Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 RAM 1500 (Big Horn) trailer hitch

TonkaProud

TonkaProud
Posted (edited)

Hey all, I have a 2019 RAM 1500 (new body) pulling a 2018 T22; right now, I'm using the standard Curt "no drop" receiver hitch inverted; so, about a 2" rise.  My trailer seems to be tongue heavy.  Anyone with a RAM 1500, what rise hitch are you using?

Edited by TonkaProud

I used the rapid hitch which was adjustable and parked level and adjusted to the best level setting.  Can't recall anymore what it was as I sold the truck 3urs ago now.  That said it's a good method and matches your boat/suspension /tire choice/loading which is to say it won't necessarily be the same as someone else's 

Posted (edited)

I'd be pretty surprised if you needed a rise on a Ram 1500.  

A twin axle trailer "wants" to be level.  So if your hitch is too high and you have a heavy trailer, it'll squash the suspension until the trailer is level. 

Edited by oldjeep
15 hours ago, TonkaProud said:

Hey all, I have a 2019 RAM 1500 (new body) pulling a 2018 T22; right now, I'm using the standard Curt "no drop" receiver hitch inverted; so, about a 2" rise.  My trailer seems to be tongue heavy.  Anyone with a RAM 1500, what rise hitch are you using?

FWIW - I'm nearby and have an adjustable rapid hitch you might be able to try,  if the pins still want to come out of it ;)  Hasn't been off the truck in 6 years

33 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

FWIW - I'm nearby and have an adjustable rapid hitch you might be able to try,  if the pins still want to come out of it ;)  Hasn't been off the truck in 6 years

Good luck with that (seriously) needed to adjust mine on the new boat and had to cut the neck off the adjustment pin with a Sawzall after the torch didn't work (the directions are on their website) then bought a new pin set.  Still 40 is a lot better than buying a new hitch.  They said they've improved materials in the last few years to make this less of an issue but still recommend annual removal and lubricating to prevent.

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'd be pretty surprised if you needed a rise on a Ram 1500.  

A twin axle trailer "wants" to be level.  So if your hitch is too high and you have a heavy trailer, it'll squash the suspension until the trailer is level. 

I felt like my truck wanted a 1" drop with the axis over his 2" rise setting and I thimk you are on to something he e.

1 minute ago, MustGoFast said:

I felt like my truck wanted a 1" drop with the axis over his 2" rise setting and I thimk you are on to something he e.

Yeah, mine is a 2018 - so different Gen.  But I am at an inch or 2 drop.

3 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

Good luck with that (seriously) needed to adjust mine on the new boat and had to cut the neck off the adjustment pin with a Sawzall after the torch didn't work (the directions are on their website) then bought a new pin set.  Still 40 is a lot better than buying a new hitch.  They said they've improved materials in the last few years to make this less of an issue but still recommend annual removal and lubricating to prevent.

My issue the last time I moved it to a different truck (in 2018) was that the hitch pin was actually seized.  It had been in that truck since 2009 ;)

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, mine is a 2018 - so different Gen.  But I am at an inch or 2 drop.

I'm with you though I doubt they made the truck lower.

Posted (edited)

FWIW - I went out and looked. No way either of those pins are gonna come out without fire ;).  The hitch is 13 years old, so maybe next time I buy a truck I'll just get a new one.   But basically the top of my ball is about even with the top of the receiver slot.  Also @TonkaProud - if you are buying stuff like Curt drawbars and 2" balls- make sure they are rated for the load.  There is a lot of crap out there that is only rated for 5-6K and they all fit in the same slot.

image.thumb.png.70a421a35645d0ae00142d21f26ffd51.png

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV

All of the new trucks have less rake because the grocery getters didn’t like the rake. So there’s a really good chance that you need a no drop or a slight rise.

1 hour ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

All of the new trucks have less rake because the grocery getters didn’t like the rake. So there’s a really good chance that you need a no drop or a slight rise.

That would be a pretty un-Ram thing to do ;)  But a measurement is probably useful

IMG_20240702_090802_HDR.jpg

Most new triple axles with 18’s sit about 21 inches and tandems about 19-20. Most half tons I’ve seen are running a hitch in the rise position. 

For hitches my choice would be weigh safe 180. Mine has held up for years and looks great, no rust. 

From my understanding it’s not about 1/2 ton, suv or mom’s car. It’s about towing with equal pressure on all axles. Height of hitch should be determined on maintaining trailer parallel with the road. Ask any of the guys with broken torsion axles if their trailer was parallel and they probably didn’t know.

I think pretty much anytime you have more than one axle on a trailer you want it level.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 6:08 PM, jjackkrash said:

I think pretty much anytime you have more than one axle on a trailer you want it level.  

Yeah, and any heavy multi axle trailer will "self level" a half ton, which is why you really need to pay attention to suspension height on truck when picking your ball height 

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

So if they “self level” how do you determine appropriate hitch height?

You need to find the position where lowering the hitch starts making the tongue drop.  Up until that point, most trucks will squat to make trailer level, even though the hitch is too high.

For a Ram 1500 and a fixed 6-7k load, I set the ball 2 inches higher than where the trailer sitting on its own looks level .  I set it the same for a car trailer, but adjust the load position.  For trucks with squishy suspensions might need to go higher.  I don't pay any attention to tongue weight on fixed loads (boats) - not much you can do about it. If you have levelled a half ton, you already screwed everything up.

Edited by oldjeep
23 hours ago, RyanB said:

So if they “self level” how do you determine appropriate hitch height?

Maybe by the way the dodge ram headlights are pointing?