Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DD owners...

1FootDan

Back seat...  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Do you leave your back seat in the boat?

• Yes, and it is usefull.
    • Yes, but it is in the way more than anything.
    • No, takes up to much room and isn't really usfull.
    • I am not a DD owner but want to see the results...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• 88Skier

• NorCaliBu

• martinarcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good thing Hank has gone back into hiding and Jerry is too busy 'working' to comment. ;)

Thanks for carrying the USA.gif for us, Jack. It'd be a crime for comments like Michael's to go unnoticed by the masses. Keep up the good 'work' here while I'm out actually contributing to our country's GNP. Thumbup.gif

Mine spends 80% of the time on the floor in the back and 20% up as a sundeck. When it's up, the launch seats serve as the back seats and a fat sack takes up the floor underneath.

Daniel

Mine is a three part cushion, the two outside seat cushions have storage underneath (boxed in) while the center cushion has no panel under the front of it, just small rails on both sides to hold it up and in place. So it can be taken out, allowing someone to climb onto or off of the swim platform without stepping on a seat while still having a place for two people to sit in the back. It works out nice.

Even now that I (regrettfully) boat a skypole and pole rack for the baords to free up floor space,

...I hope is not because of who you bought it from. ;)

• 4 months later...
Personnally, everyone I know who as a Direct Drive boat does not leave the rear seat in. I think it should possible to have it credited or exchanged for 2 Launch seat (or judge seat or jump seat or whatever they call it).

On my 2006 Response, I took it out before firsyt time launching it and hasn't been in there since. What a waste of room (it takes up) and money...

I have the 23' XTi and have no problem with the room and storage availability. I store about 14 jackets, a slalom ski, combo skis, trick skis, two wakeboards, kneeboard, kids combo skis, 3 person tube (deflated), drinks in the cooler, ropes, anchor, etc. and nothing is left out to where it is in anybody's way....it all stores easily. Yahoo.gif I love my Bu!

Took mine out last fall for winter storage and had this great mind fart in the spring that I gained a lot of walk around room with it out. Hasn't been back in since. On the rare occasions when I have more then 3 people in the boat, someone sits on the floor and if they complain about the floor being wet, I point out the obvious result of their getting into the water. Duh!

• 1 month later...

Back seat out all the time, except for July fireworks on the lake. The old Infinity boat with the two small removable side seats and the low center section walk out to the platform was a great design for the hard core skier and footer. Boat is used for skiing, footing and not much idle time.

Even now that I (regrettfully) boat a skypole and pole rack for the baords to free up floor space,

...I hope is not because of who you bought it from. ;)

Hey OZ, the skypole is great. (for my eldest daughter). Still fits like a glove. Very sturdy. I'm just not a boarder..... so it's just not my thing. But, the boat isn't just for me.... it's for the family, so your pole was a great addition.

I bought a board rack during the off-season..... but it won't fit the skypole (yet). The baord rack is meant for a pylon of a smaller diameter. I'll have to do some "re-work" on the rack to fit the pole. A project for this off-season.

• 2 weeks later...
Personnally, everyone I know who as a Direct Drive boat does not leave the rear seat in. I think it should possible to have it credited or exchanged for 2 Launch seat (or judge seat or jump seat or whatever they call it).

On my 2006 Response, I took it out before firsyt time launching it and hasn't been in there since. What a waste of room (it takes up) and money...

I have the 23' XTi and have no problem with the room and storage availability. I store about 14 jackets, a slalom ski, combo skis, trick skis, two wakeboards, kneeboard, kids combo skis, 3 person tube (deflated), drinks in the cooler, ropes, anchor, etc. and nothing is left out to where it is in anybody's way....it all stores easily. Yahoo.gif I love my Bu!

Unfortunately, all that space isn't even possible for us BU owners that drive BU corvettes instead of BU buses. ;)

I only put mine in if the Wife and kids plan on cruising around. Otherwise, me and my ski buddies never have it in the boat.

Edited by areamike
  • 4 months later...

I took out the seat and put in a custom back rest that I can flip up into a sun pad. That way I can put a fat sack there when for boarding. It works out great, it actually creates more floor space AND storage. Then again my boat is an '88 the newer DD probably have a little better design... I'd post a pic but the boat is away in storage....

Edited by GeorgeWBush
  • 2 months later...

Finally completed my shed so I have a spot for my mostly unused back seat, but I pop it in pretty easily when the family is going out.

post-2790-1209055553_thumb.jpg

Finally completed my shed so I have a spot for my mostly unused back seat, but I pop it in pretty easily when the family is going out.

Hilarious! That is exactly where mine is right now too!

Edited by areamike

I was thinking about doing something like that underneath my Shorestation canopy. Attach a couple of stringers to the springs, and then if I need the seat all I have to do is reach up for the seat stored overhead the boat.

99 Sporty - never

02 RLX - never

06 RLXi - not yet

It is not useful when the boat is being used for skiing. Pleasure cruise... I could see its benefit. However, we never just pleasure cruise so mine is in the garage and going to have a permanent home in the basement shortly.

My brother had an 88 PS190 before extended pylons were around, 93 or 94. We called it the "garage couch" & it only got used as that. We got into boarding & then riding foils & installed a Skylon extended pylon in the boat. The seat went back in the boat & was immaculate compared to the rest of the interior. It got used for a while till we figured out to weight the rear of the boat. So the seat got kicked back out to the garage to make room for a fat sack/tank setup with a sun pad on top.

Then in like 99, I bought a PS205. The back seat was too big to store anywhere at my condo, so it stayed in the boat, on the lake. I modified it so I could stash 260 lbs of ballast behind it, plus stored two extra large boat bumpers, a spare prop & a prop tool kit inside the seat base, plus a sun pad on top.

I think two things indicate what you do with it...... do you tie your rope off at the pylon or the tower/extended pylon? And how creative you are at making it work in the boat. The sun pad with ballast & storage under it was the best. Probably not for many skiers though. Figure out how to make the seat store up or down & it's even better. Worked either up or down 99% of the time for us. And only occasionally removed it altogether.

Mine is a three part cushion, the two outside seat cushions have storage underneath (boxed in) while the center cushion has no panel under the front of it, just small rails on both sides to hold it up and in place. So it can be taken out, allowing someone to climb onto or off of the swim platform without stepping on a seat while still having a place for two people to sit in the back. It works out nice.

Ditto....love the SS LXI. I use to keep it in all the time but last year I started removing it because of all the foot traffic it was getting. In 10 years I am going to have one great looking center back seat cushion to put into my old tattered Bu.

Ditto....love the SS LXI. I use to keep it in all the time but last year I started removing it because of all the foot traffic it was getting. In 10 years I am going to have one great looking center back seat cushion to put into my old tattered Bu.

My Wakesetter has the same setup. I've never removed mine just because it won't reduce the weight much at all, although it might make it easier for all the foot traffic over the transom. I'll give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

Its good for sleeping after a long day on the lake and after a few beers with the buds. Crashed on the rear seat last weekend! Nice breeze, sleeping good, then my crew woke me up.... Cry.gif

I always leave mine in due to kids in the boat. More seating

AF1