Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 25LSV Software / electrical issues

I have about 40 hours on this boat.  For history, just before the first service (about 15 hours), I started seeing some weird sensor issues / actuator behavior.  Swim step alerted even though it was stowed, surf gates wouldn't retract, etc.  This was all cleared up with a software update during the first service and all has been fine until this weekend.

Onboard battery charger has been plugged in for the past week.  Unplugged on Friday afternoon and hit the water.  No problems Friday at all.  On Saturday, I noticed that the radio randomly shut off, but figured someone might have hit the screen so didn't think anything of it.  On Sunday, things started acting up.  Wedge indicator was incorrect and wedge was intermittently responsive, ballast pumps were inconsistently responsive, and ballast sensors were out of whack.  After turning of the boat and after several complete power cycles, the tank level indicators all said XX% The eventually all worked themselves out 1 by 1, but it was weird.  Strangest behavior was several times while pulling a surfer, the boat completely rebooted.  All screens went dark and radio shut off.  Boat kept going, cruise control kept working, and performance wise, nothing was noticeable.  Once it "re-booted", everything came back to normal with the exception of the cruise stayed off after it was disengaged by coming out of the throttle (kudos to my 14 year old daughter for her pulling me and having to drive the old fashioned way - she killed it!).  The radio also stayed off after re-boot, but Spotify (onboard) kept running through the entire process - no need to re-start it.  I also had a lot of Auto bilge alarms that didn't result in any water being pumped out.  Use case this weekend involved very little time with the boat off.  Maybe a few 15 minute swim breaks, but mostly only shut off between riders.  This was the longest that I have had the boat not plugged in (3 days in a row of use), but in theory running the boat that much should have kept everything charged up pretty well.  I didn't notice a difference running on either battery.  While I know that the dash voltage is not conclusive, I was consistently at 14.5V when running and never below 12.5 when shut off.

I had a bunch of kids out with us so didn't have time to do much troubleshooting.  I plan to go through all of the electrical connections to ensure that all are clean and tight, but wanted to see if anyone has any other experience with these issues or input.  Are there any recent software updates?  I have a weeklong trip coming up and don't want to deal with this during that trip.  I also don't think that I should have to bring an extension cord to charge at night :)    Appreciate any insight.

dizzygti
6 minutes ago, amartin said:

I have about 40 hours on this boat.  For history, just before the first service (about 15 hours), I started seeing some weird sensor issues / actuator behavior.  Swim step alerted even though it was stowed, surf gates wouldn't retract, etc.  This was all cleared up with a software update during the first service and all has been fine until this weekend.

Onboard battery charger has been plugged in for the past week.  Unplugged on Friday afternoon and hit the water.  No problems Friday at all.  On Saturday, I noticed that the radio randomly shut off, but figured someone might have hit the screen so didn't think anything of it.  On Sunday, things started acting up.  Wedge indicator was incorrect and wedge was intermittently responsive, ballast pumps were inconsistently responsive, and ballast sensors were out of whack.  After turning of the boat and after several complete power cycles, the tank level indicators all said XX% The eventually all worked themselves out 1 by 1, but it was weird.  Strangest behavior was several times while pulling a surfer, the boat completely rebooted.  All screens went dark and radio shut off.  Boat kept going, cruise control kept working, and performance wise, nothing was noticeable.  Once it "re-booted", everything came back to normal with the exception of the cruise stayed off after it was disengaged by coming out of the throttle (kudos to my 14 year old daughter for her pulling me and having to drive the old fashioned way - she killed it!).  The radio also stayed off after re-boot, but Spotify (onboard) kept running through the entire process - no need to re-start it.  I also had a lot of Auto bilge alarms that didn't result in any water being pumped out.  Use case this weekend involved very little time with the boat off.  Maybe a few 15 minute swim breaks, but mostly only shut off between riders.  This was the longest that I have had the boat not plugged in (3 days in a row of use), but in theory running the boat that much should have kept everything charged up pretty well.  I didn't notice a difference running on either battery.  While I know that the dash voltage is not conclusive, I was consistently at 14.5V when running and never below 12.5 when shut off.

