Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 Malibu 24 MXZ Tracking fin & hardware

Recently had an incident where I was travelling at idle speed and hit a rock that ripped off one of the tracking fins that left a hole in the hull about the diameter of one of the screws and then shifted back on to the same rock damaging the prop. I can find the Gorilla Fin no problem, but I am trying to locate the correct hardware. The person doing the repair thought they were countersinking screws that had move the fuel tank to get to, but I don't think they are. They appear to be screwed directly into the fiberglass. 

Other item the boat does have a pretty good vibration. Would or could that be from the bent prop or should I be concearned about bigger problems? I know I will have fiberglass, fin, prop repairs, but I didn't know if someone from experience could shed some light on this. 

What lake are you on?    Yes, bent prop will cause lots of vibration as the prop isn't balanced anymore.    The shaft or strut log could be bent/damaged as well.   

@dizzygti On Lake Oconee. I know the prop is done for, but I am going to replace it with a new one and get the damaged prop remanufactured to have a backup. The strut seems to be good, but a lot of folks that are more knowledgeable than me will look at that and tell me I am SOL. I was literally not moving when it came off the tracking fin and floated/shifted back onto the rock I attached some pictures for reference. It sucks, but at least it didn't sink the boat! Bilge kept up with the incoming water pretty good. 

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Oh man, sorry to see this happen to you.  The Malibu parts page says "Please note, this fin does not include hardware. This is because a variety of hardware could've been used depending on the boat it was installed on."

I would think these would be thru-bolted vs screwed in, but as I think about it, screwed it would make some sense....you want it to break off when hitting an immovable object, vs being thru-bolted and ripping a hole in the hull.  As for the vibration, I'd start with the prop and see how it runs before trying to replace the strut, etc.  

Good luck!

Ouch, that's rough.  You'd be surprised what can be repaired on props, I bet that one can be fixed.     However, you had to be doing more than idle speed to rip off the fin like that.    Regardless, damage is done now.   I too would think they were screwed right into the hull, not bolted through.    On another note, what would happen if you didn't reinstall the fin and just fixed the holes?   I always wondered how much these actually do anything....lots of boats don't have tracking fins.   Are they more for wakeboading when a rider will really pull the boat over to one side when he swings out wide to load up for a jump?   

I’m pretty sure the tracking fin is just screwed on where as the strut is thru bolted. Just use stainless counter sunk hardware matching the size of the holes on the fin and 3m 5200. 

For the prop that can easily be repaired by a shop but also always good to have an extra. Once you pull the prop off you will be able to look at the strut dead on and make sure it’s straight. 

Edited by Cole2001

@dizzygti yep it was only at idle speed so around 3MPH. I thought the same thing, but I guess when around 7000#'s with people and the boat is partially floating and only sitting on that one fin and me and a friend standing on the rock I hit, to shifting it back and forth to get it off probably caused it to pop off. Hell I might go dive back down there to try to find the fin out of spite! Once it's out of the water and I get a report I will let the group know the outcome. 

I wondered the same thing about only having one fin. If the fiberglass work was going to take months, I will probably tell them to fix the prop issue then I will mess with the fiberglass work in the offseason. 

6 hours ago, JCLigon said:

@dizzygti yep it was only at idle speed so around 3MPH. I thought the same thing, but I guess when around 7000#'s with people and the boat is partially floating and only sitting on that one fin and me and a friend standing on the rock I hit, to shifting it back and forth to get it off probably caused it to pop off. Hell I might go dive back down there to try to find the fin out of spite!

Wait, you were rocking the boat side to side to free it while it was sitting on the fin on a rock?