Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hour meter

curtisco24

Is the hour meter that is located in the air/water temperature gauge on a 2000 malibu accurate, or does one need to check the computer on the engine?

It's accurate as long as it has never been disconnected. If you're worried about it a dealer can "read" the on-board computer and find out actual hours.

My hour meter on the Lawrance unit is lower than the meter on the tach by 10-15 hrs. I am the second owner and figure that it is because the air/water temp gage was added after the boat was new.

Actually, I didn't think about the hours being inaccurate until after I bought the boat. I think when I take it in for service, I will have them check the computer, and if there is a big discrepency, then I will take recourse against the seller, since I was told those were the actual hours. I would imagine that being dishonest about hours would be very similar to being dishonest about miles on a car. (rolling them back)

I would imagine that being dishonest about hours would be very similar to being dishonest about miles on a car.  (rolling them back)

Absolutely. It's a misrepresentation of the vehicle being purchased.

If anything, the meter can easily read higher than the actual hours on the engine. That was the case on the boat I sold. It was offby more than 100 hours over (higher than) the computer reading becuase of the silly ignition switch... if you turned it one notch too far which the previous owner, my wife, my friends and I did frequently, it would continue to tick (you could actually sit there and watch it move with the engine OFF) Mad.gif....

This has been fixed on newer boats (actually I think it is tied to RPM now and doens't count hours under 1000 RPM)...

A dealer can easily check the hours via the computer though.

JZ

This has been fixed on newer boats (actually I think it is tied to RPM now and doens't count hours under 1000 RPM)...

FYI. My manual says 300 RPMs. So, anytime you have the engine running (even idling in neutral), it's counting hours.

Malibu tech support told me it was 600 RPM. The ECM is the real number you need to look at. What's the Lawrence gauge hooked up to? Isn't that hooked to the ECM?

Whenever you have more than one device measuring your hours (motor, Perfect Pass, Lowrance gauge), you are going to slowly overtime come up with different readings. They all have their quirks on how they measure. But over time the differences won't be all that much. The point is to give you an accurate IDEA of how much the boat has been used.

If however, one of those devices has been swapped out or replaced, the hours will start back to zero on that device (PP will allow you to set start hours when installing). You could have an unscrupulous boat owner tell you that those are the actual hours. Only reading the motor ECM can tell you the real number.

Ok, somebody tell me about the hour meter on my LSV,,,,I actually think it is higher than it should be, but I have been using it as a guide to change the oil, which now is about every six weeks...........man boat maintenance is for ever.

I get the feeling any time the switch is "on", even just to listen to the radio it is ticking.................is there another hour meter in the PP that would be acurate?

Malibu tech support told me it was 600 RPM.  The ECM is the real number you need to look at.  What's the Lawrence gauge hooked up to?  Isn't that hooked to the ECM?

The Lowrance gauge reads off the tach signal line under the dash. I do not know where that signal originates. I do know the Lowrance gauge can go bad and require replacement, mine died at 35 hours.