Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Late 20-Teens 22 MXZ over XT22?

silentp

silentp

I believe I've finally narrowed down my next boat. I'm currently in an 03 Mastercraft X2 and in need of an upgrade. We spend 40% of the time hanging out on the water, 40% tubing (unfortunately), and 20% surfing or other. I am hoping that as my kids, 6 and 5, grow, the surfing increases. With the amount of time just hanging out, seats on the transom, flip up or otherwise, are a must. We usually have a medium crew of 4 adults and 4 kids, with a max crew of 6 adults and 6 kids. We are on a smaller lake, 145 acres, so I don't want or need anything crazy big. I like simple and easy.

Based on trying to stay sub-100k, wanting a surf wave, and wanting seats on the transom, I've pretty much narrowed it down to a 2017-2019 22 MXZ or a similar aged MC XT22 (the MB F22 Alpha is cool also but there aren't many of those out there).

I've been leaning toward the 22 MXZ based on the wave it produces and the cool options it has (thought probably anything will seem cool coming from a 2003 model boat). Anything I would be missing in making this choice? Anything to avoid or look out for? I know it was redesigned in 2017, so I'm not looking before that. 

Thanks!

That XT22 generation isn't going to throw a surf wave without lead.  The new generation throws a roller (+2022 I think).  

• Like 2
silentp

Gotta go all the way to 2022? Very helpful..22 MXZ will surf without anything additional pretty much regardless of other conditions?

6 hours ago, silentp said:

Gotta go all the way to 2022? Very helpful..22 MXZ will surf without anything additional pretty much regardless of other conditions?

Yes it will, although a 23lsv might be had for the same price in the same year.  And that extra main cabin space with your crew could be worth it also a lot more of them out there.

My previous boat was a 2017 22 MXZ and we loved it! The kids loved the large bow and it was a great place to hang out. Surf wave is excellent. I demo'd 3 Mastercrafts (X46, X30, X23) before I bought the Malibu and the MXZ wave blew them all away. It will definitely be better than a similar year XT. 

• Like 2
HollywoodBall

I was shopping 2018+ 23LSVs and ended up in a 2018 22MXZ. Just the right deal, right time, right place. Low hours, 1 year remaining factory warranty, etc etc.

The huge bow is awesome, but like everything, is a trade off for something else - big bow, smaller cabin, smaller cabin maximized with smaller storage lockers. That said, it doesn’t really feel all that much different than being in a 23LSV - I don’t think I compromised.

I’d say the biggest thing to look for besides all the obvious maintenance stuff is the screens. Small screen was delaminating on mine when I bought it but I knew I’d be kicking it to warranty. They also replaced the big screen proactively even though nothing seemed wrong with it.

The 22MXZ will porpoise some in rough water. I negated this by running 25% in the bow ballast at first, and eventually 200lbs lead in the bow (100 each pickle fork).

I’m also running 100lbs lead under the helm and in the forward storage locker under the glove box (50 port locker/50 starboard) and Wakemakers 450 PNP bags that I usually run 100%-75% listed. Shoot me a message and I’ll send you some videos of the wave if you’d like it. 

GPTempDownload.jpeg

silentp
22 hours ago, HollywoodBall said:

I was shopping 2018+ 23LSVs and ended up in a 2018 22MXZ. Just the right deal, right time, right place. Low hours, 1 year remaining factory warranty, etc etc.

The huge bow is awesome, but like everything, is a trade off for something else - big bow, smaller cabin, smaller cabin maximized with smaller storage lockers. That said, it doesn’t really feel all that much different than being in a 23LSV - I don’t think I compromised.

I’d say the biggest thing to look for besides all the obvious maintenance stuff is the screens. Small screen was delaminating on mine when I bought it but I knew I’d be kicking it to warranty. They also replaced the big screen proactively even though nothing seemed wrong with it.

The 22MXZ will porpoise some in rough water. I negated this by running 25% in the bow ballast at first, and eventually 200lbs lead in the bow (100 each pickle fork).

I’m also running 100lbs lead under the helm and in the forward storage locker under the glove box (50 port locker/50 starboard) and Wakemakers 450 PNP bags that I usually run 100%-75% listed. Shoot me a message and I’ll send you some videos of the wave if you’d like it. 

GPTempDownload.jpeg

Massive help - thank you! With the smaller lake, rough water isn't much of an issue (other than crossing your wake to pick someone up, but that's standard). Amazing wave as well - if I find my boat, I will hit you on up this wave. Thanks again!