I had a bunch of kids out with us so didn't have time to do much troubleshooting.  I plan to go through all of the electrical connections to ensure that all are clean and tight, but wanted to see if anyone has any other experience with these issues or input.  Are there any recent software updates?  I have a weeklong trip coming up and don't want to deal with this during that trip.  I also don't think that I should have to bring an extension cord to charge at night :)    Appreciate any insight.

Can't help on the electrical gremlins, but you shouldn't need to charge from shore power if you're using the boat every day.    

1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

Can't help on the electrical gremlins, but you shouldn't need to charge from shore power if you're using the boat every day.    

I agree and wouldn't expect that, but it was the only anomaly that I could point to...  I understand that if we finish off the day floating for a couple of hours and have a short run back home that the batteries would benefit from an overnight charge, but that certainly was not the case this weekend.

I have to agree that charging the batteries after each use is the best practice. 

Voltage drop caused by battery condition or by loose/corroded connections are what cause most electrical problems.  Check the battery cable connections on the battery terminals, battery selector switch and nearby breakers/ground buss bar, port aft power distribution post, starter, and engine ground post.  There are also cable connections on the three power modules, helm ground buss bar, and helm breaker panel that may need to be checked if the problems persist.

• Like 2

Hey - not sure if you have a 2023 or 2022 based on your profile.  I am currently having voltage issues which has worsened over the past few weekends on my 2023.  I will get the high voltage error code of 168 before I get the low engine battery voltage across the main screen around the same time (to be honest not sure which one comes first).  My voltage will literally jump from 14 to 12 and back in seconds.  Overall, very abnormal behavior.  Dealer came out two weeks ago and software is up to date.  I am meeting them at the boat this afternoon.  It's borderline undriveable as the error code is loud and alarming every five to ten mins.  

2 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Hey - not sure if you have a 2023 or 2022 based on your profile.  I am currently having voltage issues which has worsened over the past few weekends on my 2023.  I will get the high voltage error code of 168 before I get the low engine battery voltage across the main screen around the same time (to be honest not sure which one comes first).  My voltage will literally jump from 14 to 12 and back in seconds.  Overall, very abnormal behavior.  Dealer came out two weeks ago and software is up to date.  I am meeting them at the boat this afternoon.  It's borderline undriveable as the error code is loud and alarming every five to ten mins.  

Sorry - I have a '23.  Not sure how I got 22 in the title.

I have had zero alarms / alerts, etc. other than than the auto bilge alarm.  The wedge controls think that they are acting correctly, but in fact are not always. The ballast behavior is hit or miss.  The screens going out and "re-booting"  seems to come back online like almost nothing happened (except radio staying off and cruise being disable for the next pull (butt still working for the current pull when they go blank).  

Are your boat functions working correctly, i.e. wedge, surfgate, ballast controls, etc?  Let us know what you find out this afternoon please.

5 hours ago, amartin said:

Sorry - I have a '23.  Not sure how I got 22 in the title.

I have had zero alarms / alerts, etc. other than than the auto bilge alarm.  The wedge controls think that they are acting correctly, but in fact are not always. The ballast behavior is hit or miss.  The screens going out and "re-booting"  seems to come back online like almost nothing happened (except radio staying off and cruise being disable for the next pull (butt still working for the current pull when they go blank).  

Are your boat functions working correctly, i.e. wedge, surfgate, ballast controls, etc?  Let us know what you find out this afternoon please.

Much more than yours are.  I had some intermitting heater not staying on and stereo was fickle.  Nothing of the magnitude you are experiencing.  

This afternoon, he ran some tests and I had a bad battery.  Once installing the new battery we got the error code twice more.  Than the system seemed to recalibrate to the new battery.  He was plugged into the ECU and we monitoring vitals so we could almost see this happening.  It sat on the rack for another 30 - 45 mins and didn't flip a code while running.  This past Saturday it would have flipped the code 4- 5 times in a 30 - 45 mins run.

The tech stressed how fickle these boats are to voltage, being properly grounded and working batteries.  He was at Jeff Gordon's boat the day before (Yea, the guy that used to drive the 24.  He has a M240.) and had to replace a battery of his to fix similar type of issues.

Best of luck!  

On 6/11/2024 at 4:57 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

Much more than yours are.  I had some intermitting heater not staying on and stereo was fickle.  Nothing of the magnitude you are experiencing.  

