Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Wakesetter VLX - a few gauges inop and bilge water

Bought subject boat last month and been getting acquainted with it slowly due to Upper Mississippi river levels have been up as well. My previous 10 years experience as a Malibu owner are with the much simpler '93 Echelon. A few things i've noticed so far:

1) gas gauge only goes to 1/2 full, then down from there - pretty sure i filled it, since gas was coming out the vent?

2) engine water temp gauge inop.... most important gauge oughta work.

3) immediately get water in the bilge upon ramp entry.... but no evidence of external leakage when i fill the bilge from the inside with a hose. At least the bilge works, but as noted in other posts, it's back at the transom and not in the deepest part of the bilge by the T-handle plug.

Have read through once, the very good thread from mainekneeboarder re: "MDC Repair" referenced/linked a few weeks ago in "05 malibu gauges" posted by Butter71 

Do the symptoms my gauges are preseting sound like MDC issues... anyone? I've removed the plugs from the gauges and sprayed with contact cleaner is all so far..... haven't been back in the water yet.  

Had a similar wet bilge issue with my Echelon.... found a hole rubbed in the fiberglass muffler, which fixed that one.... that time

Dang this Wakesetter is a deep hull to dig in.... Thanks for any insights anyone might have!

Does an 06 VLX have a HDS box? If so, it's prob cracked inside, causing the leak.

Do you have a dripless shaft seal, or packing? Either one might need maintenance to keep from leaking.

Inaccurate fuel gauges very common is almost all boat brands and models. Replae the sendr if you're really bothered by it, but most people just live with it

Engine water temp not operating is likely just failed sender and nothing to do with MDC if the other gauges are operating. That'll tell you if sender or gauges. Does the temperature needle jiggle or swing whole range when first turn on? The stepper motors in the gauges can fail, and can be replaced.  Try grounding the wire at the temperature sender.

JasonK: Does an 06 VLX have a HDS box?  if HDS is only applies to direct drives, then i think No - since this beast is a V-drive. If that is what i think not the same as DD.... sorry, it's my first V-drive, but i don't have that HDS look under my floor. will try to get eyes on the shaft seal/packing as it enters the water..... it's a fair amount of water but bilge only runs every few hours maybe - haven't timed it, but def not hourly like some leaks

17 minutes ago, uk_exile said:

Inaccurate fuel gauges very common is almost all boat brands and models. Replace the sender if you're really bothered by it, but most people just live with it

Engine water temp not operating is likely just failed sender and nothing to do with MDC if the other gauges are operating. That'll tell you if sender or gauges. Does the temperature needle jiggle or swing whole range when first turn on? The stepper motors in the gauges can fail, and can be replaced.  Try grounding the wire at the temperature sender.

thanks uk - i've been eyeing that floor panel over the fuel tank. It's not been removed in a while if ever, but assume the sender is on top of the tank? will check the gauge needle swing in a bit... appreciate the reply - saw you on those older MDC threads and glad if this isn't that!

-Water leak could also be the shaft seal on the raw water pump.  It could also be a leaking ballast hose. 
-The fuel sender wires on top of my tank  were corroded. 

formulaben
22 hours ago, MikeMohr said:

immediately get water in the bilge upon ramp entry.... but no evidence of external leakage when i fill the bilge from the inside with a hose

Is this before or after starting the engine?  Could be a cooling leak. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2024 at 8:35 PM, RebesMalibu said:

-Water leak could also be the shaft seal on the raw water pump.  It could also be a leaking ballast hose. 
-The fuel sender wires on top of my tank  were corroded. 

woke up this morning energized to get that floor panel pulled - and did. question is, how do i pull this plug off the sending unit? Straight up? signs of corrosion - want to clean it up and see if the gauge reads better. 

Having trouble inserting pics... drag n drop, or copy/paste isnt working on my pc or phone rn... Murphy's Law is my constant companion.

The fuel sender harness wires are integrated into the sender and are not removable.  There should be a 2-way Delphi connection from the boat wiring harness to fuel sender about 12"-18" away from the sender.

Posted (edited)

ok, pulled the fuel tank sending unit. When the armless float is all the way up, fuel gauge reads full. When the float is all the way down, she reads empty. only thing i can think of is either the tank wasn't really full, even tho gas came out the vent while pumping, or the float doesn't float so well anymore.... will continue to experiment with it. Any belly tank owners out there with tips on gassing up. This boat has the left & right side fillers that go into the back of the tank in the v-drive well. Does this set-up not easily fill completely full or something?  

on that leak issue, i'm seeing water as soon as she hits the water... before starting. Failed to mention it also has the FAE system and an Perko FlushPro with a big hose/valve combo right into the hull - that hose looks sorta suspect - gonna eyeball that next time it backs down the ramp. hose is pretty cracky and split looking on starboard side of V-drive.

Thanks all for your time and tips.

Edited by MikeMohr
10 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The fuel sender harness wires are integrated into the sender and are not removable.  There should be a 2-way Delphi connection from the boat wiring harness to fuel sender about 12"-18" away from the sender.

Mine had two butt connectors near the sender. I replaced them with heat shrink butt connectors. 

11 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Thanks csleaver! it was sure looking Not Removable, so i just pulled the whole unit and left it connected. Now i know for all those other connections throughout the boat. Appreciate your reply.