Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat will not start

durrettsyndrome

I think i found the impeller on my motor. Is it about 6 inches in diam. with a cover with about 6 flat head screws holding the cover in place?

6" in diameter??? Step away from the toolbox!!! You should be looking at something with 4 screws in it and roughly 3-4" in diameter.

If you are not sure what you are doing, take the boat to your dealer and let him change it out. Smoke that impeller and it will make for some troubled days on the lake.

Im sure i got it because it is directly behind the pylon. It has a hose coming into it and out of it. Thanks guys yall know your s*** appreciate it.

Just something else...I started it a couple of times in sept and oct for like 4 minutes to get the fluids throught the boat without hooking any wated up to it. The boat never overheated. Also, The checkengine light comes on but its interminent and was doing that last year but ran perfect. I have no idea what it could be. Thanks for the info.

Running it for that long with no water probably did that to the impeller. Good thing you caught it. Has it been suggested that you look in your transmission cooler for what's left of the old impeller fins? Just follow the hose from the impeller toward the engine and the first connection you come to will be where the screen is. Unhook that and dig out any rubber you see in there or they may be clogging up your system all summer.

Edited by rts
I pulled out the impeller and there is no rubber fins left..there all completely gone of partially there 8(
Remove the hose that goes from the pump to the tranny cooler, your impeller pieces are in there. You'll probably need to remove the hose from the top of the tranny cooler as well and use a thin stiff wire (I used a bicycle spoke once, it worked well) pushing down from the top, clean out the inner cooling tubes inside the tranny cooler.

oh yea i meant to ask a ?...im gonan fake a lake it tommorow to make sure everything is good to go before i go out but i read in a thread when you hook up a faucet you only need to turn it a 1/2 turn. will it hurt to do more like is it possible to feed the boat too much water? Thanks again everyone!

I think i found the impeller on my motor. Is it about 6 inches in diam. with a cover with about 6 flat head screws holding the cover in place?

6" in diameter??? Step away from the toolbox!!! You should be looking at something with 4 screws in it and roughly 3-4" in diameter.

If you are not sure what you are doing, take the boat to your dealer and let him change it out. Smoke that impeller and it will make for some troubled days on the lake.

I think durrett syndrome is also called the small p*nis syndrome. It is a symdrome where you multuply by 1.5 mesurements taughtlessly. Tease2.gifTease.gif

Edited by 1FootDan
oh yea i meant to ask a ?...im gonan fake a lake it tommorow to make sure everything is good to go before i go out but i read in a thread when you hook up a faucet you only need to turn it a 1/2 turn. will it hurt to do more like is it possible to feed the boat too much water? Thanks again everyone!

Your boat will "suck" more water than a typical garden hose can deliver, so I'd leave it on all the way, unless the fake a lake people suggest otherwise.

...i read in a thread when you hook up a faucet you only need to turn it a 1/2 turn. will it hurt to do more like is it possible to feed the boat too much water?
:unsure: Depends on the threading of the valve on your hose bib. It's not that precise of a procedure. I turn my water on all the way. None squirts out of the fake-a-lake so it's not delivering more water than the pump can handle. Unless you have ridiculously high water pressure...I wouldn't worry about it.

my boat would not start last year after checking everything i found out that my battery had a broken post inside the battery sometimes it would start sometimes it wouldent i herd a slight hissing sound when i tryed to start it and it was comind from inside the batt

sorry for the hijack, anyone remember where to get the blue impeller. it is more heat resistant or something.

www.defender.com carries the Globe (blue) impeller. They are great. Globe advertises a "15 minute run dry" capability. I have had mine in for almost 200 engine hours (3 years) and its still going strong. Might change it out this season just to be on the safe side. I use the Globe model 100J on my boat. Most recent Bu's should use that one, but I do not know about yours.

Last dumb ? im gonna ask hopefully...when i put in the impeller, i want it to rotate clockwise while you are looking at it right? Just want to make sure before i mess up and end up spending more $...oh yea thanks again everyone..i took my boat out of storage yesterday and it fired right up 8)

You don't need to worry about aligning the fins. They will align by themselves the first time you bump the engine over. Put the impeller in and before you secure the cover, turn the engine over a couple times, you'll see the fins align right up.