Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 Sunscape LSV 21' handrail size and strength?

SkipGundlach

SkipGundlach
Posted (edited)

In every previous ski boat I've  owned  save the Supreme, which had no newbies behind it, ever, I've fabricated a learner bar.

None had a rock-solid point as do inboard ski boats for mounting, and have no tower to use that sort of rig.

In my last non-inboard, I used the handrail and a PVC saddle clamp to hold the straight bar , a 45 near the end to come back to the hull, a tee and ells with two luggage-box wide rubber cups to make  a double-strong/soft against-the-hull brace, a large washer at the ell and end, with a cap,  for the handle line, a stress line and base-stabilization linee to the bow hook, and another don't-bounce-forward line to the stern cleat (I'd use the tow post here), if you can picture that...

The handrails on the Sunscape extend only in the bow area, and I'd want to assure as much strength as possible for the inbound pressure; does anyone have a clue as to what shear strength the 45 downslope end of the rail has?  And for that matter, as I'm not currently at the boat, the handrail size?  I'm guessing, based on yesterday's run at trying to get a kid up on skis,  1", but it might be 3/4"...

Sorry for the weird stuff; there's no 'standard' way I know of to accomplish  this...  

L8R

Skip,  with herds of newbies to instruct

Edited by SkipGundlach
more stuff
On 7/4/2024 at 5:20 AM, SkipGundlach said:

there's no 'standard' way I know of to accomplish  this...

Barefoot International manufactures a variety of booms that are easy to put on and remove and are nearly indestructible.  The V-Drive version should work well in your boat.  Occasionally you can find them on the used market.  You probably want one extension (B110) and maybe the height adjustment bracket (B107) as well.

https://www.barefootinternational.com/products/booms-deluxe-quad-vdrive-boom

15 minutes ago, justgary said:

Barefoot International manufactures a variety of booms that are easy to put on and remove and are nearly indestructible.  The V-Drive version should work well in your boat.  Occasionally you can find them on the used market.  You probably want one extension (B110) and maybe the height adjustment bracket (B107) as well.

https://www.barefootinternational.com/products/booms-deluxe-quad-vdrive-boom

The boat actually came with a Skylon, the equivalent of the above.

However, I'm referring to a barefoot boom equivalent;  I've fabricated something for all of my prior boats which is the rough equivalent, so that I can speak to the student as we go.

Unfortunately for my purposes, I learned as I was holding it to keep the  boat off the neighbor's  dock during our failure-to-restart adventure, the cross-section of the handrail isn't round but on the same profile as the "Malibu" center of the steering wheel - which is  to say a very flat ovoid.  I'll have to figure out something different than my expected PVC saddle-tap-clip-on for that point.

Too many things on the table as we finish moving in, so that's taking second-fiddle status at the moment...

But thanks for the thought.

3 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

The boat actually came with a Skylon, the equivalent of the above.

However, I'm referring to a barefoot boom equivalent;

I'm confused.  You have a barefoot boom and want a barefoot boom?  The link I posted is a barefoot boom....

Maybe you have a Fly-High pylon extension.

8 minutes ago, justgary said:

I'm confused.  You have a barefoot boom and want a barefoot boom?  The link I posted is a barefoot boom....

Maybe you have a Fly-High pylon extension.

Yah, you're entirely correct.  I saw the label  and the long straight part and mistook it for a fly-high.

The owner (I'm just the driver and mechanic) wouldn't want to spend that much, and I'd not want the student that far aft (preferring to keep my focus forward or merely a glance aside).

Thanks for the thought, however; if one came up for a couple of franklins, he might consider that :)

42 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

Yah, you're entirely correct.  I saw the label  and the long straight part and mistook it for a fly-high.

The owner (I'm just the driver and mechanic) wouldn't want to spend that much, and I'd not want the student that far aft (preferring to keep my focus forward or merely a glance aside).

Thanks for the thought, however; if one came up for a couple of franklins, he might consider that :)

I too had to choke on the price, but it and Perfect Pass have been two of the best parts of the boat after I added them.  Resale pricing on BI booms remains high due to the fact that they are built like tanks.  I bet I could sell mine for more than I paid for it.

18 hours ago, oldjeep said:

You are using a pylon extension on a V-drive pylon?  That seems like a recipe for a nasty failure.

Or do you have one with solid bars and mounts for the rear corners of boat?

The PO did, apparently for years; it doesn't have the rear legs, and the instruction manual sez to not exceed 45 ° to  the side - but we've yet  to try it.