This afternoon, he ran some tests and I had a bad battery.  Once installing the new battery we got the error code twice more.  Than the system seemed to recalibrate to the new battery.  He was plugged into the ECU and we monitoring vitals so we could almost see this happening.  It sat on the rack for another 30 - 45 mins and didn't flip a code while running.  This past Saturday it would have flipped the code 4- 5 times in a 30 - 45 mins run.

The tech stressed how fickle these boats are to voltage, being properly grounded and working batteries.  He was at Jeff Gordon's boat the day before (Yea, the guy that used to drive the 24.  He has a M240.) and had to replace a battery of his to fix similar type of issues.

Best of luck!  

This didn't fix it.  Same low / high voltage error every 3 - 5 mins with new battery.  Frequency increases when under load vs idling.  When tech left, he said if it persists, I have a bad alternator.  We are on a family lake vacation.  Gonna put dealer to a test in getting this fixed ASAP tomorrow morning.  

10 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

This didn't fix it.  Same low / high voltage error every 3 - 5 mins with new battery.  Frequency increases when under load vs idling.  When tech left, he said if it persists, I have a bad alternator.  We are on a family lake vacation.  Gonna put dealer to a test in getting this fixed ASAP tomorrow morning.  

Sorry to hear about that.  Hope you have good luck tomorrow.

I went through as much of the electrical system as I could find on mine today, so we will see what happens.  I didn't find any connections that were "loose" per say, but alot (most) that were pretty easy to get tighter.  The only one that I couldn't seem to access was the engine block ground, but the cable seemed pretty tight.

After being on the trickle charger for a week, the batteries were at 13.05 and 12.95V.  That is only .1V, but I was surprised that they were not identical.  After tightening everything up (with the switch in the off position, I turned on the boat.  I was disappointed to see the XX% for 3 of the 4 ballast tanks and the wedge showing LIFT, even though it was stowed.  I also noticed that the surf gate selection was not highlighted in CENTER, as expected.

IMG_0742.jpg.da5bd321fd5895b97d4b7ed7b855016d.jpg

I selected FILL ALL and the mid and front ballast tanks began filling, and the level indicator for the mid ballast came to life.  No response from the rear ballast, which was confirmed by trying to drain them with nothing coming out.

IMG_0746.jpg.845c6de87e735bcc51e9dcd2face3343.jpg

After selecting FILL ALL again, the rear's came to life.

IMG_0750.jpg.0a4a11d31433aae5e9cba570bafa7630.jpgIMG_0751.jpg.a3e844c4aac180626da745ce06f1d148.jpg

I was also able to select stow on the wedge and it seemed to accept that.

I went through several complete power cycles and all behaved as expected, so hopefully the system just needed to reset itself?  I guess my initial results kind of rule out the concern of not being on the trickle charger for 3 days last week (with pretty significant use each of the 3 days.)

Finally, there are the screen shots of my software version and system info.  Does anyone know if this is the most current?  I tried to check for an OTA update, but I am not sure that all updates are pushed out that way? 

IMG_0754.thumb.jpg.a2ee7fefea990ffe41e19f6471a815a9.jpgIMG_0753.thumb.jpg.56e3f1f82051917c8babbe4bfcde4257.jpg

They changed out the alternator this morning.  Seemed to have fixed it.  I'll report back tomorrow / WED.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

They changed out the alternator this morning.  Seemed to have fixed it.  I'll report back tomorrow / WED.

I hope that this solved your issues.  Next time you are on your boat, do you mind snapping a few pics of the software version, etc (my last 2 pics above) for comparison?

On 6/17/2024 at 4:36 PM, amartin said:

I hope that this solved your issues.  Next time you are on your boat, do you mind snapping a few pics of the software version, etc (my last 2 pics above) for comparison?

Here ya go.

Since alternator changed, not a hint of an issue.

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

21 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Here ya go.

Since alternator changed, not a hint of an issue.

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

Thanks for those.  Looks to be the same as mine, so that apparently isn't the culprit.  Glad you have seen some progress and hope that your alternator fixes your issues for good!

• Like 1

Back on the water today and all worked as expected,  Pulled the boat out to go on a week long family trip afterwards,  turned boat on in the driveway just to get any residual water out of the ballast tanks and got the same weird behavior x% on the ballast, wedge showed deployed, etc.  could be a long week…