Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 LSV Engine?

CaribbeanCruiser

CaribbeanCruiser

I am looking at a cpl 247 LSVs in the year range of 2006-2008 and I am seeing the engines that come with them are the 340 Monsoon, 383 Hammerhead, and the 8.1.  I am upgrading my 23 LSV and it has the 340 Monsoon.  I  feel that my 23 LSV is a little sluggish out of the hole, so adding more boat to that engine seems like a bad idea.  Is the 383 Hammerhead enough for the 247?  O should I go with the 8.1 for the 247 LSV?

dizzygti
Posted (edited)

The engines are all likely fine, but with the wrong prop for the usage case, you will have the results you have: not enough hole shot.   I don't have experience with any of those engines but don't neglect the prop specs.  

Edited by dizzygti
  • Like 1
Nick55

What Dizzy said is the real main performance impact.  @EchelonMike this guy just replaced his 247 and has some good experience with it.  @DRB10SEVEN has one presently as well.  I looked at some 247s before I bought a 23, and most I looked at had the LS3.  I didn’t need the 247, but that’s what I was shopping for and only picked a 23 because it was extremely clean and very close by.  

• Like 1
DRB10SEVEN

Like @Nick55 said, I have a 2008 247 with the Hammerhead 383. I run a 2249 prop and can surf with 4000lbs of ballast, wedge down, with 8 crew in the boat at 3300rpm. (with Go Surf Assist) Before GSA I ran a 2315 with similar RPM's and a suction gate on the side of the boat.

I think if it were up to me I would say either the 383 or the 8.1 are good options for the 247. I think the Monsoon could be fine if propped aggressively enough, but your top speed will be limited to around 30mph if you want to surf heavy with that engine.

Posted (edited)

Profile says UT.  What elevation do you boat at?  If you're over 3000 feet and plan on surfing heavy with a shaper, I'd go for the 8.1, all else being equal.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1

I agree with all the above comments...prop and elevation are big factors, plus how you use the boat.  With our 247, we primarily cruised, wakeboarded, skied and did some occasional surfing.  Therefore, I went with the 2277 on my boat and kept the stock 537 as a spare.  Our boat had the Hammerhead.  I don't think I've seen a 247 with the regular 340...they've all been Hammerhead or 8.1L in this age range.  The 2008 is my favorite (I am biased) because I love the XS tower.

I loved the Hammerhead.  Aluminum heads, sounds like my Mustang, LOL.  With the 2277 it came within a few tenths of touching 50 MPH at WOT.  Very efficient cruise, still strong hole shot for boarding and skiing.  If you want to primarily surf with weight, you'd probably be better with the 2249 prop vs the 2277.  

I always think the biggest engine is the best engine so an 8.1L would be great, but the Hammerhead is no slouch and you won't wish for the 8.1L in my experience.

Good luck!

CaribbeanCruiser
6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Profile says UT.  What elevation do you boat at?  If you're over 3000 feet and plan on surfing heavy with a shaper, I'd go for the 8.1, all else being equal.

The majority of my boating will be around 4300 ft.  Occasionally up around 6500 and even more rare, down to 3400-3500 ft.

CaribbeanCruiser
8 hours ago, DRB10SEVEN said:

Like @Nick55 said, I have a 2008 247 with the Hammerhead 383. I run a 2249 prop and can surf with 4000lbs of ballast, wedge down, with 8 crew in the boat at 3300rpm. (with Go Surf Assist) Before GSA I ran a 2315 with similar RPM's and a suction gate on the side of the boat.

I think if it were up to me I would say either the 383 or the 8.1 are good options for the 247. I think the Monsoon could be fine if propped aggressively enough, but your top speed will be limited to around 30mph if you want to surf heavy with that engine.

What elevation are you typically at?  I want to surf, but still want to pull the kids on the tube, plus still want to cruise down at Lake Powell.  My 23 LSV can get up to 50 mph, which is needed down there, so I don't want to prop the 383 enough to lose a lot on the top end.  

DRB10SEVEN
5 hours ago, CaribbeanCruiser said:

What elevation are you typically at?  I want to surf, but still want to pull the kids on the tube, plus still want to cruise down at Lake Powell.  My 23 LSV can get up to 50 mph, which is needed down there, so I don't want to prop the 383 enough to lose a lot on the top end.  

Most of my boating is at 700-900' of elevation. With the 2249 prop I typically cruise at 28-30mph at 3800-4000rpm. Top speed is under 40mph, but we always have a big crew in the boat.

Great points made about the elevation, I also would be leaning towards the 8.1 for your use case combined with the elevation you are at.

13 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

2008 is my favorite (I am biased) because I love the XS tower.

Agreed, I think 2008 23 and 247 LSV's are some of the best looking wake boats of all time.

• Like 2