Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a pair of icon 8?


cl222

Recommended Posts

Hello all and thanks to everyone for such a great forum here!  I've just got a new 2023 m220...it has I guess what's called the "M220 pack" with 12 inch sub, transom remote, tower amp and a single pair of icon 8 on the tower.   When added up this comes to $11,340 listed on the build sheet!  Unbelievable!, and unfortunately does not sound all that great for the money to be honest!  It's the G5 tower and I was considering adding another pair of icon 8 to the tower...I understand it's prewired and the amp will recognize and im told will sound much better?  The dealer wants 2k.  I see icon 8s online for half that and had 2 questions....first is it truly a plug and play and will I need additional brackets or anything?  And second any opinions?...will it add much while surfing?  The boat sounds just ok stopped, but not much while surfing or wakeboarding over the engine noise.  I just got the boat so not looking for a huge investment but if I can mount myself for 1k is it a decent bang for the buck?

Thanks!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, cl222 said:

and im told will sound much better? 

Hopefully whomever told you this can explain how more of the same sounds better. Louder? Sure! More speaker surface area = more volume but the "sound" doesnt change. 

Link to comment

Well I suppose if it's louder and can hear the music a bit cleaner over the engine I would call that better aswell.  Louder is typically better in my book and there's just not alot of volume... It's weak to me, like I said it just sounds ok...I was expecting better.  Looks like I can buy from wet sounds for 599 plus mounts...ill try them out.  

Link to comment
NorCalSurfer

I have two sets of Icon 8s. Factory option for my boat was only 1 pair, the dealership added the second pair after purchase. I am pretty sure it was a plug and play. 
 

I don’t know if the two pairs make the sound better, maybe louder. Where I have problems is hearing the sound surfing from boat angle and the Bimini potentially blocking the sound. 
 

Also, it seems like the tower cans are not well insulated and inside the cabin I hear the music from out of the cans which doesn’t sound good. When we aren’t pulling a rider, I turn the tower speakers down and the sound is much better from just the cabin speakers. 

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you do this upgrade?   I’m also considering.  Was the wiring in place and did the amp recognize them?    Was the improvement noticeable? 
 

Thanks!!

Link to comment
51 minutes ago, JeffC said:

did the amp recognize them?

The impedance load p/chnl will go from 4 to 2 ohm, which is within the amp's operating perimeters.  I would suggest, if possible, loading a new amp tune from Malibu that was for that amp driving two pair. 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MLA said:

The impedance load p/chnl will go from 4 to 2 ohm, which is within the amp's operating perimeters.  I would suggest, if possible, loading a new amp tune from Malibu that was for that amp driving two pair. 

Same tune if it came with a pair of them already. Only need to change the tune if you go with a different kind.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Spelling
Link to comment

Ditch the icons and dsp amps as a whole, and completely rip and replace. One pair rev12hd on sdx4. 

Link to comment
13 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Same tune if it came with a pair of them already. Only need to change the tune if you go with a different kind.

Is this a statement or a question? The gain is not linier so the setting between 4 ohm and 2 ohm would not be the same, regardless of speaker size/type. The ideal x-over between two different sized drivers would not be the same. So, if the driver size and quantity is outside of what Malibu offered, than there is no ideal tune to load. 

Link to comment
10 hours ago, MLA said:

Is this a statement or a question? The gain is not linier so the setting between 4 ohm and 2 ohm would not be the same, regardless of speaker size/type. The ideal x-over between two different sized drivers would not be the same. So, if the driver size and quantity is outside of what Malibu offered, than there is no ideal tune to load. 

It's a statement. If they have a set of Icon 8's from the factory and add another set there is no tune change.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, MLA said:

Is this a statement or a question? The gain is not linier so the setting between 4 ohm and 2 ohm would not be the same, regardless of speaker size/type. The ideal x-over between two different sized drivers would not be the same. So, if the driver size and quantity is outside of what Malibu offered, than there is no ideal tune to load. 

Since target rms voltage =sqrt(p*r) would be the same =sqrt(150*4) or =sqrt(300*2) wouldn’t gain setting be the same? If I were tuning an amp for (1) pair of icon 8’s (4 ohm per ch) or (2) pair icon 8’s (parallel pairs 2 ohm per ch), gain would be set to exact same when tuning with scope/meter, as we’d be tuning to target voltage of 24.49. 

Doubt Malibu’s DSP amps even fulfill target rms output. 

Best bet regardless would be to replace with an off the shelf aftermarket amplifier in order to get full tunability. 

Edited by Brandonloos21
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Since target rms voltage =sqrt(p*r) would be the same =sqrt(150*4) or =sqrt(300*2) wouldn’t gain setting be the same? If I were tuning an amp for (1) pair of icon 8’s (4 ohm per ch) or (2) pair icon 8’s (parallel pairs 2 ohm per ch), gain would be set to exact same when tuning with scope/meter, as we’d be tuning to target voltage of 24.49. 

Doubt Malibu’s DSP amps even fulfill target rms output. 

Best bet regardless would be to replace with an off the shelf aftermarket amplifier in order to get full tunability. 

If you look, the amp does not double its output when going from a 4 to a 2 ohm load. So, using your example numbers, if the amp is set to deliver 150W rms to each of the existing drivers, it will deliver less that 150W to each of the four when the impedance p/chnl is changed.  This is not a massive drop, but a drop none the less. If a new tune specific to the 2 ohm p/chnl load exist, id want it loaded so we could get all that we could.  

Link to comment
4 hours ago, MLA said:

If you look, the amp does not double its output when going from a 4 to a 2 ohm load. So, using your example numbers, if the amp is set to deliver 150W rms to each of the existing drivers, it will deliver less that 150W to each of the four when the impedance p/chnl is changed.  This is not a massive drop, but a drop none the less. If a new tune specific to the 2 ohm p/chnl load exist, id want it loaded so we could get all that we could.  

Valid point! I am not super familiar with published ratings on the new wetsounds/malibu dsp amps! 

Also, knowing that these amps are already less than ideal, I would think that there would be room to desire without an amp swap. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...