Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overlooked maintenance item = crappy year

Sorry to hear about that. Why did you go for engine rebuild and not just lift engine slightly and replace the oil drain?  

7 minutes ago, uk_exile said:

Sorry to hear about that. Why did you go for engine rebuild and not just lift engine slightly and replace the oil drain?  

The engine ran at idle for at least an hour with little to no oil in it to get back to the launch. I couldn't imagine it didn't have any damage. I wouldn't have been comfortable running that engine without rebuilding it.

That is one reason those hoses are clipped up high on engine.  Not sitting in bilge scum or rubbing on anything.  If it were me I would have replaced hose and if oil pressure was good then run it.  Chevy small block is a really tough motor.

Glad you are back on water.

23 minutes ago, redrooster said:

Where did you buy a replacement??

Any marine place should have them.  There are 2 styles - either a threaded elbow/block or a banjo bolt.  The banjo bolt ones are easier to install, but more likely to come loose.

Just google Boat oil drain hose and take your pick

Edited by oldjeep
On 6/12/2024 at 3:57 PM, oldjeep said:

That is one reason those hoses are clipped up high on engine.  Not sitting in bilge scum or rubbing on anything.  If it were me I would have replaced hose and if oil pressure was good then run it.  Chevy small block is a really tough motor.

Glad you are back on water.

Yeah- my hose was attached up on the top of the motor, not laying in the bilge. Never any oil in the bilge until now.

Might be a dumb question, but where is it supposed to clip to the top of the engine?

Mine has been laying in the bilge since I purchased 3 years ago. Didn't think anything of it and this thread has me worried!

TIA

2 hours ago, ChadFulton said:

Might be a dumb question, but where is it supposed to clip to the top of the engine?

Mine has been laying in the bilge since I purchased 3 years ago. Didn't think anything of it and this thread has me worried!

TIA

Some have a clip on the oil hose end to clip to the hoist point on the motor. I however, put mine through the loop that supports the transmission line running to the cooler. 

IMG_1908

• Like 3

I just drained the oil on my 02 23 lsv and was wondering how durable that drain hose is. Guess I'll keep a close eye on it.

Oil looked perfect on mine BTW. Almost felt bad getting rid of it.