Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

old wax

Hello all, i was just curious what you all are doing to get old wax out the cracks on the rub rail, the previous owner didn't take much care while applying the wax and failed to completely wipe it all away now it's all dried hard as a rock and it's a PITA to remove. I really don't want to use a screw driver to scrap it, but i thought there must be some chemical out there that would break the wax down making it easy to remove without hurting the gel. Thanks for all your input.

I have tried a couple of things. First, if the wax is not baked on too hard you can use a soft toothbrush. Also a wooden stick cotton tipped applicator. Sharpen the wood end to look lihe a flat blade screwdriver and scrape lightly. If those fail you can take that soft toothbrush and put polish on the tooth brush and brush lightly. Then wipe the excess off. The later is what I am doing to my airplane. The previous owner waxed the plane and didn't get the wax wiped off around the rivets and edges of sheet metal panels. That wax became a collecting point for dirt and looked really bad. I've done the top side which took around 40 hours and I am working on the bottom side of the wings, belly and stabilator. I think I'll have 32 hours in that project.

Hello all, i was just curious what you all are doing to get old wax out the cracks on the rub rail, the previous owner didn't take much care while applying the wax and failed to completely wipe it all away now it's all dried hard as a rock and it's a PITA to remove. I really don't want to use a screw driver to scrap it, but i thought there must be some chemical out there that would break the wax down making it easy to remove without hurting the gel. Thanks for all your input.

I would try to check out a detail shop for car. You can get a detail brush that is similar to a paintbrush with short bristles or a large touth brush. They are fairly stiff, make the work a breeze, and dont scratch the gel coat. It is what we used at the dealership when we detailed customer boats.

What about MAGUIRE's pre-wax stripper, i believe you use this stuff before waxing to get rid of all contaminants on the vehichle surface would this maybe soften the hardened wax? is it safe to use on gell-coat? The idea of a stiff tooth brush sounds good, quick and easy i like that, time is costly!!

go to a paint supply store and get yourself some GREASE & WAX REMOVER, should be around $10 for a gallon, just apply and wipe off wax should be gone. It is used for cleaning the surface of anything prior to applying a finish, so it cleans real well. then apply your 303 for a nice black shine. I use this stuff all of the time for lots of applications. works great with little or no effort.

Edited by sauer

I can't really picture the problem so I might be missing something. With that said...

This is the rub rail on the outside of the boat, correct? Why not just take a power washer to the rub rail. I would think the water pressure would remove the built up wax.

Believe it or not...I have removed old wax with new wax. I had some stuck on my truck one time and re-wax'd with a good quality carnuba and wiped it off almost immediately. Came right off, NP

Dontknow.gif

Believe it or not...I have removed old wax with new wax. I had some stuck on my truck one time and re-wax'd with a good quality carnuba and wiped it off almost immediately. Came right off, NP

Dontknow.gif

Yeah, unless the wax is in some wierd place, you should be able to wipe it off with a regular pre-wax cleaner/glaze or a cleaner wax itself. Spraying with some quick detailer might work as well.

If the problem is wax on your rubber rubrail, then try some Mothers Back to Black to restore the black rubrail.