Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dampner Plate Upgrade for an 07 23 LSV 5.7L 340HP Monsoon

Fixing to R^2 engine in my BU. Want to upgrade the damper/flex plate. Read a post where one replaced their 05 23 LSV with same motor with one that looks like the one attached. Found one like this. Vendor contacted Indmar and PCM and they said that this one would not work on mine. That only damper plate that will work of course is the stock OEM one.

Has anyone upgraded their damper plate with one like the one in the attached picture. If so would you mind sharing brand, PN, source? Also, if not one that is like the one attached, is there another aftermarket damper plate that is an upgrade over the stock one?

Thanks.

Blue 

Can't find where to attach a pic. Below is link to the dampner plate in question:

https://www.myinboardmarine.com/products/damper-plate-standard-centa-plate-oem-r140019?_pos=6&_sid=d8277cfd8&_ss=r

It's been debated plenty of times here on the crew, there is no real need for the Heavy Duty version.  Plenty of threads and posts on the topic but the majority of the issues were a bad casting on the bell housing mainly affecting the 2004-2006 boats.  Not saying that boats outside of that era have had damper plates fail but it's more of and oddity than guarantee.  Everything mechanical can and will break at some point.  I would just replace with the one that @justgary linked while you are replacing the engine.  

• Like 2

I have  the ZF Hurth 45 IV, PN-3311003006

Not sure exactly which damper he was referring to. I was thinking he was referring to Indmar PN 885203. But he may have been talking about the PCM. Probably the same damper plate.

2 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

I would just replace with the one that @justgary linked while you are replacing the engine.  

Excuse me Chief, don't take this the wrong way. You just may have not recognized that your reply added no value to the question I asked in my post.

"Want to upgrade the damper/flex plate."  I did not ask what you would do. This is my BU.

Others wanting to upgrade damper plate that run across this post may get some valuable information on what options are out there. 

Just saying...

Blue

50 minutes ago, Blueforester said:

Excuse me Chief, don't take this the wrong way. You just may have not recognized that your reply added no value to the question I asked in my post.

"Want to upgrade the damper/flex plate."  I did not ask what you would do. This is my BU.

Others wanting to upgrade damper plate that run across this post may get some valuable information on what options are out there. 

Just saying...

Blue

Wow.  No reason to cop an attitude when someone is trying to help you.  He did start that reply with:

3 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

It's been debated plenty of times here on the crew, there is no real need for the Heavy Duty version.

And by the way, the URL I posted clearly says PCM.

1 hour ago, Blueforester said:

Just saying...

Blue

Good luck with your BU.

Sorry guys. No attitude intended. Just pointing out. I often forget generations now are more sensitive. I should have not been so blunt.

I started my post "Read a post where one replaced their 05 23 LSV with same motor with one that looks like the one attached. "

I spent some time here reading on this topic. Thus, asked a question about the post of above and if any others have done it. I was not debating this topic. Or asking for opinions on what one would do with theirs. 

I just asked a question about damper plate "Upgrade."  No slam intended. I welcome any information blk93jeepzj has on damper plate upgrade options.

I guess it's hard to shake the what 20years in the USAF burned into me.  Working on aircraft, convention and nuclear weapon systems.  Just the facts. Black or white. No gray area. No second chances.

Blue

I often forget generations now are more sensitive.

LOL.  I'm guessing that you are younger than I am.

Rather than take a hack at someone answering your question, just ignore it if you don't like what he said.  I very commonly suggest things that I think others might do by stating that it is what I would do.

In any event, the consensus seems to be that 88-5203 *is* the upgraded damper plate.

• Like 1

Sorry guys. No attitude intended….

Blue

I’ll accept that. Most here consistently help with any problems I may have with my boat. Without their help I would have sold my boat within a year of buying it many years ago.  It’s a great forum with a lot of good people.  

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-drive-dampener-plate-all-gm-motors.html

Here ya go.  There really isn't an upgraded damper plate out there for our engines.  The stock OEM version is the go to for replacement and it has gone through some refreshing and improvements over the years.  At one point the springs were exposed on it and they have now covered those up. 

Somewhere on this forum there is at least one thread about a member using the "heavy duty" damper plate that you linked.  I remember reading it years ago when I thought about replacing with the same one and even bought one similar to the one you linked.  However, its been 12 years and I cant exactly remember, either the spline was not correct or once installed there was not enough clearance for the bell housing and I had to return it and go with the OEM.  

blk93jeepzj

15 hours ago, Blueforester said:

Just saying...

Blue

Just saying......  I do believe that my post added plenty of value for for the next person coming along.  They will realize that there is no need for "Heavy Duty" version.  1 it doesn't exist, 2 it's not needed.  

I understand it's your BU, good luck, lots of knowledgeable folks on this site that have lots of great information.   I have been through the damper plate replacement twice and have had neighbors have failures and replacements.  If you have been reading about damper plates you have probably seen my replies on many of the threads.  04-06 were notorious for failures d/t the bad castings of the bell housing and causing a misalignment which added extra stress to the damper plate, thus causing failures.  Outside of that year range it does happen but not very frequently.  If you are already in there doing the engine it's a great time to preventive maintenance and replace it. 

13 hours ago, Blueforester said:

Sorry guys. No attitude intended. Just pointing out. I often forget generations now are more sensitive. I should have not been so blunt.

I started my post "Read a post where one replaced their 05 23 LSV with same motor with one that looks like the one attached. "

I spent some time here reading on this topic. Thus, asked a question about the post of above and if any others have done it. I was not debating this topic. Or asking for opinions on what one would do with theirs. 

I just asked a question about damper plate "Upgrade."  No slam intended. I welcome any information blk93jeepzj has on damper plate upgrade options.

I guess it's hard to shake the what 20years in the USAF burned into me.  Working on aircraft, convention and nuclear weapon systems.  Just the facts. Black or white. No gray area. No second chances.

Blue

I'm not sure what generation you are, but a bunch of internet talk doesn't bother me and I'm not sensitive to it.  Water off a ducks back.

You've read one post about 1 guy that did the "Heavy Duty".  You may want to reach out to him and ask him about his experience.  How may post did you read about using the OEM because it fits and works as intended?  There really is no upgrade for the damper plate of our boats/motor.   

Thank you for your service.  My Grandfather was in the Army Air Corps as a ball turret gunner on a B-24 in WW2. 

This isn't the USAF, just a bunch of pleasure boaters that try to help each other out and provide information that has/hasn't worked for us.  Lots of trial and error and R&D out on the water.  

• Like 2