Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken stub axle

n8urelover

I have a 2009 Response LXI with the factory tandom axle trailer.  I had one of the stub axles break on the way to the boat ramp.  We are trying to replace it, but are having trouble pulling the stub axle.  Anyone have any tips?  (I.e. a two arm puller with thin hooks). We tried using a hub puller, but can’t seem to grab anything with puller. 

42 minutes ago, n8urelover said:

Hmmm.  Happy to post a picture but only see that I can do it with a URL.  How do I get a URL for a picture from my phone?

Post your image to a hosting site, then link it here via the URL.

I like Imgur, but the catch is that you have to "copy URL" from them and then add ".jpg" to the end when you paste it here.

Edit:  The other option is to become a paid member, then you can just upload your photos.  You know you want to!

Edited by justgary
52 minutes ago, n8urelover said:

Hmmm.  Happy to post a picture but only see that I can do it with a URL.  How do I get a URL for a picture from my phone?

Or if you have an android - you should be able to use the Share - create link in Photos

If it were me, I would pound a screwdriver/chisel in the slot from the right side and then use a crowbar behind the arm.

Might also want to heat up the arm and spray some PB blaster.  Just don't cook the shaft too much, don't want a lot of heat travelling to the rubber in the axle tube.

Edited by oldjeep
31 minutes ago, footndale said:

Ok, I'll ask. 
 What exactly broke?  Being a torsion axle, I thought you had to replace the whole thing or weld it.

Good question.  My assumption was that he broke the spindle on the arm.

image.png.1d203bbee089f369190492f354aa4208.png

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, n8urelover said:

Paid!

IMG_1376.jpeg

Based off the angle of that spindle arm to the frame angle, it appears that the arm is sitting unloaded at an unusual attitude. If that arm hasn’t been relocated or walked on that splined axle end, the axle has failed and it needs to be replaced.  If it’s an Extreme trailer you can likely still order an axle through them.  UFP doesn’t show that axle in their catalog now, so I don’t know if you will need a part number for ordering or what. If the hub spindle is damaged and you’re trying to replace that, Oldjeep has shown you what you need. 

Edited by Nick55

It is a tandem axle trailer.  Here is a picture of the front wheel (good one) on that same side.  It’s not as easy to see because the brake drum is in the way, but the angle on the good one looks the same as the one we are trying to replace.  Our problem is getting the stub axle off of the spline.

IMG_1380.jpeg

4 hours ago, n8urelover said:

It is a tandem axle trailer.  Here is a picture of the front wheel (good one) on that same side.  It’s not as easy to see because the brake drum is in the way, but the angle on the good one looks the same as the one we are trying to replace.  Our problem is getting the stub axle off of the spline.

IMG_1380.jpeg

Looks to me like your torsion axle gave out. It happened on my 07 as well 

Edited by Sparky450