Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23 LSV Mobile Device Gateway replacement

Lakemurrayskier

I've been reading through a few posts about the Mobile Device Gateway replacement and have a few questions.  My bluetooth was working fine until I had a CANBus issue last year. That turned out to be a bad depth finder, but ever since then my Bluetooth hasn't worked.  I'm curious if I can unplug the Mobile Device Gateway (without causing any Canbus issues) and connect something like the JL Audio MBT-RX (Or any other recommended BT adapter)?  If so, what is the best location to pull power from and does the new Bluetooth adapter plug into one of the AMP's or somehow over to the Rockford Fosgate RFX-MR5BB?  I'm just not exactly sure how it would be wired so that the Rockford Fosgate RFX-MR5BB will recognize it as the Bluetooth Source?  Any help is appreciated.  Below is a link to a picture of my existing AMP and MDG layout.  

Also - Any idea what the Rockford Fosgate 7050-17003-01 REV B does that is above the 1st AMP in this picture?

Picture of wiring and Amps

Thanks

Ryan

I had the same boat as you and ran both the Exile (failed on me after a couple seasons) and then Wetsounds zone controllers.  I liked the Wetsounds zone controller better.  Below is the link.  Installation took a bit of time, but I was highly particular in making the cables run clean between the helm and amp board.

https://shop.wetsounds.com/WS-420-BT/

2 hours ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

Thanks DAI - That looks sweet but may be a bit past my audio wiring knowledge to tackle an install like that. 

If you can install the JL Audio MBT-RX, you can install that Wetsounds controller.  It’s basically the same, except you’ll also be running new RCA cables (the red and white plugs on each amp) to the new controller.  You can also use the RCA outputs from the Rockford head unit to the WS-420 controller for radio functions.  There’s a channel from one side of the boat to the other that allows that to be done, and you can do it easily if you are at least a little handy with hand tools.

19 hours ago, DAI said:

I had the same boat as you and ran both the Exile (failed on me after a couple seasons) and then Wetsounds zone controllers.  I liked the Wetsounds zone controller better.  Below is the link.  Installation took a bit of time, but I was highly particular in making the cables run clean between the helm and amp board.

https://shop.wetsounds.com/WS-420-BT/

DAI - Did you pull power off of the existing Mobile Device Gateway?  And if so, does messing with it not screw up anything with the CANbus network?  

It’s been quite a few years since I did the install, but if memory serves me correctly I tied the power for the zone controller into an amp.  There have been a couple threads on the site for the install that could provide guidance.  It wasn’t hard doing the actual wiring, just time consuming running the wires.