Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge 3 - stows but won’t show stow

I’ve got a 2019 Malibu 25 Lsv that’s been having intermittent “wedge in drag range” warnings after 10 mph. It’s gone from intermittent to always now. This is a PW3 with the welded permanent not adjustable sensor.

I took some time to diagnose this issue and spoke with a Malibu tech on it. I verified the wedge is cycling thru its full extent (goggles on  getting pulled behind the swim platform at 5mph).  I can see it cycle perfectly thru all positions and into stow. Once in stow it runs the actuator for about 3 more minutes though apparently trying to pull it stow even though it’s already there. It blew the circuit breaker doing this once, not good. 

The main screen shows the wedge is one position from stow not in stow even though wedge is stowed.

the tech said to look at the Deutsch grey square connector port side aft of engine. It’s labeled wedge.  Make sure no connections are loose or wires pinched. Then he said to re-pin it per the service bulletin. 

here’s pics of my connector and the service bulletin showing the re-pin

https://ibb.co/yqXTsMV

https://ibb.co/GM7DLbn

Has anyone done this re-pin procedure ? What tool did you buy to do it ? Can the wires just be cut and spliced or should I repin connector ? 

im really hoping I dont need a whole new $6k wedge assy as that will take 6 months to get right now. I can still surf but cruising will either give this warning constantly or you have to run it less than 26mph with wedge in lift which eats gas. It does ride smoother in lift though since it pushes the v hull up front into the waves and cuts through chop better. 

Edited by a2t

Ok thanks ! I notice there are some deutsch connector kits on Amazon too

so what is the point of this mod ? The connector coming in from the screen has 6 wires. Going out to the wedge there’s 3.  Do I really need to swap 6 wires, are they all even connecting to anything on the back half of the connector ?  Just want to make sure before I do this I won’t mess something up.

There are lots of similar tools available out there.  I don't have any additional information about the pin swap or the reason behind it, but the last part about checking grounds is the most important. 

On 6/24/2024 at 12:38 PM, csleaver said:

There are lots of similar tools available out there.  I don't have any additional information about the pin swap or the reason behind it, but the last part about checking grounds is the most important. 

Where would I be checking the grounds for this ?

On 6/24/2024 at 1:09 PM, 23LSVOwner said:

The pin swap is to switch it over to the secondary sensor. There are 2 of them in the housing.

Ahh ok that would make sense but there is only 3 wires total going to wedge  - black red tan

i don’t understand why the front side of connector has 6 coming in from computer screen and going to wedge is only 3. How could it have 2 sensors wired like this ?

https://ibb.co/1rgSzQh

anyway we’re trying to get mobile tech out to repin it. Since it’s fully under warranty it’s best to let the Malibu dealer do this, at least that is what the service mgr said. 

1 hour ago, a2t said:

Ahh ok that would make sense but there is only 3 wires total going to wedge  - black red tan

i don’t understand why the front side of connector has 6 coming in from computer screen and going to wedge is only 3. How could it have 2 sensors wired like this ?

https://ibb.co/1rgSzQh

anyway we’re trying to get mobile tech out to repin it. Since it’s fully under warranty it’s best to let the Malibu dealer do this, at least that is what the service mgr said. 

The 3 unused wires are for the secondary sensor. Probably looking at the plugs backwards.