Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zero off speed control

lakewaterjunky

I spoke with someone at Zero off today and he confirmed that the NONE GPS model speed control (they will have available in a couple weeks), has both RPM and paddle wheel sensing to please the slalom skier and wakeboarder . The awesome part is that this unit can be bought for less than $700 with either the 3.5" or the 5" display! Yahoo.gif So far as I can tell, this unit is comparable to the PP wakeboard pro which costs at least $300 more. Clap.gif

Check it outgood deal Thumbup.gif

You can register for info/newsletter here> newsletter

Looks pretty neat. I have no form of speed control on my Bu as of now. Been tinkering with the idea of PP, but I might like this even more…

Although it seems like the Non-GPS units are under $700. The GPS guided units seem to start around $1,300.

EDIT:

never mind - that’s what you said originally.

Edited by chadwick02
Looks pretty neat. I have no form of speed control on my Bu as of now. Been tinkering with the idea of PP, but I might like this even more…

We have different boats, but we're in the same boat... I just wonder how sensitive and corrective it is. PP has been at that game for years and they still haven't gotten it totally right.

EDIT: After briefly researching further, it only works with TBW. Won't work on Malibus before '05. :(

Edited by UWSkier

Also wondering how it can use GPS to adjust for speed, measure correct tracking, etc. They make a lot of wild claims on that website...

GPS is only accurate to within a few feet. How can you use it for record verification and measuring boat path deviation?

I was real intrigued by their ad & the fact that it has been used in a ski tournament, as this assumably means it is accurate. I was looking for a replacement for my "Aggravating Accuski", which was enjoyable to use when it was working properly - better than PP in my opinion, but the downside was that it only worked properly about 25% of the time ;)Ranting.gif

I emailed them for info 4-5 times through the winter with no response, so I finally called them last month but was told the have no retrofit units developed at this time. They swear that it is accurate, that being in a lake with high rock walls is no problem for the satelite tracking, etc. - but of course - they are selling the product.

I received my new Perfect Pass yesterday, so that problem is solved.

By the way, I have a gently used Accuski setup for sale, works great, only used on Sundays, Tease.gif

We have different boats, but we're in the same boat... I just wonder how sensitive and corrective it is. PP has been at that game for years and they still haven't gotten it totally right.

EDIT: After briefly researching further, it only works with TBW. Won't work on Malibus before '05. :(

When I called the 800 number on the websight, I spoke with a nice informative man by the name of Jeremy at Zero off who told me of the compatability. After inquiring about the RPM based and paddle wheel use, I then told him we were a family of recreational through advanced skiers and wakeboarders. At that time I clearly asked the straight forward question " Will your NONE GPS speed control system work with our 2002 Malibu Sunsetter?" He said yes without hesitation.

As for function and correct sensitivity, since Andy Mapple has his hands in it, it doesn't seem to me that he would allow anything besides good quality.. Radar skis turned out pretty darn good.

The guy I spoke with stated that it has been exciting, with Andy and others developing the systems.

Here's something the wakeboarders should like; When I asked if GPS type system worked allright at the lower speeds for boarding, the kind fellow at Zero off also said he was a wakeboarder and that the system was originally designed FOR WAKEBOARDING. That may make someone smile. :)

I love a good deal, hope it pans out well.

At that time I clearly asked the straight forward question " Will your NONE GPS speed control system work with our 2002 Malibu Sunsetter?" He said yes without hesitation.

Absolutely every account I've heard of this so far is that they do not have a retro-fit kit (a.k.a. servo) available for non-TBW boats yet. It would certainly make better business sense for them to offer a retro-kit given the larger potential customer base they would have.

Mike

At that time I clearly asked the straight forward question " Will your NONE GPS speed control system work with our 2002 Malibu Sunsetter?" He said yes without hesitation.

Absolutely every account I've heard of this so far is that they do not have a retro-fit kit (a.k.a. servo) available for non-TBW boats yet. It would certainly make better business sense for them to offer a retro-kit given the larger potential customer base they would have.

Mike

Ed from EZ-Slalom said it only works for TBW. I trust him as much as anyone I've ever dealt with in this industry...

Edited by UWSkier
Their unit for $690 is only RPM based, just like Perfect Pass Cruise but a little more expensive and less well known (not tried and proven.)

The Zero off (none GPS) cruise series uses both RPM and paddle wheel speed according to the guy on the other end of the phone at Zero Off.

{Absolutely every account I've heard of this so far is that they do not have a retro-fit kit (a.k.a. servo) available for non-TBW boats yet. It would certainly make better business sense for them to offer a retro-kit given the larger potential customer base they would have.}

Mike

(sorry I couldn't figure out how to paste more than one quote properly)

The GPS based system (example-Elite series) by zero off that is (or will) only be availible is only for drive by wire boats at this time, they are working on wiring harnesses and adaptation for the common boat to use this system in the future. I spoke with them for the second time today and it was clarified that the RPM based/paddle wheel system they have (called the Cruise series) IS for use in a none DBW(or regular)boat.

I spoke with them for the second time today and it was clarified that the RPM based/paddle wheel system they have (called the Cruise series) IS for use in a none DBW(or regular)boat.

When I looked at their website again, it does say its not satelite, but rpm, paddlewheel based, and if they told you it was for cabled throttles, than it must be, but why, I wonder, when I spoke with them on the phone and told them I had a 2000 Indmar Monsoon, did they say " Sorry, we can't do anything for you at this time" ?

Hope the guy I talked with knows what he's say'n. It would be a bummer to find out otherwise. I signed up for the newsletter so maybe they will release more info soon and notify when the system can be purchased.

Their unit for $690 is only RPM based, just like Perfect Pass Cruise but a little more expensive and less well known (not tried and proven.)

The Zero off (none GPS) cruise series uses both RPM and paddle wheel speed according to the guy on the other end of the phone at Zero Off.

If thats the case, then that makes it a very good deal $$$ wise compared to perfect pass WBPro (minus the cool personalized features)