Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Timing indictor on 2000 VLS

Greetings, I am new to this sight.  I just purchased a 2000 Sunsetter VLS w/ a Monsoon 350 with only 240 hours, and I want to do a tune up. I incorrectly assumed that when the dealer went through the boat and did the compression test (which was perfect) that they also checked all the iginition components and fluid levels. My bad, lesson learned! Got the plugs, need to pick up the cap and rotor and I got the jumper plug to reset the timing but there are no degree marks on the timing indicator.  There is one deep V in the center.  I originally thought this must be the correct alignment but reading through some threads, I see that INDMAR, didn't put timing indicator stickers on some years/models.  Does anyone have a picture that shows the indicator and where 10 Degrees before TDC is? I cannot find anything in the INDMAR manual or on the Web.  Thanks in advance!  

A timing indicator decal could be installed on the vibration damper, or a more common method is to use an adjustable timing light set to 10 deg BTDC to check the ignition timing.

My 99 has timing marks etched into the balancer - there's no sticker. They are hard to see if you have a little surface corrosion on it - give it a good clean and look again closely.

thanks for the responses!  I will take a closer look at the balancer and see if I can rent an adjustable timing light.