Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RPMs while surfing

NVBryce

NVBryce

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller. 

I am trying to dial in the surf wave on my new (to me) boat and it seems like the boat is working too hard to surf. RPMs are reaching around 4200 and the boat will not go faster than 10.6 no matter how much throttle/where cruise is set. 

Some pertinent info: I have a 2014 24mxz with the ls3. Running a 2419 prop at 6200’. All mls full piggyback rears full and 200lbs sand bags up front also. Wedge at two clicks from full.

Even with the extra weight up front it seems like it is still riding pretty bow high. Will more weight up front help the boat plane better and bring RPMs down? 

Any input is appreciated. Thanks 

4 minutes ago, NVBryce said:

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller. 

I am trying to dial in the surf wave on my new (to me) boat and it seems like the boat is working too hard to surf. RPMs are reaching around 4200 and the boat will not go faster than 10.6 no matter how much throttle/where cruise is set. 

Some pertinent info: I have a 2014 24mxz with the ls3. Running a 2419 prop at 6200’. All mls full piggyback rears full and 200lbs sand bags up front also. Wedge at two clicks from full.

Even with the extra weight up front it seems like it is still riding pretty bow high. Will more weight up front help the boat plane better and bring RPMs down? 

Any input is appreciated. Thanks 

Try no wedge first as you shouldn't be out of rpm at 4200, although maybe in that altitude with that motor you are.  If no wedge works for more speed then you know it's prop/motor. Also try surfing without the wedge too

dizzygti

Too aggressive of a prop/not enough motor/too much weight.    

NVBryce
14 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Try no wedge first as you shouldn't be out of rpm at 4200, although maybe in that altitude with that motor you are.  If no wedge works for more speed then you know it's prop/motor. Also try surfing without the wedge too

Tried no wedge. Boat seemed to be happier but surf wave was less surfable so trying to figure out what will be the best setup for me. 

Make sure you are running premium.  IIRC the one-and-done marine power LS3 was tuned on 93 octane.  91 is acceptable, but 93 octane is better though hard to get.

You need to balance the boat... so more bow weight or less weight in the rear or a combo of both.  Lead is much more compact and less messy than sand (leadwake.com).  I'd think 4-500 between walkway and bow and then probably still dump a little weight in the rear to get bow rise under control.  Putting your crew in the bow will help too, but it's cold up there right now.  Wedge 2-3.  That will give you a long wave.  If you want a shorter steeper (taller but not much room to go back and forth), a bit more weight in the rear or wedge to 4 would be OK.  But the boat works super hard to push a wedge at 4.

And as @teamerickson points out... altitude is probably going to be your limiter.  Head down the hill and your boat will feel like a monster.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, NVBryce said:

Tried no wedge. Boat seemed to be happier but surf wave was less surfable so trying to figure out what will be the best setup for me. 

OK so it's motor /prop limits, if you can't get lower then get a better prop or find your balance for what you're boat can push and accept it there not a lot else you can do 

NVBryce
On 6/10/2024 at 9:26 AM, shawndoggy said:

Make sure you are running premium.  IIRC the one-and-done marine power LS3 was tuned on 93 octane.  91 is acceptable, but 93 octane is better though hard to get.

You need to balance the boat... so more bow weight or less weight in the rear or a combo of both.  Lead is much more compact and less messy than sand (leadwake.com).  I'd think 4-500 between walkway and bow and then probably still dump a little weight in the rear to get bow rise under control.  Putting your crew in the bow will help too, but it's cold up there right now.  Wedge 2-3.  That will give you a long wave.  If you want a shorter steeper (taller but not much room to go back and forth), a bit more weight in the rear or wedge to 4 would be OK.  But the boat works super hard to push a wedge at 4.

And as @teamerickson points out... altitude is probably going to be your limiter.  Head down the hill and your boat will feel like a monster.

Appreciate the info! Maybe I will grab some octane booster. Yeah seems like this is as good as it’s gonna get on Tahoe. Was looking at lead figured I would see how the sand did ($6/50lb vs $70/50lb) before making the investment. Will play around more with the wedge settings and see what the best happy medium is. 

NorCalSurfer

Check out Acme's custom fit program, maybe even call them. https://acmemarine.com/pages/custom-fit

I run the 2419 on my 2023 21 LX with M6 when I go to Tahoe. If I over fill the rear pnp bags I have the same thing happen. Overall the performance is pretty good for my boat on Tahoe with the 2419. I still have decent cruising speed. 

Where do you fill up on the lake? Homewood Marina and Sunnyside are 91 octane, Obexers is only 87 or 89. 

NVBryce
6 hours ago, NorCalSurfer said:

Check out Acme's custom fit program, maybe even call them. https://acmemarine.com/pages/custom-fit

I run the 2419 on my 2023 21 LX with M6 when I go to Tahoe. If I over fill the rear pnp bags I have the same thing happen. Overall the performance is pretty good for my boat on Tahoe with the 2419. I still have decent cruising speed. 

Where do you fill up on the lake? Homewood Marina and Sunnyside are 91 octane, Obexers is only 87 or 89. 

Good to know I’m not the only one. I saw acme has a 15x11 would be kinda curious to try that. I don’t keep my boat on the lake so I just fill with 91 at the gas station.