Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

biggest problems areas

mtodd

Just curious as to what problems most people have had? I have had a 2000 SS LXI since it was new and just ordered a new 23 XTI WS. My 2000 had a couple of electrical issues (bad crimps), just curious what others had run into.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RTS

• WakeGirl

• krock

• Greg_S

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had three Malibu's, 1996 Tantrum, 2000 Sunsetter VLX and 2005 Response Lxi. The only problem I ever had with any of them was a failed neutral safety switch on the 2000 VLX. It was repaired under warranty with no further problem. That is why I am on my 3rd Malibu.

~ Stress cracks in the gel around the tower mounts

~ Perfect Pass on the last boat never working as well as it should in speed mode due to bad mounting locations of thru-hulls in relation to the paddlewheel

If that's the worst that I get, then I'll take it.

The muffler but I bout the boat knowing that it needed to be replaced.

I also have the issues with the neutral safety switch.

Oh I also forgot to mention the amount of fun that is had on the boat is a problem in the eyes of the cfo. The fun leads to most of the projects around the house not getting done as all of my spare time is out at the lake 7 months a year

Edited by danadog

Finding places to stash more weight, lol. The nuetral switch has been an issue for me too. When I cleaned it up last time I took some wires and created a plug connection to override the switch just in case I start having issues in the future.

Finding places to stash more weight, lol. The nuetral switch has been an issue for me too. When I cleaned it up last time I took some wires and created a plug connection to override the switch just in case I start having issues in the future.

1st Malibu: I had to replace the high pressure fuel pump due to it leaking (found this when running it in the driveway before first run of the year). Covered by warranty

2nd Malibu: I had to replace the steering cable (this is somewhat common).

2 malibus, 10 years of ownership, 2 issues - only 1 that I had to pay for. That's why I'm shopping for my 3rd now.

I did have a fuel problem with both boats, I would put gas in on the way to the lake, and it was always gone at the end of the day.

The factory connections under the dash has been a problem a couple times. Caused my PP and gauges to go wacky on me a few times.

Other than that, the biggest issue I've had is keeping the Bu clean. Cleaning the boat has to be 3rd on the list of where I spend the most time.

1. Driving the boat

2. Behind the boat

3. Cleaning the boat

Guess I just need to make more money so I can pay someone to keep her clean.

Bad grounds on oil pressure sending unit.

Bad ground on temp gauge.

Bad ground causing the entire gauge cluster to freeze.

Frozen speedometer repeatedly...

The gauges in the '01s were crippled by horrible electrical engineering. Too bad too. The boat has been flawless other than that (and the useless gas gauge).

underwater obstructions

Mad.gif

oops...you said ON my boat. Mine has been perfect from day one. I've only replaced the impeller and the oil & gas.

Edited by gooddog

-JBL HU had to be fixed - under warranty

-Wire harness from engine to Gage cluster had to be re-enlarged to stop the beeping for oil and depth- no cost to me

-stress cracks around the swim platform- under warranty

-wires to JBL HU were crimped improperly

-replaced steering cacble this year

-ACC switch to turn power on/off the stereo leaks if the 12V is left on to power the led inside the switch

I figure it's all training stuff for now when the boat is out of warranty so I'm not too hard on Malibu for it....

The boat has provided 250 hours of great fun and some record scores.....

Heater, fan froze up.

Seat Heater had to be replaced.

Stereo had to be replaced.

Gelcoat cracks around the ski platform connectors.

Windshield a bit loose.

Leads on aft light receptacle broke off (kinda our fault kinda a bad design)

But that is about it. Other than the gelcoat cracks (being repaired over the next few weeks) all pretty minor.

neutral switch,

rudder came loose and almost fell out while on the river, and...

the upholstery just doesn't seem to be built to last over 20-years in the fun & sun

neutral switch,

rudder came loose and almost fell out while on the river, and...

the upholstery just doesn't seem to be built to last over 20-years in the fun & sun

I don't know that I've seen any boat's interior that gets used with any kind of regularity that does.

Tower lights. I've had to re wire/fix the wiring on 2/2 boats that have come with them. The SAN would just blow a fuse, but the VLX would blow the ignition breaker. (Thus the boat would shut off.)

I guess the stereo shop decided the best place to grab a positive source was from splicing into the ignition wire. Crazy.gif Rewired it to it's own breaker and it seems happy now.

The SAN had the wires to the docking lights pinched between the mounting plate for the tower and the hull. It was somehow running current through the tower and causing the fuse to blow.

The muffler but I bout the boat knowing that it needed to be replaced.

I also have the issues with the neutral safety switch.

Oh I also forgot to mention the amount of fun that is had on the boat is a problem in the eyes of the cfo. The fun leads to most of the projects around the house not getting done as all of my spare time is out at the lake 7 months a year

No Issues thus far on mine, except I can't seem to stop spending money on it, but I do not have a neutral safety switch... I thought that it was just on newer boats.... Dontknow.gif

No Issues thus far on mine, except I can't seem to stop spending money on it, but I do not have a neutral safety switch... I thought that it was just on newer boats.... Dontknow.gif

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure you have neutral safty switch located on the tranny drivers side.

well i picked my new 07 VLX up 2 days ago and already the tower light do not work correct. the breaker for them kicks after they are on for about 30 secs. but i will take it to the dealer in a wekk or 2 and get it fixed.

computron,

throttle position censor

gell cracking

stearing getting tight

-hopefully this year is a little better- not bad I guess for 12 years old

Edited by sauer

Since I bought it 4 1/2 years ago:

- Original JVC Stereo & remote...replaced w/Sony by Malibu after some squabbling

- Trailer brake actuator...replaced by Boatmate

- Fuel Pump (twice)...one on Malibu, one on me

- Engine Box mounting screws kept pulling loose...repaired this year by Malibu

- Factory cover ripped in a few places...fixed under warranty

- Steering cable froze up...replaced by Malibu

- Fuel Guage...fixed myself last year

- 3-4 trips to dealer when I first got the boat to address various "bugs" (lights, horn, blower, etc)...all under warranty

Other than regular maintenence items, I've had to come out of pocket very little on this boat. I'm most pleased with it. I'd buy another one...if they still made it :(

Outside of some scum bag thieving my stereo equipment and some dumb a** sideswiping my Bu on the freeway, my only problem with my boat is that the fuel gauge sucks! At full it reads 3/4 and when I hit empty, I have to lift up the center door to see how much gas I have left.

Unfixable by my dealer.

... my only problem with my boat is that the fuel gauge sucks! At full it reads 3/4 and when I hit empty, I have to lift up the center door to see how much gas I have left.

Unfixable by my dealer.

If you can get to the top of your tank (where the sending unit is) this is such an easy and inexpensive fix to make yourself. I can't tell you what a difference it made to have an accurate fuel guage.

There's an article in the tech/DIY section on this site that will tell you how to fix this problem