Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Drifts Down

2014 23LSV. About 880 hours. I’ve noticed lately that the wedge will slowly drift down from the stowed position. 

This happens a little on the water, but has been more noticeable when trailering. 

Anything to be concerned about?  Possible solutions?

IMG_1394.jpeg

Edited by RyanB

The power wedge "leaking" down more than an inch or so, primarily when the engine is started, can be caused by a faulty primary power module, or a harness wiring short circuit.  Remove the wedge down 5 amp fuse from the power module to see if the wedge continues to leak down.  If it doesn't, then the power module is the cause.  If it does, then there are likely damaged or shorted wires going to the wedge actuators. 

On 6/9/2024 at 9:29 PM, csleaver said:

The power wedge "leaking" down more than an inch or so, primarily when the engine is started, can be caused by a faulty primary power module, or a harness wiring short circuit.  Remove the wedge down 5 amp fuse from the power module to see if the wedge continues to leak down.  If it doesn't, then the power module is the cause.  If it does, then there are likely damaged or shorted wires going to the wedge actuators. 

So what if it primarily leaks when trailering and the Perko switch is “off” ?

The only thing I can think of that would cause the wedge to move when there is absolutely no power to the controlling circuits would be physical damage or wear to the bracket, fasteners, or actuators.  Unless there is a circuit or a short that bypasses the selector switch.  For example, the bilge pump circuits bypass the battery switch.

Can you raise and lower the wedge by hand? I don’t know if there is any difference between my old 2010 and your 2014 but, my 2010 had adjustment bolts on the top of the wedge housing. If the bolts were loosened it would allow me to slide the plate the rams were attached to, to raise the wedge to the fully stowed position in the housing. There was only about 1” to 1 1/2” of adjustment. Your looks to be more than that.