Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

96 Sunsetter Leaking Raw Water Pump

I have a ‘96 Sunsetter LX with a Monsoon engine. The raw water pump has been dripping about one drop per second. I did as much web sleuthing as I could (including this site) and found that some folks have a lot of trouble replacing or repairing these pumps for various reasons.

As a result I tried to replace the seals with the pump in place on the front of the engine. I ordered a rebuild kit online (impeller, seal, o-ring, thin brass washer, bearings and gasket). Removing the old impeller was easy enough.

The hard part is getting the seal out. I ended up using two small screwdrivers and some spray lubricant and just kept working it until it loosened up enough to pull it out with some small needle nose pliers. Initially a couple of small bits tore off but the majority of it came out in tact.

My inner brass washer was missing (not sure why) and the o-ring was super easy to remove. I cleaned the area thoroughly, installed the new o-ring gently, then the brass washer, then the seal using a 13/16” deep walled socket  and just gently tapped it in flush.

Then a new impeller (lubed with Dawn dish detergent), new gasket and I reinstalled the cover and no more leaks!

In hindsight the drip on my pump was coming from behind the seal but exiting the pump before the bearings so it’s not likely that they are corroded, but I have 2 new bearings (came with the kit) if they are ever needed. I also think my pump wouldn’t be that hard to remove; it’s held on by 3 bolts to the harmonic balancer. But I read horror stories about snapped bolts and other issues so decided just to do it in place.

I have some photos but I’m not sure how to upload them to this site. Anyway, I’m glad I attempted this because it was a nagging leak and now it’s fixed. Not very hard to do either, just some patience is needed to get the old seal out with the pump in place on the engine.