 3 years. Now I have an aluminum, WAAAAAAAY better.

forgot to add, hopefully you bought a galvanized or aluminum trailer. If not, trade it ASAP. My first BU trailer last 1 year from the salt, 2nd one about 3 years. Now I have an aluminum, WAAAAAAAY better.

I think you mean you have a galvanized trailer?

nope, aluminum. almost all salt water trailers are aluminum now.

Here is the trailer I have, only the ski boat version:

Magic Tilt Aluminium

nope, aluminum. almost all salt water trailers are aluminum now.

Here is the trailer I have, only the ski boat version:

Magic Tilt Aluminium

yes i do have the magic tilt aluminum trailer. i will be using it in brakish/salt and will be keeping it on a lift. once a year i will take it to a fresh water lake. Biggrin.gif

good, the lift will help loads. you still have to do lots of rinsing, especially things like the seat sliders, hatch lifts, etc. make sure you rinse the engine (in and out) after each use. you still will be replacing exhaust parts (manifolds and risers) way more than fresh water buddies.

here in the north east, its more the salt air with the high humidity that kills these boats.

Sandblast your Wedge and you will have the best sacrificial annode on the market!!! Thumbup.gif

could i sandblast things like the WAKESETTER embloms throughout the boat and on the tower.

So,YOU didn't buy it.....Your dad did Fingerwag.gif

haha yes i did not. Biggrin.gif so i guess it would be better to say i just got a new 07 VLX.

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder