Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tired of slip knots.

Ronnie

They look kind of clever, wonder how well they will hold during a raft up.   
I also want to really like the Phender Pros too but they just seem really expensive to me.  

Wish I had found those a year ago. Look like a good solution. May have to get some anyway. I have a plastic thingamajig that works but look as slick.

I just learned what phender pros were glad I saw this as I have this option now 

Ronnie, did you get these and try them out yet?  If so, how did they do?

Yes, I’ve had them since I posted the photo and info. I’ve used them several times at docks and tie ups. They work perfectly. Absolutely no issues. 

What size did you buy? And do I need the install kit?  I can’t tell what all is needed. The phender pro 

Edited by Soon2BV
1 hour ago, Soon2BV said:

What size did you buy? And do I need the install kit?  I can’t tell what all is needed. The phender pro 

The Phender Pros should be 1/2". That's what Malibu installs. Yes, you will need the install kit. Be careful where you install them in the hull. You need to make sure there is nothing on the inside of the hull where the inside nut is to insure the outside ring fits flush to the gel surface. They aren't hard to install. I installed these because I ended up buying this boat off my dealers floor inventory and they didn't come with that option. I always order them on my boats normally.

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

This is what I ended up with, not as slick looking but they work too.

IME, I have used these mooring balls in the past. One year I had an all black boat and started noticing small scratches on the hull where the balls rest on the gel. The balls would get static electricity on them and attract very small bits of some kind of grit or maybe it was grit from a boat I was tied up with. Just check your balls (did I just type that?) to make sure they are clean. I went with the Taylor fenders with covers in the photo after that, no more issues.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ronnie said:

IME, I have used these mooring balls in the past. One year I had an all black boat and started noticing small scratches on the hull where the balls rest on the gel. The balls would get static electricity on them and attract very small bits of some kind of grit or maybe it was grit from a boat I was tied up with. Just check your balls (did I just type that?) to make sure they are clean. I went with the Taylor fenders with covers in the photo after that, no more issues.

That's exactly what I found from fenders on my black. I have found big balls better to avoid micro scratches better than the fenders. The fenders slide up and down between boat if it rocks, the balls are pinched between and roll up and down instead of sliding. They kinda stick between and roll instead of slide between surfaces.

That being said, I have since put the sock type covers on my fenders but my balls are still naked.

Edited by dalt1

I love the babz rinse em off now and again and no issues.  Much better than any other fender I've found.  
Also @dalt1 found my phendor pros in the extra bag and tried em out this weekend with the knotbot I ordered. Very slick solution for our first tie up sat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2024 at 9:15 AM, Ronnie said:

Just check your balls (did I just type that?) to make sure they are clean.

LOL.  Reminds me of the thread about polishing trailer balls.  The whole thread got removed, and it was still well inside the line of decency (or so I thought).